Anthony Spencer FA target ???? (2 Viewers)

A few days ago, Bill Polian was hosting the late hit show on Sirius...and he was saying the Saints should be looking hard at Anthony Spencer from Dallas in FA......and then turn around and draft another pass rusher in the first rd. It was a great idea, I admit.

To me Galette is highly inconsistent. Sometimes he makes a spectacular play....but most of the time he just AWOL in a game.....

lolwut? awol?

AWOL? Hahaha that's the first I've heard that. On a per snap basis he pressured, hit, and sacked the QB the 6th most of any DE in the 4-3.

Maybe you thought he was AWOL because in the genius that led to worst in history defense also thought it was the right move to play him 25% of the time.

And for the record Ware's only dropped into coverage on 63 snaps out of 896 snaps. Galette can easily handle that workload.

Good post :plus-un2:

lolwut? awol?

Haha I don't know WHAT he's talking about.

AWOL? Hahaha that's the first I've heard that. On a per snap basis he pressured, hit, and sacked the QB the 6th most of any DE in the 4-3.

Maybe you thought he was AWOL because in the genius that led to worst in history defense also thought it was the right move to play him 25% of the time.

And for the record Ware's only dropped into coverage on 63 snaps out of 896 snaps. Galette can easily handle that workload.

Looks like you're pretty high on him. I don't want to take Spags side by any means....but maybe he had reason to play him only 25% of the time. Sure sometimes Galette made some great plays....but then he got easily blocked. It wasn't a single game in which he dominated....I can't remember any game. But then again...W Smith always started, and he was just awful.

I think C Jordan was much better. His game got real good last season.

Looks like you're pretty high on him. I don't want to take Spags side by any means....but maybe he had reason to play him only 25% of the time. Sure sometimes Galette made some great plays....but then he got easily blocked. It wasn't a single game in which he dominated....I can't remember any game. But then again...W Smith always started, and he was just awful.

I think C Jordan was much better. His game got real good last season.

Yes I am high on him and he gets a bad rap for his run defense. Take the first TB game before his injury, he made several back to back impact run stops. He only had 66 snaps in run defense so it's not like he was always out on the field getting pushed back.

My only worry would be is that he explodes out of his 3-point stance like a spring, he gets lower than any other DE we have. How will rushing out of a 2 point stance effect his explosion?

I had zero faith in Spags personnel decisions and he did nothing to earn it.

I had zero faith in Spags personnel decisions and he did nothing to earn it.

:plus-un2:

We've just finished a season with the defence ranked bottom or near bottom of every statistical category. Maybe spags was so stubborn he couldnt / wouldnt see the benefits of changing up the personell

Id like Spencer if the price is right, but Id love to see both Tez & Gallette starting on opening day

I'd rather we just play Tez Wilson at SOLB (the position Spencer plays). Tez is much more athletic, a better pass rusher, better in coverage, but he is younger. He needs to be molded, but linebackers are RR's forte, so I think he can work wonders with Tez.

I really think one of the biggest reasons SP switched to the 3-4 was to get Tez and Galette on the field more. Both are ideal 3-4 OLBs, and both are slightly too small to play RDE in a 4-3. Galette can rush from the blind side, and Tez can lineup over the TE and split his time between coverage and blitzing.

I am sorry but this is a crazy statement IMHO. Tez has proven nothing. Spencer had double digit sacks last season. We cannot keep waiting for the "potential" of Tez or Galette or Walter Thomas or whoever the hot young name happens to be. Tez has had opportunities to show it on the field. We need a proven commodity. I am not sure Spencer is the right guy but Tez is far from the answer yet.

I'd rather we just play Tez Wilson at SOLB (the position Spencer plays). Tez is much more athletic, a better pass rusher, better in coverage, but he is younger. He needs to be molded, but linebackers are RR's forte, so I think he can work wonders with Tez.

I really think one of the biggest reasons SP switched to the 3-4 was to get Tez and Galette on the field more. Both are ideal 3-4 OLBs, and both are slightly too small to play RDE in a 4-3. Galette can rush from the blind side, and Tez can lineup over the TE and split his time between coverage and blitzing.

good analysis

Sign Spencer, draft Ansah = pass rush solved as well as depth (Gallette and Wilson).

Id like Spencer if the price is right, but Id love to see both Tez & Gallette starting on opening day

If Wilson and Galette are starting at two positions which they have never played before, two positions that are critical to the success of the defense, then we are in serious trouble.

I agree...signing Spencer or any other high priced free agent 3-4 OLB will just stunt the continued growth of guys like Galette and Wilson..our best bet is just to find that young pass rusher in the draft and coach him up. we want to keep continuity along the offensive line so that money should go to keeping bushrod a Saint (he wont command top LT money..event though he may want it). Wilson will be a good SOLB being able to cover (he did a great job on Witten vs the Cowboys when called upon) and Galette can be the Anthony Spencer or Ware of the 3-4 defense as the WOLB rushing from the weakside...we have up and coming players....no need for Spencer.

I think I like the idea of Spencer coming In with a mixture of Lofton , Hawthorne andTez manning the other lb spots. Loomis seems to take care of most of the needs in FA so we can take the BPA which should still be on the defensive side .

Nuff said dude. This mixture looks like "Momma Said Knock You Out," If we could get one DT to put the backfield Under Pressure, it's a championship.

If we grab Spencer it's likely that our LB Corps looks more like this:

Spencer Lofton Wilson Galette/Broughton/Draft Pick

Wilson can't play outside, he's not fluid enough, hips are too stiff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom