Antonio Brown refuses to play with new certified helmets (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

that is my issue. nfl only addresses whoever is sponsoring/pushing their brand at the time.

my other issue is that dating back to the early years of football (gridiron), there were far less injuries per player than in today's game. granted, the recorded concussions were minimal, (i give the benefit of doubt due to the progression of today's health analysis) the other injuries due to equipment were substantially less than today.

i am in the belief that the more 'protection' players are afforded, the harder they are hit. the 'hitter' may feel less of an impact, but this is also true to the recipient. there is not less. there is more force provided due to the mindful security of more, but all that impact does is magnify what it would have been before; for both of the athletes.

progress is not always progress. there are harder defensive equipment vs harder offensive equipment, who is the safer in this? no one.

Because of that fact I'm in favor of them going back to the leather helmets. Players wouldn't lead with their head nearly as much if they wore them but I'm not entirely sure if it would be a net positive. Smarter people than me could answer that.

that is my issue. nfl only addresses whoever is sponsoring/pushing their brand at the time.

my other issue is that dating back to the early years of football (gridiron), there were far less injuries per player than in today's game. granted, the recorded concussions were minimal, (i give the benefit of doubt due to the progression of today's health analysis) the other injuries due to equipment were substantially less than today.

i am in the belief that the more 'protection' players are afforded, the harder they are hit. the 'hitter' may feel less of an impact, but this is also true to the recipient. there is not less. there is more force provided due to the mindful security of more, but all that impact does is magnify what it would have been before; for both of the athletes.

progress is not always progress. there are harder defensive equipment vs harder offensive equipment, who is the safer in this? no one.
I think a big part of the injuries today come from the fact that players have become bigger, stronger, and faster.(yes that was a nod to the six million dollar man). Like I said about my dad, he had a roster list from his senior year and the biggest guy on his team was 6’ 1” and was 195 pounds. When my youngest son played he was a center and was 6’5” and weighed 295. When you have these big guys in the NFL they are pretty fast. I don’t know about you but if I was hit by one of those guys I would be in the hospital for a while.

I think a big part of the injuries today come from the fact that players have become bigger, stronger, and faster.(yes that was a nod to the six million dollar man). Like I said about my dad, he had a roster list from his senior year and the biggest guy on his team was 6’ 1” and was 195 pounds. When my youngest son played he was a center and was 6’5” and weighed 295. When you have these big guys in the NFL they are pretty fast. I don’t know about you but if I was hit by one of those guys I would be in the hospital for a while.
you are totally right.

i didn't consider it. athletes today have much better access to strength training; equipment and coaches. plus the nutrition control.

(i could not figure out how to put, we can rebuild him, we have the technology... in there lol)

Can you imagine being happy a talent like AB doesn't play for your team any more? Thats how Pittsburgh feels. He's a stud, but he's insane. I'd take Mike Thomas over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Well of course he lost his grievance because it made no sense:

He had NO chance on winning the right to wear the old helmet. I doubt he even got much support from the NFLPA since the helmet rule is a joint NFL and NFLPA creation.

Can you imagine being happy a talent like AB doesn't play for your team any more? Thats how Pittsburgh feels. He's a stud, but he's insane. I'd take Mike Thomas over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
How is it some of the greatest talents are the most mentally challenged?

Unless they're in bed with a company (trying to push their helmets), I don't understand why they don't just make him sign a waiver releasing liability from all team doctors, trainers, players, and the NFL org and let him use his helmet. They can say "'Ok. We tried and now we're hands off. You chose this. From now on, any head related injuries you sustain are on you AB."

Unless they're in bed with a company (trying to push their helmets), I don't understand why they don't just make him sign a waiver releasing liability from all team doctors, trainers, players, and the NFL org and let him use his helmet. They can say "'Ok. We tried and now we're hands off. You chose this. From now on, any head related injuries you sustain are on you AB."

Because there are about 1,700 active roster NFL players - they can't just start granting exemptions in exchange for full releases. The equipment is regulated just like the ball, the field, and everything else that goes into the game. It would be irresponsible and a reverse of course to allow players to sign releases, plus 20 years down the road, their lawyer is just going to argue that the player's release is invalid because he was already suffering from brain damage or because he felt like he "had" to sign it in order to save his career. It's just a bad idea.

The players and the league have agreed to equipment standards and there has been intense focus on improving the helmet. The evolving helmet must meet certain impact standards set by a third party - the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) which applies "certification standards to protect players against severe traumatic skull and brain injuries."

There are actually many approved helmets (more than 30 different models a player can choose from) that meet the NOCSAE standard. But as the helmets improve, older models can't provide the same protection and eventually they have to be phased out. The annual testing is shared with the players in the spring to help them with their equipment decision.

A single player trying to fight against what is clearly a commitment to improving head and concussion safety has absolutely zero chance of succeeding. Pick one of the many approved helmets if you want to play.

That is there to protect idiots from themselves and keep companies ultimately accountable. Companies do not get to absolve themselves from ensuring a safe work environment because someone signs a paper. That doesn't reflect a true culture of safety. True buy-in from the senior leadership and upper management is delivering the message the way the NFL is doing right now. Looks like they learned a few things from the concussion lawsuit.

Last edited:
That is there for the protect idiots from themselves and keep companies ultimately accountable. Companies do not get to absolve themselves from ensuring a safe work environment because someone signs a paper. That doesn't reflect a true culture of safety. True buy-in from the senior leadership and upper management is delivering the message the way the NFL is doing right now. Looks like they learned a few things from the concussion lawsuit.

Fair enough.

The League doesn’t wanna take the risk of a potential lawsuit if anything happens.
A lawyer can get out of any waiver.

Does anyone here really believe that Brown is not going to be a disruption sometime this year. It could be he not getting enough balls or the Raiders start losing or whatever, but IMO the guy has for whatever reason become too much of a diva (talented as he is).

Just wait until the losing starts out here in the Bay Area.

Those sideline arguments with him and Carr will be brutal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom