Another school shooting in MI... (1 Viewer)

Agreed, but that's pretty easy. The tougher question is how long is long enough? 5 years? 20 years?
I guess we'll have to see. Our justice system is really unpredictable. But one things for sure is that mandatory sentencing has proven itself to be cruel and unusual in many cases. So let's pump the brakes on this whole reactionary life imprisonment nonsense. Not directed towards you in particular, just sayin.

I guess we'll have to see. Our justice system is really unpredictable. But one things for sure is that mandatory sentencing has proven itself to be cruel and unusual in many cases. So let's pump the brakes on this whole reactionary life imprisonment nonsense. Not directed towards you in particular, just sayin.
Yeah, never was a fan of mandatory minimums. I'd rather let judges use discretion in determining sentencing.

But then you have the people who suffer from affluenza, and get probation for killing someone while drunk driving after robbing a store.

Speaking of affluenza, I hear the parents got a top-notch law firm to defend them, while they are letting their kid is getting a public defender.

Yeah, never was a fan of mandatory minimums. I'd rather let judges use discretion in determining sentencing.
I have to disagree. We need mandatory mins/maxs for the only reason that there are judges out there that would abuse their power. I know you know that. We can't trust every judge to apply the appropriate punishment on a consistent basis. If someone is guilty of something, there should be an established min/max sentence.

I have to disagree. We need mandatory mins/maxs for the only reason that there are judges out there that would abuse their power. I know you know that. We can't trust every judge to apply the appropriate punishment on a consistent basis. If someone is guilty of something, there should be an established min/max sentence.
Mandatory mins were put in place to guarantee private jails that they could maintain their operating quotas
Nothing whatsoever to do with justice
Same as 3 strike laws

Sure, but there are circumstances where I don't think they're appropriate. The 3 strikes mandatory minimums were absurd and didn't make a lot of sense in more than a few circumstances. I recognize all judges aren't created equal, but as flawed as some are, I'd still rather give them discretion, especially if a mandatory minimum doesn't take into account individual circumstances.

Mandatory mins were put in place to guarantee private jails that they could maintain their operating quotas
Nothing whatsoever to do with justice
Same as 3 strike laws

I wonder if you'd say the same thing if, say, Derek Chauvin would've gotten 5 years probation and no jail time, or how do you'd feel about the guy with his 5th DUI vehicular manslaughter ...

I wonder if you'd say the same thing if, say, Derek Chauvin would've gotten 5 years probation and no jail time, or how do you'd feel about the guy with his 5th DUI vehicular manslaughter ...
Yes my pointing out the glaring issues in the industrial prison complex means I think everyone should get probation

Yes my pointing out the glaring issues in the industrial prison complex means I think everyone should get probation

You claimed, and I quote, that mandatory mins were put in place to guarantee private jails that they could maintain their operating quotas, that mandatory sentences were.

That may be true - although you'd need to offer some evidence of that - but the other function of mandatory sentences is to assure there is some level of punishment for whatever crime was committed. If we do away with mandatory sentences - and by your comment you are clearly against them - and leave sentencing to the discretion of the judge, then it could happen that someone like Derek Chauvin could not see jail time for what he did, if he gets a sympathetic judge.

As it is, we already have cases in which people who are found guilty of felonies are set free on probation (i.e., until they are caught again).

And I am almost 100% sure that you are not going to suggest to let a jury determine the sentence.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom