Another traffic rant (1 Viewer)

Everyday on my commute across the spill way from kenner to laplace I deal with the same bs. ill be in the left lane going as fast as the left lane traffic will allow as someone will come right on my bumper and as soon as there is a gap on the right they will get over, speed up and pass the car in front of me with no blinker. There might be 12 ft of room when their car is 11ft long. This happens multiple times every single day. By the time we get off the bridge they are a whole 20 seconds ahead, but nearly caused a wreck to do so.

Another one that drives me crazy is when someone gets in a accident. Not a major one, just a fender bender. MOVE out of the travel lanes. This is a law also, just like the left lane is for passing only.
Why do you feel the need to block traffic?
Traffic Incident Management Quick Clearance Laws: A National Review of Best Practices - Driver Removal Laws - FHWA Office of Operations

Did you read the link, which is from the FHWA, not the State? Nowhere in there does it say that this is "the law" in Louisiana. In fact, it says, "approximately half of all U.S. States possess Driver Removal laws that require drivers involved in typically minor incidents to move the vehicles from the travel lanes, exchange information, and report the crash information as required. Fewer States actively publicize or enforce these laws, limiting their overall potential for effectiveness."

In litigation-happy Louisiana, this later item in your link is the reason why folks do not move vehicles:

Most drivers are reluctant to move their vehicle following a minor incident. They assume or were taught that the involved vehicles must be in their original location for law enforcement officers to properly assess responsibility and for insurance companies to offer damage reimbursement.

Just sayin'....

Did you read the link, which is from the FHWA, not the State? Nowhere in there does it say that this is "the law" in Louisiana. In fact, it says, "approximately half of all U.S. States possess Driver Removal laws that require drivers involved in typically minor incidents to move the vehicles from the travel lanes, exchange information, and report the crash information as required. Fewer States actively publicize or enforce these laws, limiting their overall potential for effectiveness."

In litigation-happy Louisiana, this later item in your link is the reason why folks do not move vehicles:

Most drivers are reluctant to move their vehicle following a minor incident. They assume or were taught that the involved vehicles must be in their original location for law enforcement officers to properly assess responsibility and for insurance companies to offer damage reimbursement.

Just sayin'....

True, but most minor accidents speak for themselves and the damage on the vehicles is enough to decide fault. (Usually someone hit somebody else in the rear). These kinds of accidents should always move IMO.

Now, if it's a side collision or something unusual - it may in the drivers' interest to wait for the officer.

So what's the hurry? I understand on major highways, and the interstate.
The speed limit is 30 Mph going through a neighborhood. I'm doing 35, if you don't like it, too bad. I'm not going to do 60 mph. You are an idiot if you fly through an area like that..
Also, I'm on a two lane highway, speed limit is 55. I'm doing 60, I left on time, I'm in no hurry. If you don't like it, pass me. That's what the dotted line in the middle of the road means. Can't stand someone riding my bumper when I'm already doing 5 over.. if it was a four lane highway, I'd get out of your way, but I'm not, so suck it..
/rant

If you're driving the limit or 5 over, you're good in my book.

Na, I usually give a good hard pump of the brakes, that usually makes them back off.. if they rear end me, it's their fault anyway. .

That's a myth. At least in LA, Wwhile there is a presumption of fault involved when you hit someone in the rear end and they will likely get a ticket, if it goes to civil court, you would have some percentage of fault for slamming on your brakes. I mean, sure, people should not tailgate, but that doesn't give you the right to essentially intentionally cause an accident by slamming on your brakes. In fact, you could be charged with reckless operation.

Another one that drives me crazy is when someone gets in a accident. Not a major one, just a fender bender. MOVE out of the travel lanes. This is a law also, just like the left lane is for passing only.
Why do you feel the need to block traffic?

Traffic Incident Management Quick Clearance Laws: A National Review of Best Practices - Driver Removal Laws - FHWA Office of Operations

Actually, I'm not sure if that is the law in LA. In fact, your link says that only half the states in the U.S. have such a law. And, even if it is, I'm not moving my car until a police officer views the accident and starts his report. Once the cars are moved, the other driver can say whatever they want happened and if the accident is not my fault, I want the Officer to view the scene as it was at the time of the accident. I'll gladly take a ticket rather than facing a lying person who sues me when the accident was their fault.

True, but most minor accidents speak for themselves and the damage on the vehicles is enough to decide fault. (Usually someone hit somebody else in the rear). These kinds of accidents should always move IMO.

Now, if it's a side collision or something unusual - it may in the drivers' interest to wait for the officer.

No way I'm moving my car. Accidents can happen in so many ways that may look like it was the fault of the person who was not at fault when the cars are moved.

For instance, I had a Cab driver turn left on green in front of me. I swerved right hoping to avoid him since the left lane was filled with cars. my left fender his his right fender. In that situation it is hard to tell who is at fault. I was lucky that a witness was standing there and saw that I had a green light when he turned in front of me. But, I wanted the officer to see the scene and to have time to take pictures. (By the way, the cab driver's defense was that he had a green light so he thought that meant he had the right of way to turn left.)

You clearly don't practice in Orleans Parish. :hihi:

That's a myth. At least in LA, Wwhile there is a presumption of fault involved when you hit someone in the rear end and they will likely get a ticket, if it goes to civil court, you would have some percentage of fault for slamming on your brakes. I mean, sure, people should not tailgate, but that doesn't give you the right to essentially intentionally cause an accident by slamming on your brakes. In fact, you could be charged with reckless operation.

Ain't my fault if an animal runs out in the road in front me.. or maybe the car in front of me hit his brakes.
He'd have a hard time proving it was intentional.. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ain't my fault if an animal runs out in the road in front me.. or maybe the car in front of me hit his brakes.
He'd have a hard time proving it was intentional.. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

In college I had a friend who tried this, her 11 year old brother had stitches clear across the top of his head from the accident that resulted from it.

Well, now we know you're willing to lie under oath if it's to your advantage.

That is an irresponsible and untruthful way to live your life.
Shame on you.

But riding inches from by bumper in a 35 mph zone in a residential area is responsible..

I'm not sure we can believe anything you have said in this thread. After all, you are willing to lie under oath. Why wouldn't you lie when you are anonymous on the internet?

I've been in 2 wrecks in my life. One my fault, one not my fault. I don't ever remember having to say anything under oath.. I dunno, maybe the judge was too busy that day to make it the accident site...
Also I'm sure the person who hit me would not say he was tailgating me either..

You can't put anything on the internet that isn't true, I read that somewhere on the internet..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom