Another Rapoport Tweet About Payton (1 Viewer)

Rapaport: Sean, I’m working on a story and would like confirmation that you’re returning to the Saints.

Crickets

Rapaport: Payton will not confirm he’s returning to the Saints.

I wish I had the level of confidence that you guys do that this is a non-story. Payton has already stepped back from some of his other duties like serving on the competition committee. He has been in the head coach role for 15 years. It’s obviously a taxing job and he’s got a new wife who is probably commanding some attention.

The article is clear that this is not about Payton leaving to coach elsewhere. It’s based on the view that he needs a break and is considering retirement. Rapaport isn’t my favourite journalist but I doubt he’s the sort of person to go to print without semi-credible sources.
This offseason’s Payton rumors have me worried too.
I’d like to think if he is “unsure” it’s because he’s considering retirement. There’s part of me that thinks the exit from the competition committee and things behind the scenes with the league are what’s driving this. With all the articles on the saints getting screwed every year by officials etc. maybe he’s sick of the league/coaching in that regard. I’d like to see him retire and take rogers job.
I know I’m sick of it. Good post imo.

So which team is going to throw away their season to lure Sean Payton? Lol

I'd honestly hate to see his legacy end like this. I get it, he's getting up in age and he's dealt with some tough challenges that have probably aged him more than the average coach, including recent health issues, but to me, I'd feel almost like he quit on us if he left right now.

To leave as soon as we see how tough things are without #9, I don't know, but that would just leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth despite everything he's done for us. I'd be shocked if he didn't give it another go to see if he can have success without Brees.

I doubt this is even an accurate report. I feel as though Payton probably relishes the idea of finding a long term successor before leaving, or at a minimal, having a strong run with a different QB not named Brees, even if it is just a short 2 or 3 year run with another already-established star.
On the flip side of that. Maybe he’s coming to the realization that it’s going to take a lot of work and a lot of time get the team as a whole back to where it was 5 years ago or back 10 years ago and maybe he knows he doesn’t have that much in him for another 5-10 years coaching. Maybe if he did retire it would actually be so the team would not be held up and could start moving in that new direction with fresh leadership?

Just kind of looking at the flip side potentially.

Anyone notice a pattern here? It's subtle.

The subtle pattern I see is that Rappoport obviously doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, but he's got all his bases covered to point to the tweet of his choice and say "see, I was right!"

If memory serves me correct, CSP doesn't like Rappoport and has called him out for shoddy journalism once before. Well, he didn't specifically use Rappoport's name, but it was obvious from CSP's references who he was talking about. Can't remember the specific incident....anyone else remember?

And if that's the case, no wonder CSP doesn't like him. If CSP is on vacation, tweeting about the Saints, but not taking Rappoports inquiries, it's pretty obvious CSP doesn't want to talk to Rappoport. So Rappoport publishes a trash story, which Payton will be FORCED to address at some point. What a jerk move by Rappoport. No wonder CSP doesn't like him...if that's what's really happening here, I don't like him much either!

I’m not saying it can’t happen, but I’d be utterly shocked if Payton left. For one, there have been absolutely no murmurs of issues within the Saints organization. Payton, Loomis, and Benson, by all accounts have had an outstanding relationship. Coach has had ZERO issues with players as well. Then there is his personal life, which seems to be rather stable.

Now I look at his coaching job. I don’t think anyone, with credibility, will look at this season and say anything other than Coach has done a rather amazing job to keep this team competitive. THIS Saints team has been pretty amazing with a No Quit attitude. We lost Jamis and still BEAT TAMPA TWICE. If we hadn’t had that one COVID game, we would have been in the playoffs. Any report that Payton’s reputation took a hit for keeping Taysom is laughable at best. Even if Taysom doesn’t work out at QB, his multiple skillsets mean he will be contributing a lot to this team.
There is another thing to consider: Sean Payton has been working well with Mickey Loomis and Dennis Lauscha for more than fifteen years. And they don’t leave anything to chance. Advance planning and common endeavours are as important as trust for them.

As we know, Lauscha and Loomis are part of the trust that will bring the saints to new hands, and I am sure they will have a clear idea of the future. I think Sean Payton may be interested to participate in some shape or form to this transition.

There is a lot that the New Orleans Saints can offer to Sean Payton, and as I wrote earlier, the only suitable challenger I can see is a TV gig, specially at the Sunday desk at Fox.

Scares me that he says Jones almost pulled Sean away a few years ago.

According to who? Jones?

What's Jones gonna say? "He turned me down cold. No interest whatsoever in the most prestigious franchise in the NFL." Nah....I'm sure CSP was polite and professional. And I'm sure Jones thinks "damn....almost had him. Almost!"

I'll believe he "almost" had him when CSP admits he agonized over the decision before signing a new contract with the Saints. Sounds to me like Rappoport needs money and is doing everything he knows how, just to drum up interest in his new book. But he sounds like a snake oil salesman to me. His tweets have no substance....why would I think his book does? JMO...

The subtle pattern I see is that Rappoport obviously doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, but he's got all his bases covered to point to the tweet of his choice and say "see, I was right!"

If memory serves me correct, CSP doesn't like Rappoport and has called him out for shoddy journalism once before. Well, he didn't specifically use Rappoport's name, but it was obvious from CSP's references who he was talking about. Can't remember the specific incident....anyone else remember?

And if that's the case, no wonder CSP doesn't like him. If CSP is on vacation, tweeting about the Saints, but not taking Rappoports inquiries, it's pretty obvious CSP doesn't want to talk to Rappoport. So Rappoport publishes a trash story, which Payton will be FORCED to address at some point. What a jerk move by Rappoport. No wonder CSP doesn't like him...if that's what's really happening here, I don't like him much either!

Didn't it come out a few years ago that Payton/The Saints had purposely been feeding Rapoport bad information because they couldn't stand him?

Sounds to me like Rappoport needs money and is doing everything he knows how, just to drum up interest in his new book. But he sounds like a snake oil salesman to me. His tweets have no substance....why would I think his book does? JMO...
The book mentioned in that linked article is his (Florio's) own.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom