Any comments on the latest deliberate stupidity at City Hall? (1 Viewer)

The people in charge of deciding where the money goes and how it is spent in New Orleans are mostly of African American origin. So how exactly are the "rich whites" controlling the sharing of resources?

I think the bigger problem is, the African American leaders have more power when their constituents remain ignorant, poor, and scared. If the black leadership were truly concerned about changing the plight of the poor blacks in New Orleans, there would certainly be fewer poor blacks in New Orleans.

What I want to know is, why WOULDN'T people want their leaders being watched for corruption? And why would anyone support someone who is afraid of a little scrutiny?

Oliver THomas had the chance to be a real hero for New Orleans yesterday. He had a chance to go down in history as someone who really changed the course of the city's future and led it into a new direction. All he had to do was tell the crowd that he supported the legislation "as is" and it was not racist. And then do the right thing and vote in favor of it, unamended and unchanged.

Instead, he showed what a coward he is, and that his need for voter approval is stronger than his love for the city. And that he is too scared of the word "racism" and of race-baiters to make a good decision for OUR city. I hope he knows how many votes he lost yesterday, because when he decides to run for mayor his choice will not be forgotten.

I too am not clear about the meaning of "resources" or "fix the black people," or the basis of the comments that some think that all blacks are corrupt or criminals or dumb.

But I will guess that "resources" refers to economic power--business ownership, wealth, "control" over jobs. And the interesting word used is "share." I suspect the underlying assumption is that wealth is static and that we live in a zero-sum world where one group gains only at the expense of some other group.

Clarify your opinions, and people will respond.

Here is a clarification of my opinion:

Racism = ignorance = bad

No matter what color skin the racist has.

>>Oliver THomas had the chance to be a real hero for New Orleans yesterday. He had a chance to go down in history as someone who really changed the course of the city's future and led it into a new direction. All he had to do was tell the crowd that he supported the legislation "as is" and it was not racist. And then do the right thing and vote in favor of it, unamended and unchanged.

I'm pretty sure that Council President Thomas is eyeing the mayor's office when his next term expires. He's got plenty of cross-over support, but as Mayor Nagin proved recently, there is a way to get re-elected without the white support (except for hooking up with a few who hold an anti-'x'family support to cut the difference). ;)

It's simple politics. I'm sure he knows the difference between right and wrong, and most of his district constituents always kind of liked his reform ideals (he had to kowtow to both whites and blacks because of the makeup of his district).

I'm pretty sure that it's the Dollar Bill/Betty Jefferson machine behind most of this. They use race because they know that's the only way to get those activist kooks behind them even though it's not really the reality anymore. It's about accountability. I highly doubt Mama D is schooled on accountability. And why they let those types crash the council meetings and screw things up the way they do is beyond me. They should be charged with racism or something. :shrug:

TPS

I'm pretty sure that it's the Dollar Bill/Betty Jefferson machine behind most of this. They use race because they know that's the only way to get those activist kooks behind them even though it's not really the reality anymore. It's about accountability. I highly doubt Mama D is schooled on accountability. And why they let those types crash the council meetings and screw things up the way they do is beyond me. They should be charged with racism or something. :shrug:

TPS

That is what makes me the angriest- and yet, the people who keep supporting the Jefferson Machine don't realize that THEY are the ones being stolen from and lied to.

I wanted to believe that Thomas was not a part of the Jefferson machine. Guess i was wrong. I will NOT be voting for him again, in any election.

Mama D and Oliver Thomas are one and the same. Remember that when old Oliver Thomas runs for mayor.

Thomas on WWL right now with Garland Rabinette. What little I heard was Garland getting on him.
Garland is big for the perception we give to the rest of America.

That is what makes me the angriest- and yet, the people who keep supporting the Jefferson Machine don't realize that THEY are the ones being stolen from and lied to.

I wanted to believe that Thomas was not a part of the Jefferson machine. Guess i was wrong. I will NOT be voting for him again, in any election.

The Jefferson thing confuses me. I'm not in Louisiana and haven't been for 15 years so forgive my ignorance but is there simply nobody to run against him? How is this guy still in office? Is there actual support for him or is he winning by default? I know race plays into it but it seems this guy is crooked beyond what that will usually buy you.

Why does it always appear in New Orleans that if you fix the "black" people then New Orleans will be okay?

All you ever hear is: All of the black politicians are corrupt. All of the black people are criminals. All of the black people are uneducated or dumb.

I haven't heard hardly anyone say anything "good or positive" about blacks in New Orleans. Do you honestly believe that if you "fix" the black people New Orleans will be a better city.

Who controls the resources in New Orleans? It's definitely not the black people. If they did then most blacks in New Orleans wouldn't be poor.

Politicians work for the people that contribute financially to their campaigns. Follow the money and you'll find out who the politicians are working for, black and white. An IG might make people feel better, but it won't change that.

Sorry, these comments aren't going to fly without explanation. In fact, I specifically stated that whites are to blame for this too. You don't need to "fix black people", but the poor black people in New Orleans need to stop being fooled by people who only used them to steal their money and they need to stop this well the white people were corrupt for a long time so now it is our turn attitude.

Black people have been in control in New Orleans since about 1980, I'd say they have gotten their pay back. New Orleans politics is more complicated than "follow the money" because a lot of the money comes from rich black people and a lot of the votes come from pandering to a poor under class by race baiting and/or pandering to the "churches" who will turn out voters.

Maybe now is the time we should come together and fight the bad politicians, black or white, and not race bait.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom