Opinion Anthony Davis sits in 4th quarter, limited to 25 minutes. (1 Viewer)

WestCoast Saint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I just finished watching the Pels game. When Davis got to 25 min, they sat him. He sat the entire 4th. The pels had a big enough lead that they hung on. JVG roasted the nba and implored Gayle benson to stand up for small market teams everywhere and tell the nba to screw off. Anyway, he probably won’t play tomorrow in the back-to-back per ESPN, which could lead to a $100k fine against the Pels. Total BS. Damn the nba. Who is going to pay to watch this? It’s a very ugly situation, one I’ve never seen watching the Jazz, Hornets and Pels, or anywhere else. This was supposedly an NBA mandate that Davis play. It’s almost like there is some sort of fix in on this as well. The environment is definitely artificial and controlled. Sucks. We go from the debacle in The dome to this.

The rule was put in place because Pop was resting his stars on nationally televised marquee matchups. Imagine paying a ton of money for tickets only to find that it's a bunch of role players on the court. Or more importantly for the NBA, sponsors weren't pleased to pay big money for low ratings because Pop sat Duncan, Ginobli and Parker.

AD sat in the fourth because we're trying to lose games at this point. Unfortunately, we won anyways. Technically the Pels could start him, commit a foul immediately and sit him the rest of the game, but I suspect the league likely warned against that.

I don't think he'll play in back to backs and I doubt we'll get fined for that. We'll find out tonight.

If the NBA wants to avoid this sort of thing, they should find a way to discourage the tampering and collusion that we witnessed with the Lakers/Klutch/AD/Lebron. That's the sole cause of this situation. Davis isn't acting in good faith with his current employer.

The NBA has to take steps to make the game more about teams than it is about individual stars. I thought they took a step in the right direction by fining Davis. But forcing the Pelicans into operating against their best interests for the sake of marketing an individual player is two steps back.

If it were me I wouldnt play him. If Gayle were to do that she would attract more fans.

The rule was put in place because Pop was resting his stars on nationally televised marquee matchups. Imagine paying a ton of money for tickets only to find that it's a bunch of role players on the court. Or more importantly for the NBA, sponsors weren't pleased to pay big money for low ratings because Pop sat Duncan, Ginobli and Parker.

AD sat in the fourth because we're trying to lose games at this point. Unfortunately, we won anyways. Technically the Pels could start him, commit a foul immediately and sit him the rest of the game, but I suspect the league likely warned against that.

I don't think he'll play in back to backs and I doubt we'll get fined for that. We'll find out tonight.

I get all of that, but I think this is a different situation and it goes beyond just “trying to lose games”.

This is a player who has said (as has his father) that he doesn’t want to be here anymore. His father, his agent, and media sources they leak to have all been talking about how Davis will only work with the Lakers on a new contract (so other teams shouldn’t even bid). They’ve half-heartedly walked that back a bit since then, probably to avoid even more tampering fines.

He and LeBron have both recently been fined for tampering, and Magic Johnson was fined last year for tampering.

Sitting him is the safest thing the team can do to protect themselves against all of the tampering that is CLEARLY going on.

Would you say it is far fetched that Davis/his agent would milk any potential ankle tweak, spill to the floor, etc as an “injury” to scare off other teams from submitting trade bids (while keeping the Lakers in on things)?

I’m personally not mad at Davis for not wanting to re-sign; I understand why he would want to move on. But I also understand why many fans don’t like him and want to boo him (as they did last night). I also think the way he and the Lakers have handled this could create lockeroom and coaching rifts/issues.

A team should be able to sit a player to minimize distraction/division if they choose to. For all of the mistakes the team has made (there have been plenty), they didn’t create this distraction or public tampering.

And also, half the league is tanking right now. “DNP: coach’s decision” is something we see all the time in the NBA, teams are usually to a little more under the radar about it (but like I said, these are different circumstances).

“Integrity of the league” is a pretty flimsy justification for this reaction in my opinion. It’s not as if Davis’ goals are to actually win at all costs or help New Orleans at this point.

I get all of that, but I think this is a different situation and it goes beyond just “trying to lose games”.

This is a player who has said (as has his father) that he doesn’t want to be here anymore. His father, his agent, and media sources they leak to have all been talking about how Davis will only work with the Lakers on a new contract (so other teams shouldn’t even bid). They’ve half-heartedly walked that back a bit since then, probably to avoid even more tampering fines.

He and LeBron have both recently been fined for tampering, and Magic Johnson was fined last year for tampering.

Sitting him is the safest thing the team can do to protect themselves against all of the tampering that is CLEARLY going on.

Would you say it is far fetched that Davis/his agent would milk any potential ankle tweak, spill to the floor, etc as an “injury” to scare off other teams from submitting trade bids (while keeping the Lakers in on things)?

I’m personally not mad at Davis for not wanting to re-sign; I understand why he would want to move on. But I also understand why many fans don’t like him and want to boo him (as they did last night). I also think the way he and the Lakers have handled this could create lockeroom and coaching rifts/issues.

A team should be able to sit a player to minimize distraction/division if they choose to. For all of the mistakes the team has made (there have been plenty), they didn’t create this distraction or public tampering.

And also, half the league is tanking right now. “DNP: coach’s decision” is something we see all the time in the NBA, teams are usually to a little more under the radar about it (but like I said, these are different circumstances).

“Integrity of the league” is a pretty flimsy justification for this reaction in my opinion. It’s not as if Davis’ goals are to actually win at all costs or help New Orleans at this point.
This^^^^^^^^!!
With all the tampering being committed by the Lakers, Magic Johnson, LeBron James, Anthony Davis and his father and his agent, does anyone not believe that it's not possible for Davis' agent have him fake an injury to scare off any possible trades and inform only the Lakers that it's nothing serious. I don't.

I say sit him and pay whatever the fines amount to.

Sit him, have the Pel's doctors declare some injury and in a month inform the league it was a misdiagnosis...

The rules against tanking are misplaced. A team has to have the right to do what is in their best interests. If you don't want to see this kind of thing, then make efforts to fix the blatant tampering and manipulation by the biggest stars and large market teams. This entire situation is caused by forces outside of the Pelicans' control. Are they supposed to sit back and take it?

I really want to be a fan. But the way this stuff is handled makes me way more indifferent than I should be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom