Antibody wakes up T-cells to make cancer vanish (1 Viewer)

TheDeparted

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Tumours in several people with an advanced form of skin cancer have completely disappeared after treatment with one of three drugs that force tumour cells out of hiding. The patient's own immune system can then recognise the cancer and destroy it.

These immunotherapies highlight a promising new strategy in the war against cancer – rebooting the immune system so that it can keep cancers in check whatever tricks they spring on us.

Cancer cells should normally be spotted by T-cells – immune cells that recognise and destroy foreign material in the body. But tumour cells evolve a way of hiding themselves from T-cells by sprouting a surface molecule called a ligand. The ligand binds to and activates a receptor on the T-cell called PD-1. When PD-1 is activated the T-cell fails to recognise the cancer cell as foreign, fooling the immune system into mistaking tumours for normal tissue.

In 54 of 135 people with advanced melanoma – the most deadly form of skin cancer – tumours more than halved in volume after treatment with the first of the antibody therapies, called Lambrolizumab. Tumours disappeared altogether in six of the 57 people who were given the highest dose of this drug

Results were equally impressive with Nivolumab, a second antibody drug. Tumours more than halved in size and significantly decreased in number in 21 of 53 people with advanced melanoma who took the drug alongside another drug. Cancer vanished completely within 12 weeks in three of the 17 people who received the highest dose.

A third antibody, which unlike the previous two blocks the cancer cell ligand rather than the PD-1 receptor, produced equally impressive results in a small number of people who had other types of cancer, including lung and kidney. All three drugs are now entering larger trials involving people with skin, kidney, lung and brain cancers.

Other promising immune therapies include genetically engineering a patient's own T-cells to recognise and destroy cancer cells. Earlier this year, one person with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia was cured in just eight days after their T-cells were engineered to attack any cell with a surface molecule called CD19, which is unique to the cancerous cells.

link

This is really exciting news; biological medicines are very powerful.

I had severe plaque psoriasis a year ago (since the age of 4 actually, but never so severe as 12 months ago), and just a few months into a clinical trial for a new narrow-target biological medicine secukinumab from Novartis, I was mostly clear - and I'm clear today, for all practical purposes, taking only one self-injected dose per month. I'll be sad when the free medicine runs out :(

Very glad there are some coming out for cancers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_Z64jyMfzRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow seems like such a simple solution, in concept of course.
We can only hope that this treatment snowballs over the next few years into a full blown cure!!

I just hope they monitor everything real
close when they start the trials. Don't need a zombie apocalypse in my lifetime. Does this mean i can start smoking again?

All jokes aside this is great news.

I just had a third nipple looking squamous cell removed off my leg and a week later found several more. Sure would be nice to take a pill instead of cutting off chunks the size of golfballs.

There have been so many promising treatments to cancer lately that surely one will stick.

Yea the lack of comments is very telling of the state of people.

Yea the lack of comments is very telling of the state of people.

More like telling on the state of the media reporting on miracle cancer cures that you never hear about again. It's boy who cried wolf syndrome.

Let me guess...As with most good things, it'll be available in 1465 years from now?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom