Ansah rising and Montgomery falling..... (1 Viewer)

Stew

Wait.....what?
Reaction score
Ezekiel Ansah - DL - Cougars
When asked who is the highest ranked on his board between LSU's Sam Montgomery, BYU's Ezekiel Ansah, or Oregon's Dion Jordan, former NFL scout Bryan Broaddus answered with Ansah.
Ansah will likely play a different position than the other two, since he projects as a left defensive end or five technique in a three man front. Jordan projects as a strong side linebacker behind a four man front or as a rush linebacker, and Montgomery may be stuck in the second-round.
Source: Bryan Broaddus on Twitter Jan 29 - 9:41 AM

Wondering if the Saints were to trade down and still have a chance at Montgomery and if could play rush OLB in a 3-4? If they did this would you be happy?

Broaddus had this to say about Ansah:
I have to be honest that I didn’t expect Ezekial Ansah of BYU to have the type of game he did for the South squad in this game. I thought there were times during the practices where he was late off the ball and didn’t play with the proper technique which kept him stuck on too many blocks. You could see the raw ability of Ansah but in the game, he played like a different player. I had seen him play like this before against Utah but that was when he was coming off the bench. In the Senior Bowl he did a much better job of using pass rush moves and playing with his hands. He put a lot of pressure on these North offensive tackles because they couldn’t handle his ability to take power than turn it into speed. When he can get the corner he is very difficult to stop if you do not set wide enough on him. What really surprised me is the power that he showed against offensive tackle Ricky Wagner of Wisconsin driving him right back into Ryan Nassib. There was another time where he did the same to David Quessenberry of San Jose State but he just ran right over the top of him getting a sack and causing a fumble. There were questions about Ansah and the lack of football that he played to this point in his career but he showed nice awareness on a waggle to his side, staying at home and knocking the pass down. In the game, Ansah played the majority of his snaps as the strong side defensive end in the Lions 4-3 and really held up well when the ball came to his side. I might be tempted to play him on the weak side and let him rush from the side because of his athletic ability and speed. See him as a better fit in this type of scheme as opposed to a 3-4 one. People are comparing him to Jason Pierre Paul because of his lack of football experience and this might be a reach but he physically reminds me of a young Jason Taylor when he came in the league.
Broaddus: Overall Impressions From Senior Bowl Week

Ezekiel Ansah - DL - Cougars
When asked who is the highest ranked on his board between LSU's Sam Montgomery, BYU's Ezekiel Ansah, or Oregon's Dion Jordan, former NFL scout Bryan Broaddus answered with Ansah.
Ansah will likely play a different position than the other two, since he projects as a left defensive end or five technique in a three man front. Jordan projects as a strong side linebacker behind a four man front or as a rush linebacker, and Montgomery may be stuck in the second-round.
Source: Bryan Broaddus on Twitter Jan 29 - 9:41 AM

Wondering if the Saints were to trade down and still have a chance at Montgomery and if could play rush OLB in a 3-4? If they did this would you be happy?
Absolutely! Trading down and still get a quality is a good thing in my book.

Absolutely! Trading down and still get a quality is a good thing in my book.

Exactly what ive been saying. A passrusher is going to get pushed down to the 2nd round. It would be beneficial for us to trade back and grab some picks and still get a passrusher.

Not sure I like how Ansah is climbing the way he is, obviously I want the guy. I still have confidence we are coming away with a stud pass rusher the first day of the draft.

One thing that has me feeling pumped though, the draft has become a lot easier trying to find players since we moved to the 3-4. No more trying to find that unique DE that can do it all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom