Another Rapoport Tweet About Payton (1 Viewer)

When has Sean Payton ever not said what was on his mind.
I do not believe that he would leave Mrs. Benson hanging during head coach hiring season. If he was going to retire the Saints would have already known.
Not buying it.

This is nothing more than trying to create a story when there is none. Sean Payton is on vacation so he's not answering direct questions at the moment. This gives so called "journalists" free reign to speculate however they please.
It's beyond ridiculous!
They desperately want CSP out of New Orleans so that we will, hopefully, return to the bottom dwellers they believe we should be.

Make an article about possible coaching in areas like New York, Chicago, and Dallas, you will get a lot of attention. Thats basically all this is.

According to who? Jones?

What's Jones gonna say? "He turned me down cold. No interest whatsoever in the most prestigious franchise in the NFL." Nah....I'm sure CSP was polite and professional. And I'm sure Jones thinks "damn....almost had him. Almost!"

I'll believe he "almost" had him when CSP admits he agonized over the decision before signing a new contract with the Saints. Sounds to me like Rappoport needs money and is doing everything he knows how, just to drum up interest in his new book. But he sounds like a snake oil salesman to me. His tweets have no substance....why would I think his book does? JMO...
I get that and I hope you’re 💯 correct.

I can't see him joining another team, but I can see him retiring from coaching. Every year we make these speculation threads, but one day it's going to happen. He's already been coaching the team for more years than what is normal in the NFL.

I can't see him joining another team, but I can see him retiring from coaching. Every year we make these speculation threads, but one day it's going to happen. He's already been coaching the team for more years than what is normal in the NFL.
Me too.
This season just feels like more smoke, hopefully it’s all much ado about nothing, for at least one more year.

This. He's probably tired of the officiating and direction of the NFL under Goodell- in addition to maybe just wanting to pursue other things in life.

Last edited:
He’s literally under contract. Why would he be out “committing” to sports journalist hacks about anything? Has any other coach under a multi-year contract “committed” to being with their team next year?
In all likelihood, I think Sean returns. But both Ian and Jeff’s reports are honest, though they might appear to contradict. I totally get your point about someone under contract not having to commit. It doesn’t make sense that he should have to say I’ll be back. But there are folks in the dark and not just those in the media. The best way I can explain it is that it is a lot like that year when no one knew what Drew was going to do. Same deal here. There is just uncertainty until there is certainty. And Sean is deliberate—nothing is by accident.

The two best things that can happen for the city of New Orleans and this team is for Sean to return and for him to get a young signal caller who can energize him for the next 5-10 years.

Did Sean not sign an extention last season that keeps him under contract until 2026?
He'd have to sit out 5 years before he could coach another team unless a trade is made.
If that's the case I want David Griffin making the trade demands!

This speculation and 'insider' info is not going to stop until Coach Payton goes on record on what his plans are. I will say, however, that this is the first year that I believe that he could really be considering stepping away for a year or so to recharge his batteries. This was one trying year and he did maybe his greatest coaching job in the face of unprecedented challenge on every front. I hope and still believe he will probably stay, but we need to hear that from him!

I don’t know how accurate it is, but makes sense.

As Iwrote earlier in this thread, the biggest challenge is not for other teams, but from TV. I can see Fox Sports to be very interested to replace Jimmy Johnson with Sean Payton.

They can negotiate with him now, the way NBC negotiated with Drew while he was still under contract.

For Sean, it will give him a second career, with handsome salary a way less stress. And more important, it will give you the recognition and weekly promotion to send him to the Hall of Fame.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom