Another metric of just how bad the LA viewership was. (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Ratings
I don’t think St. Louis needs a team. It’d be better for the Chiefs to expand their reach into St. Louis.
That's probably the best solution. St. Louis is a baseball town,and that isn't changing anytime soon. They also had an NBA franchise that eventually relocated to Atlanta.

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings
This really makes that $5 billion and counting new stadium seem like a sound investment.

Ratings
Such a transient city. A large portion of your market is from somewhere else any sport team ties usually tied to where u from

I live in Los Angeles. I keep saying this over and over and I really truly am shocked that this really simple truth somehow escapes the minds and research capabilities of a multi billion dollar company like the NFL.

I am from New Orleans. I will ALWAYS be a Saints fan. LA viewership is always going to be whack because it is essentially a city full of people from everywhere. The viewership numbers will likely skew to match closely with the nation as a whole.

It is pretty nice having a team here, I have gotten to see the Saints each of the past few seasons and the one coming up as well.

We all laugh at the fan attendance at Rams games (no Rams fans) .. but I think that is kind of the point. LA IS ACTUALLY a big enough market to warrant a team being here... but it is kind of more for the opposing fans than it is the city of LA.

That being said, lots of folks out in LA are fickle ... and making/winning the super bowl probably has/would have created more of a fan base out here. (I strongly lean to the theories about our NFCCG)

I do NOT think they need two teams here... that is the shocking part of all of this.

I got off point a little bit but... anyone who thinks viewership in LA for the Rams or Chargers is going to be high ... well they are stupid. The only way it really works is if they are playing the long game and trying to establish a team 10-15 years from now all the young kids growing up love and adore.

Say what you want about crappy LA fans ( I do hate them...) But they are very loyal to their Lakers.

Ratings
In addition to my previous comment .. one clarification: the percentages in LA will never be high but i suppose percentage is a biased way of looking at it. I’d like to see the raw total numbers ... but still

Ratings
I live in Los Angeles. I keep saying this over and over and I really truly am shocked that this really simple truth somehow escapes the minds and research capabilities of a multi billion dollar company like the NFL.

I am from New Orleans. I will ALWAYS be a Saints fan. LA viewership is always going to be whack because it is essentially a city full of people from everywhere. The viewership numbers will likely skew to match closely with the nation as a whole.

It is pretty nice having a team here, I have gotten to see the Saints each of the past few seasons and the one coming up as well.

We all laugh at the fan attendance at Rams games (no Rams fans) .. but I think that is kind of the point. LA IS ACTUALLY a big enough market to warrant a team being here... but it is kind of more for the opposing fans than it is the city of LA.

That being said, lots of folks out in LA are fickle ... and making/winning the super bowl probably has/would have created more of a fan base out here. (I strongly lean to the theories about our NFCCG)

I do NOT think they need two teams here... that is the shocking part of all of this.

I got off point a little bit but... anyone who thinks viewership in LA for the Rams or Chargers is going to be high ... well they are stupid. The only way it really works is if they are playing the long game and trying to establish a team 10-15 years from now all the young kids growing up love and adore.

Say what you want about crappy LA fans ( I do hate them...) But they are very loyal to their Lakers.
You hit on the bottom line for the NFL, which is the bottom line. A lower percentage of 5 million plus people is most likely going to be a greater number than a higher percentage of less than 2 million people.

TV revenue, merchandising and suite sells are the primary sources of NFL revenue. The NFL and the Rams will make more money from those sources with the Rams being in Los Angeles, than they ever would with the Rams being in St. Louis or smaller markets.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)