Another dumb math question (1 Viewer)

I just ate some peanut butter (a spoonful) and followed it with some Nesquick strawberry miilk. I then belched and it tasted like Captain Crunch with crunch berries....leading me to the equation:

PB + SM = (CC+cb)burp

Take that, Mr. Scientist.

The thing about stats is that, unless you're a statistician, you're not going to use it all. Maybe 10% at the most. I use stats all the time in manufacturing chart control, but I still probably only use about 5% of it.
It's all about mind exercise.
You can learn how to calculate standard deviations from raw data all freakin day long, but if you're living in the 21st century, a simple excel program is going to calculate it for you. It's just good to know where it comes from.
It's all about interpreting data now.... not how to get to it.

LOL! Hey, Jim, have you tried your hand at FGDC compliant metadata? :hihi:

The two girls in the next office here are dubbed the "Queens of Metadata." They spend all day taking scientific data/observations and making sure it fits into...uh...

"There are 334 different elements in the FGDC standard, 119 of which exist only to contain other elements."
Frequently Asked Questions on Metadata

To their astonishment, I took their entry level class and aced it. They accused me of sandbagging, claiming I had to have studied metadata before.

I hadn't. Not really. Well, you see, these girls track NOAA-type data like water salinity, temperature, barometric pressure, etc.

I used to do the exact same thing with beans...butter...bullets...bandaids...rifles...Abrams tanks...only we called it Brigade Battle Simulation. :hihi:

im at UL Lafayette. i switched from mechanical engineering to finance 2 years ago. with all the calculus and physics classes i took in engineering, stat was a piece of cake compared to the other courses. the class i actually took was quantitative methods, which substituted for stat. pretty close to the same class though

LOL! Hey, Jim, have you tried your hand at FGDC compliant metadata? :hihi:

The two girls in the next office here are dubbed the "Queens of Metadata." They spend all day taking scientific data/observations and making sure it fits into...uh...

"There are 334 different elements in the FGDC standard, 119 of which exist only to contain other elements."
Frequently Asked Questions on Metadata

To their astonishment, I took their entry level class and aced it. They accused me of sandbagging, claiming I had to have studied metadata before.

I hadn't. Not really. Well, you see, these girls track NOAA-type data like water salinity, temperature, barometric pressure, etc.

I used to do the exact same thing with beans...butter...bullets...bandaids...rifles...Abrams tanks...only we called it Brigade Battle Simulation. :hihi:

I'm not familiar with FGDC, but pretty much a good bit of my job is taken up with meta data, I help design, build and implement data management systems.

The thing about stats is that, unless you're a statistician, you're not going to use it all. Maybe 10% at the most. I use stats all the time in manufacturing chart control, but I still probably only use about 5% of it.
It's all about mind exercise.
You can learn how to calculate standard deviations from raw data all freakin day long, but if you're living in the 21st century, a simple excel program is going to calculate it for you. It's just good to know where it comes from.
It's all about interpreting data now.... not how to get to it.

What annoys me is that all of the tests are closed book. Seriously, how dumb is that? What's the point in memorizing all of that... it's all about how to use it.

I understand the need to be able to calculate this stuff out by hand, it really does reinforce what it is you're actually looking at. I just wish I didn't have to spend time memorize formulas and definitions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom