Another Rapoport Tweet About Payton (1 Viewer)

I wish I had the level of confidence that you guys do that this is a non-story. Payton has already stepped back from some of his other duties like serving on the competition committee. He has been in the head coach role for 15 years. It’s obviously a taxing job and he’s got a new wife who is probably commanding some attention.

The article is clear that this is not about Payton leaving to coach elsewhere. It’s based on the view that he needs a break and is considering retirement. Rapaport isn’t my favourite journalist but I doubt he’s the sort of person to go to print without semi-credible sources.

His stepping away from competition committee has more to do with the farce it is than his looking to shed responsibilities.

As for "journalism".. if you think what Rappaport does is "journalism" then you probably think the WWE is real. I can't help ya there.

It's like some lack critical thinking.

Payton’s team will be leaking this crap. Maybe he wants a new contract or him and Loomis aren’t on the same page regarding the QB position? Either way why the hell would he want to leave when he has a team that’s above average QB play away (and a bit of injury luck) from being SB contenders? Doesn’t make sense to me.
Loomis would never get in Sean’s way about what QB they go after unless we simply didn’t have enough money. He was never a talent guy and in general philosophy they have always agreed.

This is nothing more than trying to create a story when there is none. Sean Payton is on vacation so he's not answering direct questions at the moment. This gives so called "journalists" free reign to speculate however they please.
It's beyond ridiculous!
That was my first thought too. In the same paragraph, he writes that (1) Payton "still" has not committed to honoring a contract, and (2) Payton has been on vacation for a week. Payton "still" has not publicly committed to paying his mortgage, honoring his marriage, or paying his credit card bills. Because (1) there is no need to do that, and (2) he has been on vacation for a week.

His stepping away from competition committee has more to do with the farce it is than his looking to shed responsibilities.
Do you know that? Has he said that? Or does that assumption just fit with your preferred narrative? My recollection is only that Payton said it was “time” to step away from those responsibilities.

As for "journalism".. if you think what Rappaport does is "journalism" then you probably think the WWE is real. I can't help ya there.

It's like some lack critical thinking.
Rap has broken plenty of stories. He isn’t the best in the business but I’m confident he has a better line to the Saints than you do.

On balance, this is likely to amount to nothing and I would still expect Payton to come back next year. But it doesn’t follow that there isn’t a kernel of truth to it or that some of these considerations aren’t weighing on his mind after 15 years.

Do you know that? Has he said that? Or does that assumption just fit with your preferred narrative? My recollection is only that Payton said it was “time” to step away from those responsibilities.

Rap has broken plenty of stories. He isn’t the best in the business but I’m confident he has a better line to the Saints than you do.

On balance, this is likely to amount to nothing and I would still expect Payton to come back next year. But it doesn’t follow that there isn’t a kernel of truth to it or that some of these considerations aren’t weighing on his mind after 15 years.

The narrative is clear.

And the line to the Saints Rappaport has is same as I have.

Obviously there is interest elsewhere for Payton’s services.

But the real challenge is not from other teams, it is from TV.

Networks can openly talk to him, the way NBC was able to lock Drew while he was under contract.

And they can offer him tons of money with way less work and more important, exposure. A premium seat at a network show will almost secure his place at the hall of fame. That’s the best promotion he would find.

Jeff Duncan wrote (today)

That Sean is back from vacation with Montgomery and had his phone turned off.

He will be back in the office this week going through coaching evaluations with the staff and talking their future.

He will then be at the senior bowl, then is planning on attending the super bowl in two weeks.

After the super bowl, they are planning on evaluating current personnel and then pro personnel until free agency.

College personnel right afterwards and draft prep.

Ian Rapport is suggesting that Sean Payton May retire for a year, his evidence that he might do that is because Bruce Arians did it once and that Sean hasn’t said he won’t do it.

Bruce Arians had cancer when he did it and Sean has never mentioned nor is he behaving as if he wants to retire for a year.

I’m not saying it can’t happen, but I’d be utterly shocked if Payton left. For one, there have been absolutely no murmurs of issues within the Saints organization. Payton, Loomis, and Benson, by all accounts have had an outstanding relationship. Coach has had ZERO issues with players as well. Then there is his personal life, which seems to be rather stable.

Now I look at his coaching job. I don’t think anyone, with credibility, will look at this season and say anything other than Coach has done a rather amazing job to keep this team competitive. THIS Saints team has been pretty amazing with a No Quit attitude. We lost Jamis and still BEAT TAMPA TWICE. If we hadn’t had that one COVID game, we would have been in the playoffs. Any report that Payton’s reputation took a hit for keeping Taysom is laughable at best. Even if Taysom doesn’t work out at QB, his multiple skillsets mean he will be contributing a lot to this team.

The NFL and it’s screwed up policies would make it very hard to think just going to another organization would make it all better. I say, if he coaches, it’s in NO. However, I could also see him saying F this NFL nonsense.

Thanks to Jeff Asher. These are Rappaport...2015, 16, 17 and 2022. Lolol

Payton’s team will be leaking this crap. Maybe he wants a new contract or him and Loomis aren’t on the same page regarding the QB position? Either way why the hell would he want to leave when he has a team that’s above average QB play away (and a bit of injury luck) from being SB contenders? Doesn’t make sense to me.
If his team were to leak anything it would be through anyone other than Rappaport. That guy is a complete 2 cent hack compared to Glazer and Schefter.

This is legitimately embarrassing for NFL.com to have on their homepage. Ian is literally saying, that because Sean hasn’t publicly said “I intend to coach the Saints next season”, and because he is ignoring all of the asinine phone calls, that he is leaving for another team or retiring.

Ian Rapoport is literally the worst journalist in all of sports history.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom