Anti-Zika efforts in South Carolina kill millions of bees (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Whoops.

On Sunday morning, the South Carolina honey bees began to die in massive numbers.

Death came suddenly to Dorchester County, S.C. Stressed insects tried to flee their nests, only to surrender in little clumps at hive entrances. The dead worker bees littering the farms suggested that colony collapse disorder was not the culprit — in that odd phenomenon, workers vanish as though raptured, leaving a living queen and young bees behind.

Instead, the dead heaps signaled the killer was less mysterious, but no less devastating. The pattern matched acute pesticide poisoning. By one estimate, at a single apiary — Flowertown Bee Farm and Supply, in Summerville — 46 hives died on the spot, totaling about 2.5 million bees.

Walking through the farm, one Summerville woman wrote on Facebook, was “like visiting a cemetery, pure sadness.”

A Clemson University scientist collected soil samples from Flowertown on Tuesday, according to WCBD-TV, to further investigate the cause of death. But to the bee farmers, the reason is already clear. Their bees had been poisoned by Dorchester’s own insecticide efforts, casualties in the war on disease-carrying mosquitoes.

On Sunday morning, parts of Dorchester County were sprayed with Naled, a common insecticide that kills mosquitoes on contact. The United States began using Naled in 1959, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, which notes that the chemical dissipates so quickly it is not a hazard to people. That said, human exposure to Naled during spraying “should not occur.”

In parts of South Carolina, trucks trailing pesticide clouds are not an unusual sight, thanks to a mosquito-control program that also includes destroying larvae. Given the current concerns of West Nile virus and Zika — there are several dozen cases of travel-related Zika in South Carolina, though the state health department reports no one has yet acquired the disease from a local mosquito bite — Dorchester decided to try something different Sunday.

It marked a departure from Dorchester County’s usual ground-based efforts. For the first time, an airplane dispensed Naled in a fine mist, raining insect death from above between 6:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. Sunday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...er-south-carolina-sprays-for-zika-mosquitoes/

Wow, that sucks.

Indeed. Dorchester County is a big agricultural area in the SC low country. Most of the farms that supply the farmers markets and local-movement food restaurant suppliers are in Dorchester. I know a lady with a family farm there and she told me last year that most of the farms now keep bees for pollination and honey.

Sucks.

Bad news. If bees continue to die off like they are and if they ever go extinct, this planet is screwed...

Bad news. If bees continue to die off like they are and if they ever go extinct, this planet is screwed...

People have been saying that for years, particularly about honey bees, and no one will listen. That's a damn same that we will end up paying for dearly in the future.

I'm trying to grow melons this year and there are no bees to pollinate the flowers. Have never had that problem before.

The RoboBees are just about ready.

I'm trying to grow melons this year and there are no bees to pollinate the flowers. Have never had that problem before.

i have ( and had ) the same issue

watermelon, cucumbers and egg plant- i have been self-pollinating with a q-tip.

it actually works.

10 years ago, my garden was full of honeybees. Today, im lucky to see one or two.

I havent seen a bumblebee in 2 years.

When i First bought the compound the guest house in the rear was overflowing with honey bees, Me and my dad were on the second floor seeing what work we need to do to repair the old home when we heard a buzzing , after ripping out some sheetrock we discovered thousands of bees and honeycombs in the wall. At first we were gonna use a agent orange airstrike,but we learned that it was against some parish code or somehthing that you cant spray honey bees , it cost me a little more to contact a bee keeper but they came out removed the queen and cut us deal if they could keep the honey. All in All even i felt better we went that route . Still see plenty of Bees even Bumble Bees over here on the northshore. But i have noticed a lack of fireflies in the past 2 years.

When i First bought the compound the guest house in the rear was overflowing with honey bees, Me and my dad were on the second floor seeing what work we need to do to repair the old home when we heard a buzzing , after ripping out some sheetrock we discovered thousands of bees and honeycombs in the wall. At first we were gonna use a agent orange airstrike,but we learned that it was against some parish code or somehthing that you cant spray honey bees , it cost me a little more to contact a bee keeper but they came out removed the queen and cut us deal if they could keep the honey. All in All even i felt better we went that route . Still see plenty of Bees even Bumble Bees over here on the northshore. But i have noticed a lack of fireflies in the past 2 years.

See how much better you feel when you don't solve problems by killing things?

:hihi:

Our garden has given us nothing and I suspect the same. It's been alternating hot/humid and rainy for weeks and weeks now, we should have tomatoes the size of watermelons, but nothing. I picked 3 little cherry tomatoes yesterday, last year at this time I was pulling gallon buckets of those things daily.

Yes! Go clowning.

Happy hunting - Show us your trophies.

Chuck you have to trade mark Clowning asap. With the rise of clown on person crime this could be a money maker. Think of the t-shirt sales , the hats, bumper stickers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom