another underwear law (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
here's the thing - i looked and didn't find anywhere that said that wearing only underwear in public is illegal
seemingly, if you wanted to, you could walk down the street in your underwear as long as your naughty bits weren't showing

then add that most of the times kids are wearing athletic shorts under their jeans - are we going to ask cops to distinguish between underwear and shorts?

Weathersby’s bill, introduced last week, would make it “unlawful for any person to wear pants, shorts or clothing bottoms that exposes underwear or body parts in an indecent or vulgar manner.”

The penalty for a first offense of the noncriminal citation is a warning, and ― for juveniles ― notifying their parents or guardians. After that, fines begin at $20 for a second offense and run up to $100 for a sixth offense. That sixth offense would also include “psychological and social counseling by the Department of Human Services and the Department of Mental Health.”
GOP Lawmaker In Mississippi Proposes Fines And Psychological Counseling For Saggy Pants | The Huffington Post

also wonder where this fits with the small govt and/or nanny state concerns of many of our citizens

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
It looks as though the loophole in this is to not wear underwear. Just need to know their definition of "underwear."

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Stupid law made by stupid people.

Don't get me wrong, I hate it, think it's trashy and would love to pop them in the *** with a pellet gun but at the end of the day it's their right to look like a dumb ***.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is to stop "saggy pants" showing waistbands. It's another way to add a charge to the main offense of "being poor and black" that's one of the top moneymakers for private prisons in Mississippi.

Gump

Which was better? Super bowl 44 or 51?
Reaction score
Good...I don't want to see somebody's underwear...

bigdaddysaints

BigDaddy Has Arrived
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
any law like this is just idiotic.
really sounds like a reason for police to stop and harass people.
so someone can wear bicycle shorts in public, but if I wear them under pants while my pants are sagging, it then becomes illegal? 'murica, I guess..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Det. Brees

E tan e epi tas
Reaction score
You know i hate seeing people walking around showing there underwear. I personally fell it shows poor character. However, to make this criminal, really. Lets make selfies criminal also!

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Is a white t-shirt considered to be underwear?

Is it underwear when you wear it under a shirt but a shirt when you don't wear anything over it?

How about long underwear? A lot of guys will have a long underwear shirt underneath a flannel shirt and roll up the flannel shirt's sleeves. Would that violate the law?

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Seventh citation requires re-education by the Thought Police.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This has been proposed and enacted before in other places, including Jefferson Parish. It's almost always directed at black males who wear their pants extremely low - but interestingly enough, the effort to end that behavior has seen support from within the black community and the NAACP.

This NPR piece about it is pretty comprehensive:

Sagging Pants And The Long History Of 'Dangerous' Street Fashion : Code Switch : NPR

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This has been proposed and enacted before in other places, including Jefferson Parish. It's almost always directed at black males who wear their pants extremely low - but interestingly enough, the effort to end that behavior has seen support from within the black community and the NAACP.

This NPR piece about it is pretty comprehensive:

Sagging Pants And The Long History Of 'Dangerous' Street Fashion : Code Switch : NPR
chuck are you sure this isn't the menace they're fighting?

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like the look, it seems to be a kid thing and I just don't get it. However, don't we have enough going on in this country at the moment that we need to take care of before we worry about people and what they are wearing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom