Antonio Brown refuses to play with new certified helmets (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
After the "frostbite" issue turned out to be a non-issue, he now says he wants his "old helmet" back.

Oakland Raiders wide receiver Antonio Brown has reportedly filed a grievance against the NFL for banning a helmet he wore throughout his time with the Pittsburgh Steelers since it's no longer certified by the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE).

St.Fury

Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
You don’t blame him for saying he’d rather retire than wear the required equipment?

The old helmet was grandfathered for a period but it doesn’t pass the impact-safety standards. The players can’t sue the league for unsafe conditions, and have the league fund long-term player health funds, and then object when the league tries to improve equipment safety.
Following the concussion lawsuits, the league tried to save face with the bounty-gate farce, changed rules, and started mandating better equipment. Folks like us rightfully accused the league of using the saints as a scapegoat. There’s been a lot of heat on the league in recent years due to safety. This is a huge gift to the league. Now they can point the finger back at the player saying, “look, we are trying. They’re fighting us at every turn.”

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Following the concussion lawsuits, the league tried to save face with the bounty-gate farce, changed rules, and started mandating better equipment. Folks like us rightfully accused the league of using the saints as a scapegoat. There’s been a lot of heat on the league in recent years due to safety. This is a huge gift to the league. Now they can point the finger back at the player saying, “look, we are trying. They’re fighting us at every turn.”
It’s one diva player

KELLZ

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
He has always been filled with drama. He jacked up his feet on his own. Let him sign a CTE waiver and he can have his helmet. The NFL can easily let him play and subside any fault

MightyMite

Mightiest of all Mites
Reaction score
Just finished watching Ep. 1 of Hard Knocks. If you look carefully you can see that AB is wearing the old style helmet. Or, at least, a helmet that is different from everyone else's.

RKNSaint

Contrarian
Reaction score
Pretty stupid thing to say. For the money these guys make I would have play with a mop bucket on my head. Guessing he is probably thinking he may have said a stupid thing when he thinks about missing a paycheck.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've been seeing AB in interviews and Hard Knocks, etc. and he seems to be on something. He's nothing like he used to be off the field.

Misipsaintfan

Just some guy
Reaction score
I say he should walk away there are enough immature people playing in the nfl. I wonder what options the raiders have as far as letting him go and what nots. Im sure his contract would be an issue.

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
You don’t blame him for saying he’d rather retire than wear the required equipment?

The old helmet was grandfathered for a period but it doesn’t pass the impact-safety standards. The players can’t sue the league for unsafe conditions, and have the league fund long-term player health funds, and then object when the league tries to improve equipment safety.
the bigger problem is that his helmet is probably safer. the more the nfl tries to "improve" safety, it just seems to get worse.

Reaction score
I know. But then again, when facecages came in, there were players who hated them and tried not to wear them. A tale as old as time...
I know that true about the face mask. My mom and dad had me when he was 41. I’m 55 now so you can do the math. He was born in 1922. He was a running back in high school and I think he had one of those leather caps. He suffered several broken noses and even broke his jaw. To hear him talk about it it’s amazing it didn’t get banned.

Reaction score
the bigger problem is that his helmet is probably safer. the more the nfl tries to "improve" safety, it just seems to get worse.
I can tell you the safest helmet I’ve ever seen is the Xenith helmet. Schutt has a new helmet out that’s supposed to be better but I’ve never seen one.

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I can tell you the safest helmet I’ve ever seen is the Xenith helmet. Schutt has a new helmet out that’s supposed to be better but I’ve never seen one.
that is my issue. nfl only addresses whoever is sponsoring/pushing their brand at the time.

my other issue is that dating back to the early years of football (gridiron), there were far less injuries per player than in today's game. granted, the recorded concussions were minimal, (i give the benefit of doubt due to the progression of today's health analysis) the other injuries due to equipment were substantially less than today.

i am in the belief that the more 'protection' players are afforded, the harder they are hit. the 'hitter' may feel less of an impact, but this is also true to the recipient. there is not less. there is more force provided due to the mindful security of more, but all that impact does is magnify what it would have been before; for both of the athletes.

progress is not always progress. there are harder defensive equipment vs harder offensive equipment, who is the safer in this? no one.

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
that is my issue. nfl only addresses whoever is sponsoring/pushing their brand at the time.

my other issue is that dating back to the early years of football (gridiron), there were far less injuries per player than in today's game. granted, the recorded concussions were minimal, (i give the benefit of doubt due to the progression of today's health analysis) the other injuries due to equipment were substantially less than today.

i am in the belief that the more 'protection' players are afforded, the harder they are hit. the 'hitter' may feel less of an impact, but this is also true to the recipient. there is not less. there is more force provided due to the mindful security of more, but all that impact does is magnify what it would have been before; for both of the athletes.

progress is not always progress. there are harder defensive equipment vs harder offensive equipment, who is the safer in this? no one.
Because of that fact I'm in favor of them going back to the leather helmets. Players wouldn't lead with their head nearly as much if they wore them but I'm not entirely sure if it would be a net positive. Smarter people than me could answer that.

Reaction score

I think a big part of the injuries today come from the fact that players have become bigger, stronger, and faster.(yes that was a nod to the six million dollar man). Like I said about my dad, he had a roster list from his senior year and the biggest guy on his team was 6’ 1” and was 195 pounds. When my youngest son played he was a center and was 6’5” and weighed 295. When you have these big guys in the NFL they are pretty fast. I don’t know about you but if I was hit by one of those guys I would be in the hospital for a while.

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I think a big part of the injuries today come from the fact that players have become bigger, stronger, and faster.(yes that was a nod to the six million dollar man). Like I said about my dad, he had a roster list from his senior year and the biggest guy on his team was 6’ 1” and was 195 pounds. When my youngest son played he was a center and was 6’5” and weighed 295. When you have these big guys in the NFL they are pretty fast. I don’t know about you but if I was hit by one of those guys I would be in the hospital for a while.
you are totally right.

i didn't consider it. athletes today have much better access to strength training; equipment and coaches. plus the nutrition control.

(i could not figure out how to put, we can rebuild him, we have the technology... in there lol)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom