Saints Another Bridgewater Vs Hill Thread (1 Viewer)

ignasty

Cha Ching
Reaction score
Houston, Texas and Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I usually lurk and don't post much so please hear me out before the eye-rolling starts. It's funny seeing us fans jump ship from Bridgewater to Hill so quickly. There's even a trade Bridgewater thread which in my opinion is laughable. Look, Payton even said he played Bridgewater way too long and he was clearly under the weather. What many fans keep overlooking is yes, Hill had a great game, against backups that will be lucky to be in the NFL in 3 weeks. Hill is usually out running gadget plays against NFL starters.

People, don't get ahead of yourselves. Bridgewater had a great preseason game 1, Hill a great preseason game 2. There's a reason we don't get paid to make these decisions...fans are too emotional. Let's see how they both play as QB against #1's before there are more trade Bridgewater and Hills the backup or he's the next Steve Young threads.

If he was that great you better believe Coach Payton would have him starting right now. Hill is more valuable as a hybrid and mismatch nightmare. In my opinion, he's still way too raw to be playing QB consistently. His pay style is liable to get him a serious knee injury and his throwing accuracy still needs improvement....the second coming of Steve Young...I wish. Please, everyone, calm down a bit and be rational about this. If Hill plays against #1's next week and performs the same then I'm all ears with this being a rational debate. Until then let's take a deep breath and mark this competition as a tie as a minimum...for now.

I usually lurk and don't post much so please hear me out before the eye-rolling starts. It's funny seeing us fans jump ship from Bridgewater to Hill so quickly. There's even a trade Bridgewater thread which in my opinion is laughable. Look, Payton even said he played Bridgewater way too long and he was clearly under the weather. What many fans keep overlooking is yes, Hill had a great game, against backups that will be lucky to be in the NFL in 3 weeks. Hill is usually out running gadget plays against NFL starters.

People, don't get ahead of yourselves. Bridgewater had a great preseason game 1, Hill a great preseason game 2. There's a reason we don't get paid to make these decisions...fans are too emotional. Let's see how they both play as QB against #1's before there are more trade Bridgewater and Hills the backup or he's the next Steve Young threads.

If he was that great you better believe Coach Payton would have him starting right now. Hill is more valuable as a hybrid and mismatch nightmare. In my opinion, he's still way too raw to be playing QB consistently. His pay style is liable to get him a serious knee injury and his throwing accuracy still needs improvement....the second coming of Steve Young...I wish. Please, everyone, calm down a bit and be rational about this. If Hill plays against #1's next week and performs the same then I'm all ears with this being a rational debate. Until then let's take a deep breath and mark this competition as a tie as a minimum...for now.

There it is again. Where do you get that Teddy is accurate and Taysom isn't?

Taysom completion rates are better than Teddy. And as for accuracy Teddy's Interception rate is horrible and a clear sign his ball placement is NOT accurate. It also makes the claims I see repeated here that he is a wiz at reading the defense seem suspicious. Almost as many interceptions as TD's in the mark of top notch. Especially for a pocket passer.

Here is what I found when I actually looked. Im not trying to dis Teddy just put a rational damper on the wild claims he is so much better than Taysom. Neither is there yet.

Well, since there's another thread on it, I'll state my opinion again. At this current moment, I personally think they're both on about an even plane. Insert either of them in this current season, and we'd probably be in trouble. It's really all a bunch of what-ifs and opinions at this moment. The truth is, both look like they have the potential to blossom into a starting role soon at some point. Whether they do or not is going to be up to them.

Teddy has more NFL experience and seems to have good command of the offense. Taysom is a dual threat that can make plays when the field is covered, but can also make some good throws at times. Both need to improve to ultimately satisfy the masses of Saints fans and make life easier without Brees. We all have an opinion, and sometimes let emotions take over logical thinking. What I personally see is a pretty good competition brewing here. Payton talks very highly of them both, and that's a good thing. At the end of the day, though, there may be another guy that comes into the picture. It's easier said than done, but I'm going to try to not worry about the future and enjoy the heck out of this season, knowing that it may be Brees' final one.

There it is again. Where do you get that Teddy is accurate and Taysom isn't?

Taysom completion rates are better than Teddy. And as for accuracy Teddy's Interception rate is horrible and a clear sign his ball placement is NOT accurate. It also makes the claims I see repeated here that he is a wiz at reading the defense seem suspicious. Almost as many interceptions as TD's in the mark of top notch. Especially for a pocket passer.

Here is what I found when I actually looked. Im not trying to dis Teddy just put a rational damper on the wild claims he is so much better than Taysom. Neither is there yet.

TvT.jpg
Those stats are meaningless. You're comparing apples to mud pies. The only years you have to compare are TB's first 2 years.

A bit of homework for you (hint: its been done several times already). Compare TB's first 2 years to Drew's first 3 years (Drew didn't play his first year). And TB only truly played those 2 years. Plus Taysom doesn't even have that much to look at. A few passes here and there is all. There is a reason you need an ample number of data points to draw some kind of statistical correlation.

Am I trying to compare Drew to Teddy? Of course not.

But what it does is show that you can't use a QB's first couple of years in the NFL to determine how good they will be. Want more? Compare Teddy to Peyton M's first 2. And I can find QBs who had good first years and became poorer QBs after.

Meaningless numbers.

You can't use these stats to compare squat. They don't mean anything and certainly don't prove TH is better than TB or vice-versa.

. They don't mean anything and certainly don't prove TH is better than TB or vice-versa.
Not my point to prove Hill is better. My point is there is ZERO in teddy record to suggest there is a standout QB hidden in there. If your evidence of greatness is that Drew was also bad his first few years that is just sad.

To date TB is a mediocre QB. If there is greatness in him he is doing a great job suppressing it. None of which makes TH any better. My point is neither warrant the accolades both sides are hyping.

The best you could say about both is they have interrupted careers and they deserve a bit more time to shine or fade away. Despite all that my money is on TH not TB

If your evidence of greatness is that Drew was also bad his first few years that is just sad.
Problems with reading comprehension? Let me help.
Am I trying to compare Drew to Teddy? Of course not.

But what it does is show that you can't use a QB's first couple of years in the NFL to determine how good they will be.
At no point in my post did I imply either QB (TH or TB) was better, let alone great. My point is that those stats you are so proud of have no meaning. That you think they do is sad.

Last edited:
2020 argument.

Teddy is being groomed, Taysom is being developed. When the time comes, we'll see where they're at... and others.

2019... Teddy is the back up and Taysom is the most valuable 3rd string QB in NFL history.

Next year, IF Drew in fact hangs it up after this season... we'll have this discussion again and the preseason practices and games will matter a LOT more.

No reason to be arguing this now. Pro/Anti Taysom or Bridgewater? I'm 100% for both of these guys. Don't see why we should be choosing sides on 8/20/19.

just my humble thoughts.

2020 argument.

Teddy is being groomed, Taysom is being developed. When the time comes, we'll see where they're at... and others.

2019... Teddy is the back up and Taysom is the most valuable 3rd string QB in NFL history.

Next year, IF Drew in fact hangs it up after this season... we'll have this discussion again and the preseason practices and games will matter a LOT more.

No reason to be arguing this now. Pro/Anti Taysom or Bridgewater? I'm 100% for both of these guys. Don't see why we should be choosing sides on 8/20/19.

just my humble thoughts.

This right here...Couldn't have said it better. Thanks dutar76!

I don't think either (at this point in their career) is capable of taking over for Brees. Now that may change after each have been in the system a tad longer. I hope that Teddy stays on for the season, because if he is cut or traded, that would probably mean Taysom would be the immediate back up to Brees, which would mean no using Hill for all his other attributes to the team. He is fun to watch, whether it's on special teams, QB, running back, receiver......I do believe HIll gives us more options at QB over Teddy, but let's hope the Saints' won't have to worry about that for another 2-3 years. GEAUX DREW!!!!

I don't think either (at this point in their career) is capable of taking over for Brees. Now that may change after each have been in the system a tad longer. I hope that Teddy stays on for the season, because if he is cut or traded, that would probably mean Taysom would be the immediate back up to Brees, which would mean no using Hill for all his other attributes to the team. He is fun to watch, whether it's on special teams, QB, running back, receiver......I do believe HIll gives us more options at QB over Teddy, but let's hope the Saints' won't have to worry about that for another 2-3 years. GEAUX DREW!!!!
I have no doubt that, for this year, both will be here. Teddy will be the #2 and Hill the gadget player barring injury. I really don't see that there will be a question if both will remain on the 53.

Contracts for all 3 are up at the end of this year, so what happens in 2020 remains to be seen. Lol. I'm sure it won't happen, but theoretically we could be without any QBs next year. Heaven forbid.

The die was cast before camp. When Drew hangs it up, Teddy will get his shot. If he plays well, Payton goes with him. If he wobbles at all, Payton will immediately go shopping in the draft or FA.

Hill isn't in this conversation unless the 18th miracle happens.

Problems with reading comprehension? Let me help.

At no point in my post did I imply either QB (TH or TB) was better, let alone great. My point is that those stats you are so proud of have no meaning. That you think they do is sad.

I don't disagree with you. Look I posted the stats to challenge a couple conventional wisdoms that keep getting repeated as if they were axiomatic. For example statistically Tayson has the better career completion rate. So how does that translate into comments on here like ?Teddy is accurate and Taysom is all over the place. I also highlight Teddy's career TD to Interception ration which is horrible.

A clear indicator that his accuracy, ball placement and judgment might not comport with the picture some here paint of him as the polished, in charge, ever aware offensive general.

My purpose was not to say TH is better but to say that TB may not be equal to the hyperbole of his boosters. The same is probably true of TH's fans.

I think you read too much between the line I wrote.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom