Anthony Spencer FA target ???? (1 Viewer)

MistaWhoDat

xbox GT= NO white fLAgz
Reaction score
Anthony E. Spencer II (born January 23, 1984) is an American football linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Cowboys 26th overall in the 2007 NFL Draft. He played college football at Purdue. Dont we have another Saints player from Purdue, maybe between Drew Brees and Rob Ryan we can persuade him to come to NOLA !!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xEvupuqTpOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pncvem1noMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5DVy6APfiDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'd rather we just play Tez Wilson at SOLB (the position Spencer plays). Tez is much more athletic, a better pass rusher, better in coverage, but he is younger. He needs to be molded, but linebackers are RR's forte, so I think he can work wonders with Tez.

I really think one of the biggest reasons SP switched to the 3-4 was to get Tez and Galette on the field more. Both are ideal 3-4 OLBs, and both are slightly too small to play RDE in a 4-3. Galette can rush from the blind side, and Tez can lineup over the TE and split his time between coverage and blitzing.

I'd rather we just play Tez Wilson at SOLB (the position Spencer plays). Tez is much more athletic, a better pass rusher, better in coverage, but he is younger. He needs to be molded, but linebackers are RR's forte, so I think he can work wonders with Tez.

I really think one of the biggest reasons SP switched to the 3-4 was to get Tez and Galette on the field more. Both are ideal 3-4 OLBs, and both are slightly too small to play RDE in a 4-3. Galette can rush from the blind side, and Tez can lineup over the TE and split his time between coverage and blitzing.

I keep hearing Tez will play inside linebacker in 3-4 so Spencer would play outside but im no expert on the defense.

I keep hearing Tez will play inside linebacker in 3-4 so Spencer would play outside but im no expert on the defense.

Pure board speculation. It's certainly possible, but Shanle projected him to be an OLB, and I think he'd probably know better than we would.

We already have Hawthorne, who really fits the bill as a WILB in the 3-4, and his best year was when he played WILB in Seattle's 4-3, 3-4 hybrid. Dude has gotten 100+ tackles every year he has been in the league except for last year, and he is one of our best coverage linebackers.

Well EJW (amongst a few others on the board, but I saw it originate with him) Would put Tez ILB. I think he makes very good points, and would lean towards it myself. I think his whole scheme with Lofton attacking the B gap, and Gallette coming off the edge is what I hope the coaching staff has in line.

But nothing is etched in stone yet. I think Spencer is exactly the kinda Loomis signing we will see. Rob Ryan just makes us that much more appealing to Spencer. We will fill a hole with a good FA that will not break the bank, and be ok to take BPA in the draft.

Sorry but spencer has proven an asset as a starter not a project like Wilson. No reason why we can't have both. Other than lack of money.

I think I like the idea of Spencer coming In with a mixture of Lofton , Hawthorne andTez manning the other lb spots. Loomis seems to take care of most of the needs in FA so we can take the BPA which should still be on the defensive side .

Have you seen Galette cover anybody?......or is he strictly a pass rusher, with no coverage responsibilities?

If he plays OLB, then he must be able to cover as a LB...right? I think he will have problems adjusting....

I think I like the idea of Spencer coming In with a mixture of Lofton , Hawthorne andTez manning the other lb spots. Loomis seems to take care of most of the needs in FA so we can take the BPA which should still be on the defensive side .

Agreed. That would be a top ten linebacker group easily. Combine that with our solid-looking line and we'd have a respectable defense. Grabbing Spencer would also allow us to focus on retooling our secondary and offensive line.

Have you seen Galette cover anybody?......or is he strictly a pass rusher, with no coverage responsibilities?

If he plays OLB, then he must be able to cover as a LB...right? I think he will have problems adjusting....

Have you seen Aldon Smith or Clay Mathews or DeMarcus Ware cover anybody? All of them play WOLB, which rarely drops into coverage, so Galette can play to his strengths - basically, rushing the passer nearly ever down.

The SOLB has to be able to cover, which is why I like Tez at that position. He is actually pretty darn good in coverage.

Have you seen Aldon Smith or Clay Mathews or DeMarcus Ware cover anybody? All of them play WOLB, which rarely drops into coverage, so Galette can play to his strengths - basically, rushing the passer nearly ever down.

The SOLB has to be able to cover, which is why I like Tez at that position. He is actually pretty darn good in coverage.

They all drop back to cover sometimes.....I haven't seen Galette do that. So he might be just a situational pass rusher.

They all drop back to cover sometimes.....I haven't seen Galette do that. So he might be just a situational pass rusher.

I've seen Galette drop into coverage on occasion. He isn't any worse than them. You are missing the point though. The WOLB is mostly a pass rusher, just like a RDE in the 4-3. Galette is our best pass rusher, so he will be rushing the passer for the vast majority of the game.

I've seen Galette drop into coverage on occasion. He isn't any worse than them. You are missing the point though. The WOLB is mostly a pass rusher, just like a RDE in the 4-3. Galette is our best pass rusher, so he will be rushing the passer for the vast majority of the game.

The reason I asked was that this was the topic a few days ago on Sirius, and Tim Ryan asked this exact question.....he doesn't think the Saints have the personnel to switch to a 3&4 just yet. And Kirwan agreed...

A few days ago, Bill Polian was hosting the late hit show on Sirius...and he was saying the Saints should be looking hard at Anthony Spencer from Dallas in FA......and then turn around and draft another pass rusher in the first rd. It was a great idea, I admit.

To me Galette is highly inconsistent. Sometimes he makes a spectacular play....but most of the time he just AWOL in a game.....

A few days ago, Bill Polian was hosting the late hit show on Sirius...and he was saying the Saints should be looking hard at Anthony Spencer from Dallas in FA......and then turn around and draft another pass rusher in the first rd. It was a great idea, I admit.

To me Galette is highly inconsistent. Sometimes he makes a spectacular play....but most of the time he just AWOL in a game.....

AWOL? Hahaha that's the first I've heard that. On a per snap basis he pressured, hit, and sacked the QB the 6th most of any DE in the 4-3.

Maybe you thought he was AWOL because in the genius that led to worst in history defense also thought it was the right move to play him 25% of the time.

And for the record Ware's only dropped into coverage on 63 snaps out of 896 snaps. Galette can easily handle that workload.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom