Any car windshield experts here? (1 Viewer)

CT Saints Fan

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Texas - via Metairie, Houston, Virginia, & Con
What's the point at which a star/chip/crack/line can still be repaired vs. having the glass replaced?

What's the outcome of a repair - no more spreading of the crack or will it be completely unnoticeable?

What's the typical cost of repair? Of replacement?

Damn Houston roads. :rant: The first time I lived here, I repaired a windshield about every six months. I've driven for 26 years and never had a windshield crack in any other city or state. Now we are here 9 months, and my wife drove to downtown Houston 3 days last week for a conference, and she got a crack in the windshield of her van. It is down low, and the crack ran down and then up a couple of inches and then turned right. I'd say from end to end, the crack is about 6"-8".

In addition, we just picked up a great used car this week for her to commute to work in, and it is 99.9% perfect - except of course for the crack in the windshield. The dealership is going to replace that windshield, so when they come out, I'm want to have them fix the crack on the van too. The crack on the car is like an upside down U, right in the center of the glass, and since it goes down on both ends, I don't think it can spread anymore.

As a victim of Houston roads myself, and on more than a couple of occasions, I have usually had it repaired. A repair is not completely unnoticeable, but the crack won't spread after it's fixed. When I got tired of looking at the spot or when I caught another rock to the windshield, then I would have it replaced.

A repair shop will also bill your insurance company directly and not charge you anything to fix it. If you want to pay anyway & not get your insurance company involved, it's around $25 to fix it depending on where you go. I think I paid around $160-175 to have it replaced a couple of years ago.

2 weeks after I replaced it, you guessed it, another crack in the windshield.

What's the point at which a star/chip/crack/line can still be repaired vs. having the glass replaced?

What's the outcome of a repair - no more spreading of the crack or will it be completely unnoticeable?

What's the typical cost of repair? Of replacement?

It's got to be fairly small in order for the star/chip to be unnoticeable. It won't repair a crack/line. I know a glass shop that will do that type of repair for free (maybe there are others as well). It won't spread, and depending on the size it very well could be unnoticeable. Just depends on the size.

The cost of replacement could run you around $200-250. Depends on your insurance and the size of your deductible.

CT, the general rule of thumb is if the crack is 6" or less it can be repaired. I can fix cracks up to about 18" were they will still hold but most guys just drill a hole at the end and hope it doesn't run.

Give me the year, make and model of the van and I will give you a quote which will at least get you an idea of what you should pay for a replacement.

We charge $35 for the first repair and $10 for each addtional. For cracks over 6" we charge $50. Most places do not warranty their crack repair and dealerships usually sub out the glass work to the cheapest place around which typically are fly by night guys so I would suggest calling an established local glass shop for the best service.

Also, if you have insurance let me know the company and your comprehensive deductible amount and I may be able to give you some extra options.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom