Antonio Brown refuses to play with new certified helmets (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

I’m going to be seriously upset if the NFL grants his wish. I want to see this play out completely.

I’m going to be seriously upset if the NFL grants his wish. I want to see this play out completely.

Pretty sure they’re not going to. The equipment has to meet the measured standard - the old helmet doesn’t. His “old
helmet” was actually grandfathered through 2018 and something like 27 players (including Brady and Rodgers) used it. They all got the notice from the league and Brown is the only one who is refusing to comply. I can’t imagine they will grant his request.

I am beginning to suspect that maybe he doesnt want to play football any more

I really don’t blame him for this. Some helmets are better than others. My youngest son got a invitation to the football university or FBU camp a few years ago. We watched a video on different helmets in use and the top rated helmet was a zenith. I was sold on it and that’s what he wore for the rest of his playing days. BTW he made it as the top rated center at that camp. He went on to the top gun camp. Where he dominated guys that are in the NFL now. But sadly he got burned out with football. He will be a coach very soon and I think that’s where he belongs.

I really don’t blame him for this. Some helmets are better than others. My youngest son got a invitation to the football university or FBU camp a few years ago. We watched a video on different helmets in use and the top rated helmet was a zenith. I was sold on it and that’s what he wore for the rest of his playing days. BTW he made it as the top rated center at that camp. He went on to the top gun camp. Where he dominated guys that are in the NFL now. But sadly he got burned out with football. He will be a coach very soon and I think that’s where he belongs.
Tony, I think the issue is that Brown is doing the equivalent of refusing to wear a Zenith in favour of an old rusty bucket.

You don’t blame him for saying he’d rather retire than wear the required equipment?

The old helmet was grandfathered for a period but it doesn’t pass the impact-safety standards. The players can’t sue the league for unsafe conditions, and have the league fund long-term player health funds, and then object when the league tries to improve equipment safety.

I can actually empathize with his concern. I can see how a world class athlete would strongly dislike anything that even potentially diminishes his performance. But my goodness. His behavior about it suggests that there was a good reason this helmet can no longer be used. ?

You don’t blame him for saying he’d rather retire than wear the required equipment?

The old helmet was grandfathered for a period but it doesn’t pass the impact-safety standards. The players can’t sue the league for unsafe conditions, and have the league fund long-term player health funds, and then object when the league tries to improve equipment safety.
If his helmet is not safe then no I don’t support him for that. I think safety should be the top things any player should have at the top of their list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom