Another Rapoport Tweet About Payton (1 Viewer)

He’s literally under contract. Why would he be out “committing” to sports journalist hacks about anything? Has any other coach under a multi-year contract “committed” to being with their team next year?

Payton’s team will be leaking this crap. Maybe he wants a new contract or him and Loomis aren’t on the same page regarding the QB position? Either way why the hell would he want to leave when he has a team that’s above average QB play away (and a bit of injury luck) from being SB contenders? Doesn’t make sense to me.

I won’t click a Rapoport article l but it seems it’s about him committing to continue coaching or retiring. And not about him running to the Cowboys or Giants like all the idiots on Twitter want on belive. Clickbait.

A complete non story. Payton has two options for 2022 - coach the Saints or retire. Technically he could ask the Saints to release him from his contract but Loomis isn’t going to let walk without compensation. I hate this time of year when the Saints aren’t in the post season. The sportsmedia have desperately wanted Payton out of New Orleans since 2006.

I wish I had the level of confidence that you guys do that this is a non-story. Payton has already stepped back from some of his other duties like serving on the competition committee. He has been in the head coach role for 15 years. It’s obviously a taxing job and he’s got a new wife who is probably commanding some attention.

The article is clear that this is not about Payton leaving to coach elsewhere. It’s based on the view that he needs a break and is considering retirement. Rapaport isn’t my favourite journalist but I doubt he’s the sort of person to go to print without semi-credible sources.

I agree with the above responses. Payton is under contract, and it is fair to say that he is not ready to retire and become a television analyst. He can return, or he can retire. Except for the annual speculative tweets by the national media--which may be a game his agent is playing to get an even bigger contract--I have not seen any evidence that he wants to retire. If he is serious about coaching for another team, that team will have to give up major compensation in draft picks--at least two first round picks.

There's a reason Sean won't respond. This nonsense of him leaving every damn year has gotten old. Sean is on vacation, he's tweeting about the Saints, but won't return your calls...
TAKE THE HINT IAN!!!

I'm not clicking on his story so what does committing to return look like? Does he declare each January, "I commit to work for the Saints next football season" and he hasn't turned in his declaration?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom