Another school shooting in MI... (3 Viewers)

Did I miss something I ng?

I've seen a few tweets mentioning that the parents may be armed as well...

Is there a problem with me if I struggle to even care about this shooting? Americans kill middle eastern families with drones all the time, and no one really cares. You have very deliberate killing on the one hand and just random murder to compare it to, and people just get upset about this teen committing murder, but there’s no real anger about deliberate US killing in the Middle East. It’s kinda crazy to the point that these US teens killing classmates is pretty much meaningless to me.
Media and TV reinforces the casual ‘horrortainment’ that makes us block out the reality of violent death.
We watch shocked for a few minutes and then go back to a comedy show, but the deaths don’t resonate because the media fixates more on the killer than the killed.
Unless the victim is a celebrity or a high profile victim then the media isn’t interested. We rarely see any meaningful account of the loss that is felt by the family of the victim or their slow and painful grief stricken journey to recovery.
Even in fiction and drama we fixate on the killer or the detective. That’s what made the great Danish drama The Killing (Forbrydelsen) resonate so much.
We felt the family’s loss and pain. We felt their inner turmoil. It was uncomfortable to watch.
Unfortunately we live in a world where someone’s death is just entertainment for us. We don’t care because murder is just an ‘of the moment’ sensation in a breaking-news saturated world of video bites.
We see the blood but we don’t see the people anymore.

Last edited:
Media and TV reinforces the casual ‘horrortainment’ that makes us block out the reality of violent death.
We watch shocked for a few minutes and then go back to a comedy show, but the deaths don’t resonate because the media fixates more on the killer than the killed.
Unless the victim is a celebrity or a high profile victim then the media isn’t interested. We rarely see any meaningful account of the loss that is felt by the family of the victim or their slow and painful grief stricken journey to recovery.
Even in fiction and drama we fixate on the killer or the detective. That’s what made the great Danish drama The Killing (Forbrydelsen) resonate so much.
We felt the family’s loss and pain. We felt their inner turmoil. It was uncomfortable to watch.
Unfortunately we live in a world where someone’s death is just entertainment for us. We don’t care because murder is just an ‘of the moment’ sensation in a breaking-news saturated world of video bites.
We see the blood but we don’t see the people anymore.
It really twists my head, makes me question my own reality. After the Afghanistan withdrawal mess a family was bombed by mistake. That to me is a way bigger deal than some random kid shooting his classmates. So why is this, me just evidently having this crazy differentiation in values compared to most people. State sponsored killing just seems so much worse to me but it’s hardly newsworthy :shrug: and this random MI kid and his parents are at the top of my news feed.

It really twists my head, makes me question my own reality. After the Afghanistan withdrawal mess a family was bombed by mistake. That to me is a way bigger deal than some random kid shooting his classmates. So why is this, me just evidently having this crazy differentiation in values compared to most people. State sponsored killing just seems so much worse to me but it’s hardly newsworthy :shrug: and this random MI kid and his parents are at the top of my news feed.
I'm not really understanding your comments here after reading your earlier post.

... I really don’t care, doesn’t involve me.
If it doesn't involve you, then there's really no difference between the random MI kid and a family on the other side of the world.

I'm not really understanding your comments here after reading your earlier post.

If it doesn't involve you, then there's really no difference between the random MI kid and a family on the other side of the world.
Oh things don’t have to be consistent bro, didn’t you see the media?

Yeah the details the prosecutor presented towards the negligence by the parents is pretty sickening.

When a teacher reported that Ethan Crumbley was found searching for ammunition on his phone during class on Nov. 21, his mother was contacted by school officials.

"Jennifer Crumbley was contacted via voicemail by school personnel regarding the son's inappropriate internet search. School personnel indicate they followed that voicemail up with an e-mail but received no response from either parent," McDonald said.

"Thereafter, Jennifer Crumbley exchanged text messages about the incident with her son on that day, stating, 'lol, I'm not mad at you, you have to learn not to get caught,'" McDonald added.

McDonald said James and Jennifer Crumbley met with school officials a few hours before the shooting about concerning behavior. The prosecutor said the parents left the school without their son and he returned to the classroom.

When the news of the active shooter had been made public, Jennifer Crumbley texted her son, "Ethan, don't do it," McDonald said.

Additionally, "James Crumbley called 911 reporting that a gun was missing from his house, and he believed his son may be the shooter," McDonald said.

McDonald said the investigation found that the gun purchased by the shooter's father was stored in an unlocked drawer in James and Jennifer's bedroom.
Yep. That would be extreme negligence.

Is it possible to pursue life sentences for involuntary manslaughter?
I don't know what the maximum penalty is for that, but it's not anywhere near life. Guessing 5-10 years. That said, if they have no criminal history, (kinda blew that up after fleeing, lol) I'd be surprised if they hot much jail time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom