Another Mac question (1 Viewer)

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience installing Windows with Boot Camp? I'm doing an installation for a friend this evening, and I would appreciate any tips or gotchas y'all might have experienced.

Thanks

yes, and its actually really self explained...i wouldnt worry much about it. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine.

Pretty simple... I installed it never touching a Mac for a friend before I got mine. It's pretty much a walk thru

It is simplicity incarnate. If you can't figure it out, go get a 3 year old to do it for you.

OK
All of you Mac cultists are bastages (except thank you for your gentle touch, authentic (edit: and jrdbrn)).:ezbill:

Instead of your Apple-loving flames, you could have mentioned:
  • That Mac can see the Windows files, but not vice versa.
  • That Mac doesn't distinguish between important Windows boot/system files and everything else, so I could warn my novice client the same (who I talked into a Mac despite the fact that I've never really used one - take that).
  • How to import libraries of speciific file types (music, images) from Windows world (on the MacBook) to Mac libraries (iPhoto and iTunes). Despite my technical skill, I still don't have an iPod (despite 1TB of music on a NAS in my home) Have y'all seen Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware ?
  • To redo the partioning through bootcamp, you have to blow away the Windows installation so that OSX has the whole disk
  • To use the latest version of boot camp, I need 10.5.2
  • That a .mac account costs $99

Granted, it WAS easy. I had some boot problems with the Windows install disk, but after that it was gravy. I'm gonna get me one of those.

Love you guys.

Last edited:
OK
All of you Mac cultists are bastages (except thank you for your gentle touch, authentic (edit: and jrdbrn)).:ezbill:

Instead of your Apple-loving flames, you could have mentioned:
  • That Mac can see the Windows files, but not vice versa.
  • That Mac doesn't distinguish between important Windows boot/system files and everything else, so I could warn my novice client the same (who I talked into a Mac despite the fact that I've never really used one - take that).
  • How to import libraries of speciific file types (music, images) from Windows world (on the MacBook) to Mac libraries (iPhoto and iTunes). Despite my technical skill, I still don't have an iPod (despite 1TB of music on a NAS in my home) Have y'all seen Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware ?
  • To redo the partioning through bootcamp, you have to blow away the Windows installation so that OSX has the whole disk
  • To use the latest version of boot camp, I need 10.5.2
  • That a .mac account costs $99

Granted, it WAS easy. I had some boot problems with the Windows install disk, but after that it was gravy. I'm gonna get me one of those.

Love you guys.

lol :p love you too :D

Since when is boot camp a PITA? I've been using it with zero problems with multiple windows o/s since it was in beta. Care to explain any specific issues you have come across?

Probably more relevant here. Note that I didn't say it doesn't work, but I find VMFusion and Parallels to be better options.

I understand Boot Camp is better in the dedicate all system resources to the OS you are running.

Other than that, I don't like -

That you have to commit for partion size for each. Obviously that can be redone, but not without some effort.

You have to actually reboot to run the other O/S. Making one or the other the default O/S wasn't intuitive, but that's probably my own :dunce:

Writing to and from partitions in the O/S requires jumping through hoops.

Backing up both partitions simultaneously requires some finesse as well.

Like I said - it does work. But the other solutions are more graceful.

You can actually use fusion with Bootcamp. It's also real simple to install. I use fusion after starting with parallels. I recommend fusion using a bootcamp partition.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom