Antonio Brown refuses to play with new certified helmets (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

Tony, I think the issue is that Brown is doing the equivalent of refusing to wear a Zenith in favour of an old rusty bucket.
I do know that at the time my son was playing the zenith was the best one available. I think safety should be at the top of any players concerns.

I do know that at the time my son was playing the zenith was the best one available. I think safety should be at the top of any players concerns.
I know. But then again, when facecages came in, there were players who hated them and tried not to wear them. A tale as old as time...

You don’t blame him for saying he’d rather retire than wear the required equipment?

The old helmet was grandfathered for a period but it doesn’t pass the impact-safety standards. The players can’t sue the league for unsafe conditions, and have the league fund long-term player health funds, and then object when the league tries to improve equipment safety.
Following the concussion lawsuits, the league tried to save face with the bounty-gate farce, changed rules, and started mandating better equipment. Folks like us rightfully accused the league of using the saints as a scapegoat. There’s been a lot of heat on the league in recent years due to safety. This is a huge gift to the league. Now they can point the finger back at the player saying, “look, we are trying. They’re fighting us at every turn.”

Following the concussion lawsuits, the league tried to save face with the bounty-gate farce, changed rules, and started mandating better equipment. Folks like us rightfully accused the league of using the saints as a scapegoat. There’s been a lot of heat on the league in recent years due to safety. This is a huge gift to the league. Now they can point the finger back at the player saying, “look, we are trying. They’re fighting us at every turn.”

It’s one diva player

He has always been filled with drama. He jacked up his feet on his own. Let him sign a CTE waiver and he can have his helmet. The NFL can easily let him play and subside any fault

Just finished watching Ep. 1 of Hard Knocks. If you look carefully you can see that AB is wearing the old style helmet. Or, at least, a helmet that is different from everyone else's.

Pretty stupid thing to say. For the money these guys make I would have play with a mop bucket on my head. Guessing he is probably thinking he may have said a stupid thing when he thinks about missing a paycheck.

I've been seeing AB in interviews and Hard Knocks, etc. and he seems to be on something. He's nothing like he used to be off the field.

I say he should walk away there are enough immature people playing in the nfl. I wonder what options the raiders have as far as letting him go and what nots. Im sure his contract would be an issue.

You don’t blame him for saying he’d rather retire than wear the required equipment?

The old helmet was grandfathered for a period but it doesn’t pass the impact-safety standards. The players can’t sue the league for unsafe conditions, and have the league fund long-term player health funds, and then object when the league tries to improve equipment safety.
the bigger problem is that his helmet is probably safer. the more the nfl tries to "improve" safety, it just seems to get worse.

I know. But then again, when facecages came in, there were players who hated them and tried not to wear them. A tale as old as time...
I know that true about the face mask. My mom and dad had me when he was 41. I’m 55 now so you can do the math. He was born in 1922. He was a running back in high school and I think he had one of those leather caps. He suffered several broken noses and even broke his jaw. To hear him talk about it it’s amazing it didn’t get banned.

the bigger problem is that his helmet is probably safer. the more the nfl tries to "improve" safety, it just seems to get worse.
I can tell you the safest helmet I’ve ever seen is the Xenith helmet. Schutt has a new helmet out that’s supposed to be better but I’ve never seen one.

I can tell you the safest helmet I’ve ever seen is the Xenith helmet. Schutt has a new helmet out that’s supposed to be better but I’ve never seen one.
that is my issue. nfl only addresses whoever is sponsoring/pushing their brand at the time.

my other issue is that dating back to the early years of football (gridiron), there were far less injuries per player than in today's game. granted, the recorded concussions were minimal, (i give the benefit of doubt due to the progression of today's health analysis) the other injuries due to equipment were substantially less than today.

i am in the belief that the more 'protection' players are afforded, the harder they are hit. the 'hitter' may feel less of an impact, but this is also true to the recipient. there is not less. there is more force provided due to the mindful security of more, but all that impact does is magnify what it would have been before; for both of the athletes.

progress is not always progress. there are harder defensive equipment vs harder offensive equipment, who is the safer in this? no one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom