Any chance they'll get rid of the franchise tag? (1 Viewer)

yotd576

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I know the Owners and the Union are supposed to be going to redo their deal next season. Has there been any mention of getting rid of that tag? Players hate it and all it really seems to do is cause animosity between player and team for a year and they'll agree to play that year in return of not being tag the following year and leave anyway most of the time.

I know it's suppose to protect teams in losing their big name players, but heck re-sign them before free agency starts instead of having a potential long dragged out contract negotiation that could last forever. Add to the fact that once tagged, no team will even bother to trade two #1 picks for said player. At least lessen it to one #1 pick with a team's right to match the offer.

If they got rid of it, free agency would be so much interesting. Before it even has begun the franchise tag has taken a lot of fun out of what looked like a very exciting free agency period. :(

Its the owners and GM's one defense against FA. Theres noway they get rid of it.

Plus it keeps teams from being able to buy entire lineups over the FA market. It helps keep the playing field level and keep the draft the most relevent way to pick up talent.

I know the Owners and the Union are supposed to be going to redo their deal next season. Has there been any mention of getting rid of that tag? Players hate it and all it really seems to do is cause animosity between player and team for a year and they'll agree to play that year in return of not being tag the following year and leave anyway most of the time.

I know it's suppose to protect teams in losing their big name players, but heck re-sign them before free agency starts instead of having a potential long dragged out contract negotiation that could last forever. Add to the fact that once tagged, no team will even bother to trade two #1 picks for said player. At least lessen it to one #1 pick with a team's right to match the offer.

If they got rid of it, free agency would be so much interesting. Before it even has begun the franchise tag has taken a lot of fun out of what looked like a very exciting free agency period. :(

Teams have to have some way of retaining their best players, who are the faces of their franchises. It kinda sucks sometimes, but I think the franchise tag does more good than bad.

It can work for the Saints sometimes too, you know. It's not as if every other team in the league can do it but the Saints can't. It works throughout the league. Get rid of it, and one day we would be saying something like, "GEEZ! Why did they get rid of the franchise tag? If they'd kept it, we could keep (fill in the name of a player at the height of his game here)."

Nope, keep it, no matter how we feel about players we'd like to have getting tagged. Wanting it to end is being short-sighted.

I don't think they'll get rid of it, but the League needs to tweak the rules a bit to stop teams from slapping players with the franchise tag that they have no intention of signing to a long-term deal. Chicago franchised Lance Briggs last season with no interest in negotiating a multi-year deal with him. If more teams abuse the franchise designation this way, the players union may fight to terminate it.

I like the franchise tag, but I think it ought to be top dollar + 10%. That would let teams retain those guys who are "faces", but would put a lot more top tier free agents out there.

I love the tag... it's free agency I wish they would do away with.

I miss the old days when guys would spend their entire career with one team, where you could have a Joe Montana and Steve Young backing him up, where player salaries weren't 100 million for an average guy at a given position.

Want to know why the Saints get mentioned as a team that could move to LA? Free agency and players salaries. The Saints need the unshared revenues to pay the signing bonuses of all these top notch players so many teams covet.

I'd prefer no free agency (aside from the players you cut/chose not to resign), and liberalized trade rules (with the trade deadline moved to the week of Thanksgiving), so bigger deals could be made in trades to gear up for a playoff run.

The quality of football would be a lot better because rookies wouldn't be pressed so hard to start, and you could build depth on your team. Fan loyality would be better to, because one wouldn't have to worry that their favorite player will leave for more money after three or four years.

I love the tag... it's free agency I wish they would do away with.

I miss the old days when guys would spend their entire career with one team, where you could have a Joe Montana and Steve Young backing him up, where player salaries weren't 100 million for an average guy at a given position.

Want to know why the Saints get mentioned as a team that could move to LA? Free agency and players salaries. The Saints need the unshared revenues to pay the signing bonuses of all these top notch players so many teams covet.

I'd prefer no free agency (aside from the players you cut/chose not to resign), and liberalized trade rules (with the trade deadline moved to the week of Thanksgiving), so bigger deals could be made in trades to gear up for a playoff run.

The quality of football would be a lot better because rookies wouldn't be pressed so hard to start, and you could build depth on your team. Fan loyality would be better to, because one wouldn't have to worry that their favorite player will leave for more money after three or four years.

AMEN!!! its to much roster change over year after year, contracts mean nothing, if you dont like your contract you dont play and force the teams hands (I hate that) to much whining by players about how they cant feed there family's making 2.5mill a year.

I dont' mind FA. I like that fact that there is a salary cap that keeps teams from buying titles (see NY Yankess and baseball in general.) The player turnover is baseball is so horrible I cannot follow the sport any more because it's just too darn confusing.

This franchise tag does need tweaked though. Teams are franchising almost all of their good free agents and it really waters down the value of free agency. If I were someone on the Raiders, Falcons, etc. I'd be counting the days till my contract expired so I could go get on a team that wasn't a train wreck.

I think it will not be included in the next CBA, and as far as these guys being the Face of the franchise, thats complete BS. Asante Samuel is the face of the pats, pffft..... you and I both know darn well that Peyton manning, or Tom Brady, or LT etc, guys like that never get franchised, its usaully just one of the younger guys that played on a dirt rookie contract that get tagged, and players franchised RARELY even stay with the team doing the franchising. I think the whole point behind it was to protect teams from FA a little and give the guy the "franchised value" while they worked out a deal (like we did with Grant, or Indy did with Clark this year) But now days teams are using it as a one year contract with zero guarentees so they basicly don't have to pony up anything substantial when the teams has no intention of keeping that player at all long term.

Players can not be happy with that and I don't think it will be included in the next CBA and no one is happy with a strike, and no one makes any money on either side if that happens.

You talk like that's a bad thing... why WOULDN'T a team want to keep its good players?

I'm not saying a team wouldn't want to keep them. I'm saying it waters down the value of free agency, because a player like Ken Hamlin can't have a breakout year then go get a 5 year deal and make some real money. Rather, he gets a one year franchise deal and runs the risk of an injury or something else the next year.

Plus, it keeps the good players off the SAINTS. :ezbill:

I'm not saying a team wouldn't want to keep them. I'm saying it waters down the value of free agency, because a player like Ken Hamlin can't have a breakout year then go get a 5 year deal and make some real money. Rather, he gets a one year franchise deal and runs the risk of an injury or something else the next year.

Plus, it keeps the good players off the SAINTS. :ezbill:

LOL! I knew that was the real reason ;)

But your first point is why I don't like free agency... a guy like Ken Hamlin will drive up the price of a position by getting in a bidding war with other franchises, so you start having A-Rod like contracts for skill players -killing small market teams like the Saints, because they can't get the corporate sponsor dollars to pay all these outrageous signing bonuses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom