Antwan Barnes, OLB, FA (1 Viewer)

canuckredux

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This is a guy that, for one reason or another, has never really cemented his place on a roster... and I don't get it. He's an OLB, originally drafted by the Ravens, went to the Chargers. Athletic freak, running a 4.43/40 at 250 lbs. His lone time as a starter was in 2011 with SD... and he got 11 sacks, despite only starting 5 games. I watch a lot of Charger games, so I got to see a lot of him that year and he really played well. I didn't see him drop into coverage much, but he could pin his ears back and get to the QB. But the following year they brought in Melvin Ingram and Jarrett Johnson and Barnes went right back to the bench.

Maybe it's not seeing him in practice. Maybe it's not knowing how well he picks up a defensive scheme. Maybe it's not knowing how he is in the locker room... but I see him on the field and I see him produce. I don't get why this guy has never been seen as a starter. I don't get why, despite a desperate need for pass-rushers, the Bolts didn't retain him, but he is out there (last news had him visiting the Jets) and I think he could be a great addition.

antwan+barnes+westbrook.PNG

tom-brady-antwan-barnes-2010-10-24-18-20-0.jpg

Probably more likely to sign Shawn Phillips from the chargers if we miss out on other FA OLB targets.

Barnes is still a good player, but Phillips has way more experience and leadership value which we could utilise having so many young talents on D.

Phillips was one of the worst 3-4 olbs last year, i'd much rather barnes

You say that, but my friend who is a chargers fan watched every game of last season and said that he could still offer a lot to a 3-4 OLB needy team. He even went as far to say that he would be a good signing for us seeing as were changing scheme.

Sure he was banged up last season and isnt as good as he was against the run, but hes still a valuable asset that could improve our D.

Barnes is a guy I've tracked since 2007.

His problem is that he's a situational pass rushing DE and not much of an OLB at all.
His sacks come mainly (if not all of them) on 3rd down as a down lineman.

Chargers defense, sack, 6-yd loss - NFL Videos

Chargers defense, sack, 6-yd loss - NFL Videos

Chargers defense, sack, 9-yd loss - NFL Videos

Chargers defense, sack, 11-yd loss - NFL Videos

Well, you get the point.

Nice vids... all I saw was a guy taking offensive tackles to school. And yes, he did have his hand in the dirt, as a 3rd-down DL, situational pass rusher... and I'd love to see some of that in the B&G.

Maybe "starter" is a bit of a leap, since run support isn't his forte, but you can never have too many players who can get to the QB.

You say that, but my friend who is a chargers fan watched every game of last season and said that he could still offer a lot to a 3-4 OLB needy team. He even went as far to say that he would be a good signing for us seeing as were changing scheme.
Sure he was banged up last season and isnt as good as he was against the run, but hes still a valuable asset that could improve our D.

Your friend clearly doesn't know that the saints are looking for right now. Phillips does not fit the profile.

He is 31 years old, same as Will Smith, so a long term contract is not an option for him with us. If, and it's a big if, there is an interest from the saints, it will be after the draft, to add depth.

And frankly, there are more interesting options if we are looking for a veteran in Umenyora, Abraham, Freeney, Harrison, etc., and as you can see, none of them are commanding a lot of interest, because of their age.

Your friend clearly doesn't know that the saints are looking for right now. Phillips does not fit the profile.

He is 31 years old, same as Will Smith, so a long term contract is not an option for him with us. If, and it's a big if, there is an interest from the saints, it will be after the draft, to add depth.

And frankly, there are more interesting options if we are looking for a veteran in Umenyora, Abraham, Freeney, Harrison, etc., and as you can see, none of them are commanding a lot of interest, because of their age.

Yeah id much rather sign Butler, but nobody said anything about a long term deal. He would be a decent low-cost option for a 1-year stop gap deal before we can free up some cap space or draft a future successor.

Plus some of the players you mentioned, like Harrison, would play DE in a 3-4, Phillips is an OLB.

Fact is, right now we need to add depth to our OLB spot, because at the moment its not nearly deep enough to give us a shot to go deep into the playoffs. Our attempts to sign Kruger illustrated that and hopefully we can sign someone like Butler, or to a lessar extent Phillips, who can fill that need.

Yeah id much rather sign Butler, but nobody said anything about a long term deal. He would be a decent low-cost option for a 1-year stop gap deal before we can free up some cap space or draft a future successor.

Plus some of the players you mentioned, like Harrison, would play DE in a 3-4, Phillips is an OLB.

Fact is, right now we need to add depth to our OLB spot, because at the moment its not nearly deep enough to give us a shot to go deep into the playoffs. Our attempts to sign Kruger illustrated that and hopefully we can sign someone like Butler, or to a lessar extent Phillips, who can fill that need.

Harrison will play linebacker, like he did in Pittsburgh.

Anyways, I am not against adding depth, but if it is a veteran over 30 years old, I think it will happen until the draft.

The only linebacker that I can see fit the profile (around 26 years old, up and coming, possibly a backup previously) and is available now is Victor Butler, but as of now the saints have not shown interest in him (only us and the media).

We may get that position with our first rounder though.

He was an athletic freak basically who never quite put it together

Nice vids... all I saw was a guy taking offensive tackles to school. And yes, he did have his hand in the dirt, as a 3rd-down DL, situational pass rusher... and I'd love to see some of that in the B&G.

Maybe "starter" is a bit of a leap, since run support isn't his forte, but you can never have too many players who can get to the QB.

He's a niche player but he's one of the best situational guys at what he does in the league on obvious passing downs.

Might be worth a peek.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom