Any 360's ever recover from the RRD? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
Ok, after 1 and 3/4 years, today my screen froze and i got the blinking 3 red lights of death. after powering down and calling MyXbox supprt, for about an hour, my console would power back up, sometimes it freeze on the opening xbox cenamatic, sometimes it would get to the blades.

6 times i put a game in the drive, the game would the opening movies and menus, but once the game actually started it would freeze up.

So i get all the info i needed to have them send the shippment box to me...and then thats were it got strange.

I left the console turned off for about 4 hours while i watched football, then i tried it again just to see what happend...its forked normal ever since, i've even left it on for 6 straight hours now, and the RRD hasn't returned.

My impression is once you get the RRD once, it shoudl be repaired, but in all the stories the i've heard, once you get the RRD, the 360 doesn't work anymore. Well, i had it twice today and now it works fine. Any thoughts?

I'd leave that thing on until it broke completely. Hey, atleast you'll be able to get a 360 with an HDMI port. I wish someone would play the 360 that I gave to my bro so it would break. I also got the one with no HDMI port.

Here was my situation. Few months ago I got RROD as most of ya have heard me say by now. But I called the 1-800-4my-xbox line and they had the walk through. Said power down, remove hard drive, power it up with no hard drive and it may work again. Than ya power down reconnect it and the 3 red lights will be gone. So I followed that step (they have like 3 other options if this dosen;t work) But anyays I did that and it worked again for me. I decided tho that if mine was one of the faulty ones whats to stop it from happening again. So I called the number had the box sent out (granted I did not tell them it was working again) But they sent out the box it took about 5 days and I was playing it the whole time up until the box came.

Basicly some are prolongable, but if it happened no matter what way ya slice it you have a faulty system because it should not have happened at all (which isn't a shock seems like 50 percent of them are). If I were you, and I was (well in your situation I mean) I would still send it in now when you will get a brand new one. Rather than have it crap out again but next time when it not under warrenty (altho you still have 1 1/4 years left of the microsoft extended 3 year warrenty for the RROD)

Just my pennies tho.

Same thing happened with mine, got the rrod called the chick at xbox went through the steps... as soon as i got off the phone, started working fine again for a couple of days. The shipping box they sent me came in & within a day it started locking up again. Got my new console about a week or so later. I took a couple pictures w/ the digital camera of it when it had the rrod just in case...

Here was my situation. Few months ago I got RROD as most of ya have heard me say by now. But I called the 1-800-4my-xbox line and they had the walk through. Said power down, remove hard drive, power it up with no hard drive and it may work again. Than ya power down reconnect it and the 3 red lights will be gone. So I followed that step (they have like 3 other options if this dosen;t work) But anyays I did that and it worked again for me. I decided tho that if mine was one of the faulty ones whats to stop it from happening again. So I called the number had the box sent out (granted I did not tell them it was working again) But they sent out the box it took about 5 days and I was playing it the whole time up until the box came.

Basicly some are prolongable, but if it happened no matter what way ya slice it you have a faulty system because it should not have happened at all (which isn't a shock seems like 50 percent of them are). If I were you, and I was (well in your situation I mean) I would still send it in now when you will get a brand new one. Rather than have it crap out again but next time when it not under warrenty (altho you still have 1 1/4 years left of the microsoft extended 3 year warrenty for the RROD)

Just my pennies tho.

well, i think i will leave it on then for a couple of days and see what happens. I agree, that i should probably send it in, but i do wonder what will happen if they get it, and it works just fine when they test it.

Also, the non-american on the phone didn't say they would automacitcally send a new one, but repair my exsiting one or send one from stock. Is there any trick to just getting the new one?

They're replacing old ones with models from the next iteration. If you got a 1st gen, you'll get a 2nd gen without the HDMI until they run out of those.

The same thing happened to my 360. It would turn on and play a game or movie for a minute or two and then freeze and finally it would just give me the RROD. My friend said that it happened to him also, then he bought a cooling fan for it and he says it's worked fine ever since. I got a PS3 instead but I plan on buying another 360 within the next few months.

I had the same thing happen. I got the red rings once about a year ago. I put a game in, it started to boot, and the rings came up. I let out a giant curse, shut off the 360, and went do something else. Came back to try it a couple hours later and it worked fine. No problems before or since.

well, i think i will leave it on then for a couple of days and see what happens. I agree, that i should probably send it in, but i do wonder what will happen if they get it, and it works just fine when they test it.

Also, the non-american on the phone didn't say they would automacitcally send a new one, but repair my exsiting one or send one from stock. Is there any trick to just getting the new one?

They said the exact same thing to me on the phone, even said if it was another problem they would have to call and confirm services, because charges may apply. Mine was working fine the day I shipped it in the box and 4 weeks later I had a brand new x-box and a x-box live card. I'm not sure what they do to check if it had a history of RROD, or maybe if they open it and it has an older part that they believe causes it, or a burnt out part, or circut board. But mine was working when I sent it off and they replaced mine for me. Although its not like I tricked them, I did get the RROD and did have a faulty system, I just had them replace it before it became a more permanent problem. If I were you I would just have em send out the box. If it turns out to be fine and you would rather no send it in, no harm done. In the mean time keep playing you might get it again, just keep it as is next time and the box will already be in the mail.

Here's my thread when mine died, unfortunatly I think you jinxed yourself in it. But It basicly the run down over again of what happened to mine. Few people were helping me out. But you can see (well read) I got it working again and I assure you, I do have my new one and it was not the one that was sent in.

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45849

Last edited:
Well, it did work for 2 days and then the red ring of death returned. Oh well, at least i don't have to wonder about it anymore. I've been toying with the idea of picking up a 360 arcade as a second networked unit for the other room to stream ripped BluRay HD WMV files on via the media center...(take that sony).

Well, it did work for 2 days and then the red ring of death returned. Oh well, at least i don't have to wonder about it anymore. I've been toying with the idea of picking up a 360 arcade as a second networked unit for the other room to stream ripped BluRay HD WMV files on via the media center...(take that sony).

Yeah I was reading that Blu-ray security was already cracked.....it really doesn't matter to me one way or another.....media will always be cracked no matter how much more secure they (software companies) think they make things.

I have 2 360's and a PS3, I picked up an Elite with the HDMI and big HD when my 1st 360 was at M$ for repair. I enjoy having two units with one being hooked to my Dell Widescreen Monitor at my computer....that way if the ole' lady is watching TV I can game in peace.:9:

Yeah I was reading that Blu-ray security was already cracked.....it really doesn't matter to me one way or another.....media will always be cracked no matter how much more secure they (software companies) think they make things.

I have 2 360's and a PS3, I picked up an Elite with the HDMI and big HD when my 1st 360 was at M$ for repair. I enjoy having two units with one being hooked to my Dell Widescreen Monitor at my computer....that way if the ole' lady is watching TV I can game in peace.:9:

yeh, i have fair amount of kids games for the 360 and at times get tired of sharing when i want to jam on rock band.

Mine arrived at the repair center Friday. I don't play it for extended periods of time or do anything that should make it not function right. Anyways, I hope they send me a new one without any problems. I really hope I get one with the HDMI output also.

Mine started locking up one night after I hadn't played it for a about week and a half before. I tried restarting it but after a few tries it wouldn't even boot up. I got the box sent out and the day before I sent it out I tried it and still got the RRoD. Called up my little brother to tell him that bad news that his will probably see the same fate as our mom got us them for Christmas in 05.

yeh, i'm not sure if i will get a new one either. After reading everyone elses troubles over the year, i just treated this with a going with the flow attitude. Apparently if you act more upset on the phone you can get like free games or a new system in stead of a refurb. Oh well, live and learn.

Mine just gave me the RROD. From reading this it seems like it may go away or may not. If you do not have a warenty on it can you still send it for repair or what not? I have never had a problem until now. Any other suggestions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom