Another DC show coming to Fox... (1 Viewer)

I thought it was God awful. So full of stereotypes, poorly used “street dialogue”, cliches and on the nose dialogue. I rolled my eyes so many times my head was hurting by the end.

Hopefully it was just the usual pilot episode clunkiness, although I seem to be in the minority. Most people seem to have enjoyed it. I’ll keep watching for a bit and hope it gets better.

That's kinda what made it more "comic book-y" for me (and part of why I liked it)
It was writ large, bold strokes and allowed us to drop right in the middle of the story

I thought it was God awful. So full of stereotypes, poorly used “street dialogue”, cliches and on the nose dialogue. I rolled my eyes so many times my head was hurting by the end.

Hopefully it was just the usual pilot episode clunkiness, although I seem to be in the minority. Most people seem to have enjoyed it. I’ll keep watching for a bit and hope it gets better.

I don't know what I expected, but I was disappointed in the pilot as well. I like Cress Williams in the lead and have always liked Damon Gupton, so I really don't think it is the actors. The show was so "clunky" with poor dialogue and plot threads that stretched my ability to suspend my disbelief. Just about every time I thought it was going to turn the corner, it would descend into another poorly written or poorly conceived scene.

I will give it another episode or two to redeem itself, but I have trouble believing that it will get better.

Its ok, but for me actually the suit just looks weird. When you are used to the suits worn by The Flash, Arrow, etc....its tough looking at that glowing suit. The show doesn't flow like the other DC shows seem to flow. I think some of it is acting for me. That being said, I am still watching it. Hope it gets a footing and gets better.

Didn't love the second episode. Honestly the show is already starting to feel formulaic two episodes in. This episode was basically the exact same as the first except with a woman being murdered instead of a kidnapping.

Also, every time Jefferson talked about how he had been LaWanda's teacher, all I could think was "How old were you when you started teaching? Six?"

They're definitely going to kill off James Remar pretty quickly, right? I mean, I don't know how busy he is these days acting-wise, nor do I know about any of Black Lighting's history or supporting characters, but he just seems ripe to be stunt casting and killed off by the end of season 1 to try and propel the series forward.

They're definitely going to kill off James Remar pretty quickly, right? I mean, I don't know how busy he is these days acting-wise, nor do I know about any of Black Lighting's history or supporting characters, but he just seems ripe to be stunt casting and killed off by the end of season 1 to try and propel the series forward.

***POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS, AT LEAST FROM THE COMICS****

In the comics Gambi was a former mob hitman that was responsible for the death of Black Lightning's father. After that he goes straight and starts trying to atone for what he did, gets involved with Black Lightning but never tells him the truth. Eventually he's killed and makes a deathbed confession about his role in Lightning's father's death, but Lightning forgives him.

OK, this episode was a little better. Still a little too cliche and melodramatic but it slid closer to the level of melodrama we are used to seeing on the CW.

The athlete's foot sex discussion was hilarious.

OK, this episode was a little better. Still a little too cliche and melodramatic but it slid closer to the level of melodrama we are used to seeing on the CW.

The athlete's foot sex discussion was hilarious.

i still think the cliche/melodrama is kinda the point

didn't understand the sniper scene though - didn't he tell her to shoot BL?

Anybody still watching this? I lost interest pretty quickly (at times the show seems preachy in a 1980's "very special epsidoe" way and Freeland seems like a hilariously and implausibly terrible city even by comic book standards) and the buzz seems to have died off in a big way. Wondering if it's worth catching up on the past couple of episodes.

Anybody still watching this? I lost interest pretty quickly (at times the show seems preachy in a 1980's "very special epsidoe" way and Freeland seems like a hilariously and implausibly terrible city even by comic book standards) and the buzz seems to have died off in a big way. Wondering if it's worth catching up on the past couple of episodes.

I tune in, but a few episodes in, it's mostly on in the background.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom