Another Police Shooting (Now in Utah) (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Cultured, sophisticated, man about town!
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
On the polar opposite spectrum of police work, our local Bass Pro was attacked by a gunman with 3 assault rifles and body armor. He fired off multiple rounds and the police arrested him without shooting him. They tasered and gang tackled him. They had every reason to shoot him.

Why would anybody ever call them for "help?"
Holy... it's like they don't even receive training. I cannot imagine any situation where an unarmed child was having a mental health crisis that I would feel comfortable calling the police. Atrocious police work here.

Holy... it's like they don't even receive training. I cannot imagine any situation where an unarmed child was having a mental health crisis that I would feel comfortable calling the police. Atrocious police work here.

My question is why would you call the police for this? Why would anyone expect the police to calm down a child. This kid needed a doctor, not police.

My question is why would you call the police for this? Why would anyone expect the police to calm down a child. This kid needed a doctor, not police.

Most PD have mental health folks on staff for this very reason. And if they don't, they have one contracted (on call).

I haven't read the story yet, but if the concern was that the kid would maybe need to be Baker Act'ed, Police, Judges, or certain medical professionals are the only ones that can do it "involuntarily".

1599617386932.png

I can't even comprehend what could have been going on in the cops mind to have pulled that trigger

Now that I read it.. from the article.

Golda Barton told KUTV she called 911 to request a crisis intervention team because her son, who has Asperger’s syndrome, was having an episode caused by “bad separation anxiety” as his mother went to work for the first time in more than a year.

“I said, ‘He’s unarmed, he doesn’t have anything, he just gets mad and he starts yelling and screaming,’” she said. “He’s a kid, he’s trying to get attention, he doesn’t know how to regulate.”

She added: “They’re supposed to come out and be able to de-escalate a situation using the most minimal force possible.”

Instead, she said, two officers went through the front door of the home and in less than five minutes were yelling “get down on the ground” before firing several shots.

“He’s a small child,” she said. “Why didn’t you just tackle him? He’s a baby. He has mental issues.”

In a briefing on Sunday, Sgt Keith Horrocks of Salt Lake City police told reporters officers were responding to reports “a juvenile was having a mental episode” and thought Cameron “had made threats to some folks with a weapon”.

Police confirmed they did not find a weapon at the scene.

if I were to guess, they maybe already had a safety plan for her son, in case he had a bad episode. He likely has a therapist or some mental health professional that has been treating him.

It's just so sad, disappointing, and apt for these times. Again, don't call the police for mental health emergencies where no one else is in danger. It's just a random draw on what you will get.

Cops get called for everything. Not good for anyone for that to be a system. This article covers a similar system to one employed near here.

Near here it means re-allocating, diverting funds from the Hamilton PD

this is part of what is meant by “de-funding”

there was also a story from Louisiana recently about a sheriff being physically aggressive with a 16-year old student.

regular cops shouldn’t be a school resource officer, either

We’ve embedded them in so many places, people don’t know who else to call or turn to. Again, this isnt good for the officers either.

It's as if they see shooting someone as the quickest and easiest way to neutralize the situation. As if people call them with an implied suggestion that someone needs to be shot.

I can't even comprehend what could have been going on in the cops mind to have pulled that trigger
I think I have a theory or a possible explanation for why these cops were influenced to act this impulsively or rashly. Admittedly, it's a very stupid set of reasons IMHO and not to be tolerated and should lead to their dismissal and/or prosecuted. I think these officers who responded were young, inexperienced CIT officers unused to dealing with domesticated situations involving kids with severe and/or emotional disorders and his bad episode led a stupid, rash decision.

I'm not saying I agree or concur with these officers' decisions, I don't. These officers involved should be suspended, fired, and have 2nd-degree murder or 1st degree manslaughter charges brought against them.

My wife teaches kindergarten, and has been trained to restrain kids (when necessary). She's taken a beating from out of control 5 year olds, but manages to not shoot them, or sit on them, or put them in a chokehold, no matter how many times I tell her she should.
My wife is a special ed teacher and goes through similar CPI training, as do most if not all of her coworkers. No one has been shot, though several children have been EP'd to the hospital over the years. EP is emergency petition and allows schools and nursing homes to send those with mental health issues to the hospital for up to 72 hours observation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom