Antibiotic Question (1 Viewer)

alon504

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I've developed an earache along with sore throat and found an antibiotic I received exactly 1 year ago for the same symptoms. Question: Are antibiotics effective that are around a year old?

I did a search and found just as many artcles saying don't do it as were saying it probably won't hurt.
You are on your own.

1) you really shouldnt leave Abx uncompleted. You are at risk for developing resistant strains and then even passing the resistance onto others.
2) You might not have enough left to fight off this infection (if you were supposed to have taken these earlier). good luck.

Earache my eye!!!
How'd you like a buttache??!?
You get your little fanny perpendicular out of bed and ready for school!

You should never, ever have leftover antibiotics. They give you that many for a reason, always finish the course no matter how well you feel.

Definitely get a new prescription. If you took enough to get better last time you probably don't have enough to complete a full course this time, which means you could easily just develop a resistant strain to that antibiotic and have to start all over again with something else.

It depends on what the expiration date was on the container that the antibiotic was initially dispensed from. (assuming this is an adult, and in pill form, of course)

And ditto to what the others said, complete the course the doctor prescribed, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom