Any Cap Gurus Know Where We Stand Now? (1 Viewer)

rodgepodge9

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I imagine I will get a lot of 'Loomis will find a way' responses but ... looking at Spotrac we are calculated to have roughly 16mil in cap space .. I don't see anywhere that shows it includes Bridgewater, Brown and Edwards .. which taking their contracts year by year pretty much eat up the whole 16 mil...

my question is .. can we even sign a guy like Cook anymore at this point??

the last article i read before DE Mario signing had it at 16 million after TB deal ??‍♂️

i was wrong, before TB as well
The Saints have just under $16 million in cap space after shuffling things around with quarterback Drew Brees. That as before re-signing backup QB Teddy Bridgewater. New Orleans should be able to sign Ansah, but it would leave them cap-strapped going forward.

Hmm.. now back to feeling more nervous.

I guess they really will find some way to make it work. I'm sure my contract calculations are primitive and incorrect (evenly dividing the contracts we recently gave out by the years). I suppose they have different ways to shuffle things around.

Cook would be HUGE for us imo. Really really want him.

Also concerning me: Don't we need to sign another safety now too?

There's enough cap room to sign anybody and everybody we want with a few contract extensions and re-structures. It just comes down to what we're willing to pay them vs what they're willing to sign for... and of course how much of next year's cap room we're willing to spend.

Banjo re-signed, Marcus Williams returns

I mentioned before that I wonder if we see Banjo as a guy that can play more than special teams snaps. If not, we do need another safety. I was thinking with this draft being heavy on DL & WR that maybe a good safety may slip and perhaps that is our thought process. It seems like the Coleman signing was about veteran depth so I don't know if they would want Bell, Williams and a rookie going into the season. Most of the safeties that have been signed thus far were paid a king's ransom so I don't know if we are just waiting for the market to slow down or if we have no intentions of signing one.

I mentioned before that I wonder if we see Banjo as a guy that can play more than special teams snaps. If not, we do need another safety. I was thinking with this draft being heavy on DL & WR that maybe a good safety may slip and perhaps that is our thought process. It seems like the Coleman signing was about veteran depth so I don't know if they would want Bell, Williams and a rookie going into the season. Most of the safeties that have been signed thus far were paid a king's ransom so I don't know if we are just waiting for the market to slow down or if we have no intentions of signing one.

Bell has played 3 full seasons. This will be M. Williams' 3rd season. I don't think they really need a veteran presence at safety anymore. I'm pretty sure however that Coleman was brought in to be a starter ($6 million?). The veteran presence was just a bonus attribute.

We do need a back up and a 3rd man for when we use 3 safety sets. That can be a mid-level talent or even a early-ish round draft pick. Banjo can play in a pinch, but he's probably best kept as deep depth.

I look for us to pick up a guy along the line of what we had with Raphael Bush or even Kurt Coleman (albeit on a much cheaper contract).

I posted this on another thread. Looks like it breaks down to around the 2-3 mil range unless I'm missing a contract or way off on a guesstimate.

I'm seeing 15.8 mil at OTC. That is without a few contracts. I can only take a wild guess at most of their 2019 hits.

Bridgewater - 7.25 mil
Robertson - 1 mil?
Brown - 3 mil?
Lutz - 2 mil?

That's around 13.25 mil to sign those in 2019. You also have to add about 0.5 mil to the cap for each contract added since they knock off lower contract. So it becomes 11.25 mil.

So that leaves us with about 4.5 mil.

I think the rest of the moves are in their cap calculation. https://overthecap.com/calculator/new-orleans-saints/

(Edit) They added Craig Robertson to it. It still looks like around 4mil if I'm close on the Brown and Lutz 2019 hits.
(Edit2) We have to add Mario Edwards now also. So it's probably more around 2-3 mil now.

Last edited:
Bell has played 3 full seasons. This will be M. Williams' 3rd season. I don't think they really need a veteran presence at safety anymore. I'm pretty sure however that Coleman was brought in to be a starter ($6 million?). The veteran presence was just a bonus attribute.

We do need a back up and a 3rd man for when we use 3 safety sets. That can be a mid-level talent or even a early-ish round draft pick. Banjo can play in a pinch, but he's probably best kept as deep depth.

I look for us to pick up a guy along the line of what we had with Raphael Bush or even Kurt Coleman (albeit on a much cheaper contract).
I could see that. I just haven't seen the progression from Marcus that would make me feel comfortable to lean solely on him and Bell. I would hate to lose one for a season and be relying on Banjo or a lesser player for a long stretch. I feel like they have to have a plan for that spot. I just haven't read where they've pursued any Coleman replacement yet.

I could see that. I just haven't seen the progression from Marcus that would make me feel comfortable to lean solely on him and Bell. I would hate to lose one for a season and be relying on Banjo or a lesser player for a long stretch. I feel like they have to have a plan for that spot. I just haven't read where they've pursued any Coleman replacement yet.

In M. Williams defense. He flashed a TON of potential as a rookie. And then had the old "science-has-proven-it's-real" sophomore slump. And he still flashed last year. Year 3 for WRs, TEs, DTs, DEs, and DBs... that's when it's all supposed to start coming together and you know what you've got in a player. Yeah, he could fall off even more, but I think it's a lot more likely that you're going to see more of what you saw his rookie year, with a lot less of those inexperience issues.

I do agree that we currently have no depth at the position. We're one injury away from being in a pickle. That's why I said mid-level talent vet (like LB Craig Robertson) and/or a high-ish round rookie, which for us means, with our 2nd round pick. There is still a lot of good safeties on the market.

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2
In M. Williams defense. He flashed a TON of potential as a rookie. And then had the old "science-has-proven-it's-real" sophomore slump. And he still flashed last year. Year 3 for WRs, TEs, DTs, DEs, and DBs... that's when it's all supposed to start coming together and you know what you've got in a player. Yeah, he could fall off even more, but I think it's a lot more likely that you're going to see more of what you saw his rookie year, with a lot less of those inexperience issues.

I do agree that we currently have no depth at the position. We're one injury away from being in a pickle. That's why I said mid-level talent vet (like LB Craig Robertson) and/or a high-ish round rookie, which for us means, with our 2nd round pick. There is still a lot of good safeties on the market.
I'm thinking they are letting the dust settle. There were some crazy contracts this year. I wouldn't mind a 2nd round safety to groom, but I would rather a OL pick. Bushrod is probably gone and old anyways. Would love to have another young guy waiting in the wings in case Armstead's body doesn't hold up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom