Any comments on the latest deliberate stupidity at City Hall? (1 Viewer)

I can't see how anyone who lets murders go out on bail for nothing is being supported by their "own" kind. Black people killing other black people is one of our biggest problems right now, and that is saying something.

We know HANO has misappropriated funds, the police dept, city hall, and especially the school board as wel. We need to cut the fat out if this city is to survive. The office of inspector general has worked in Miami, if fact the office will pay for itself and then some.

But this is New Orleans and everyone has their hand out, everyone wants something. This lady who made Madura cry is mad that Dollar Bill Jefferson is trouble, so she lashed out. People are acting so strange these days in this town, we need to keep our heads up and keep moving forward irregardless of what certain people think.

It is time to put the cows out to pasture. The new New Orleans can't be about patronage and political machines.

Last edited:
Here's my comment: it's disgusting. I'd love to know which council person got these folks in here to make these blatantly flaming comments (though I'm willing to bet I could name who they are/were).

We don't want our politics of the past & political machines to come to a screeching halt, so we'll haul out the race card.

Just posted this on another thread

Shelley Midura finally got a vote on the inspector general's office, only to be blasted by Mama D and her merry band of race-baiters, yelling that the measure was a racist tool that will be used to attack black politicians. (My favorite part was when they asked, "Why didnt you white folk want this when you had control of the city?" You know, 40 years ago.)

Then she got ambushed by Oliver Thomas's boy James Carter with an amendment to give the Council control over what office can and cant do, to ensure that, you know, there isnt any "discrimination" in what the IG does -- all of which led to Midura cracking up in tears over being called a racist (she is a bleeding heart liberal of the highest order - I think she'd rather be called a murderer than a racist).

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpa...690.xml&coll=1

This city is just so screwed. Every time I think I've seen it at its worst, something even more ridiculous happens. I can't believe I live here.

Just posted this on another thread

Shelley Midura finally got a vote on the inspector general's office, only to be blasted by Mama D and her merry band of race-baiters, yelling that the measure was a racist tool that will be used to attack black politicians. (My favorite part was when they asked, "Why didnt you white folk want this when you had control of the city?" You know, 40 years ago.)

Then she got ambushed by Oliver Thomas's boy James Carter with an amendment to give the Council control over what office can and cant do, to ensure that, you know, there isnt any "discrimination" in what the IG does -- all of which led to Midura cracking up in tears over being called a racist (she is a bleeding heart liberal of the highest order - I think she'd rather be called a murderer than a racist).

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpa...690.xml&coll=1

This city is just so screwed. Every time I think I've seen it at its worst, something even more ridiculous happens. I can't believe I live here.

Sometimes I ask myself why I live here too? And yes, Madura is a bleeding heart in the worst way.

You know the more I watch the more I realize that the problems in the city seem to revolve around black people losing power.
Not to mention the black on black crime throughout Orleans and Jefferson Parishes.
Not a troll post but from my point of view, reading articles and listening to WWL, that is the way it seems. No one will say it but Harry Lee and he had to retract his statement. Right now the problem is black people.
I feel sorry for everyone that lives there right now because 85-90% of that city is trying and the 10-15% are bringing the others down.

I heard Oliver Thomas on WWL this morning. The pandering was sickening. I can't recall all of the specifics, but it was disgusting to me. He was doing the worst kind of political pandering and race baiting. I listened to him several times after Katrina claiming it was a new day in New Orleans and race didn't matter, yada, yada, yada, but it's clear that he like the old days just fine.

I can't remember all the specifics of what he said, but I do recall that he just couldn't see why people would not want City Council oversight of the Inspector General. How else will we stop people from being discriminated against?

How about because New Orleans needs an independent Inspector General that remains independent and can't be controlled by the political machine and investigating corruption and ethics violations has nothing to do with race or discrimination? Thomas acted like the Inspector General would not have to comply with the 4th Amendment right against unreasonable search and seizure unless the City Council had oversight. That is just dumb and maybe I'm cynical, but I have to think that the older member of the City Council want oversight because they are afraid they will not be able to stop an Inspector General from finding things they have done in the past.

Katrina forced me to move out of New Orleans. I have always planned to move back as soon as I can, but when stuff like this happens, it makes it harder and harder to justify moving back into Orleans Parish.

This is really the crux of the problem:

"Why didn't white folks do this when they had power" at City Hall?

The logic is baffling to me.

And then I see this stupidity:

"Among other things, the changes eliminated a plan to finance the office by imposing a 0.25 percent fee on all contracts awarded by the city or other local agencies worth $10,000 or more. Thus, a company getting a $1 million contract would have had to pay $2,500 to the inspector general's office. The idea was borrowed from the inspector general's office for Miami-Dade County, Fla., whose director testified twice before the council this year.
Instead, the local office will be financed from the city's general fund. "

So now, if the Inspector General get too close to corruption of people in power, they can just cut his funding through the general fund.

More stupidity:

"The amendments approved Thursday reduced the amount of required experience from 10 years to five years and the minimum period outside city government from five years to two years. They also reduced the inspector general's term from six years to four years."

We wouldn't want someone with 10 years experience doing this job. And, obviously if you have to be out of city government for more than 5 years, you can't even use this job as a patronage job. How are we to continue the political patronage and corruption without these amendments?

Nothing like voting along racial lines. Black and white, the new Republican and Deomocrat.:(

The council's only divided vote on the issue came on an amendment by Councilman James Carter to have the council, rather than the five-member advisory committee, do a three-month review of the new office's "guidelines and procedures."
Midura said that would compromise the office's immunity from politics, but Carter said it would help allay the fears of those who think the office would "discriminate against certain people."
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ads.nola.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_jx.ads/www.nola.com/xml/story/N/NP1/@StoryAd"></SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT src="http://ds.serving-sys.com/BurstingCachedScripts//Templates_62_5/StdBanner/StdBanner.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT event=FSCommand(command,args) for=ebStdBanner0>try{command = command.replace(/FSCommand:/ig,"");if(command.toLowerCase()=="ebinteraction")gEbStdBanners[0].handleInteraction();}catch(e){}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--if (parseFloat(navigator.appVersion) == 0) {document.write('<IFRAME WIDTH=468 HEIGHT=60 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 HSPACE=0 VSPACE=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=no BORDERCOLOR="#000000" SRC="http://ads.nola.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_sx.ads/www.nola.com/xml/story/N/NP1/@StoryAd"></IFRAME>');}--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
His amendment passed 4-3, with Hedge-Morrell, Willard-Lewis and Oliver Thomas joining Carter, and Fielkow and Head joining Midura.
Noting that the 4-3 vote followed racial lines, with the four black members on one side and the three white members on the other, Midura broke into tears, saying the vote was "absolutely heartbreaking to me," because an issue she had hoped "would bring us together" instead had done the opposite and had caused people to accuse her of being a racist, a charge she denied.

Last edited:
I encourage anyone that is interested (and local) to tell James Carter, the author of the amendment, exactly what you think of his decision to let race-baiting demagogues hijack this reform:

JCarter@cityofno.com

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You can also contact the other members that voted to neuter the IG's office at:[/FONT]

CHMorrell@cityofno.com
CWLewis@cityofno.com
OMThomas@cityofno.com

Although, you are likely wasting your breath.

After the election, there seemed to be a chance that Carter would align with Head, Midura and Fielkow to form a pro-reform majority. So much for that. Race trumps all in New Orleans.

Last edited:
I encourage anyone that is interested (and local) to ask James Carter, the author of the amendment, exactly what you think of his decision to let race-baiting demagogues hijack this reform:

JCarter@cityofno.com

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You can also contact the other members that voted to neuter the IG's office atl at:[/FONT]

CHMorrell@cityofno.com
CWLewis@cityofno.com
OMThomas@cityofno.com

Although, you are likely wasting your breath.

After the election, there seemed to be a chance that Carter would align with Head, Midura and Fielkow to form a pro-reform majority. So much for that. Race trumps all in New Orleans.

I'd love to write them Sparkle, but after hearing Oliver Thomas this morning and reading that article, I'm not sure I could write anything that would not cause them to immediately close my email. I can think of nothing tactful to say. This has got to be one of the sadest public moments in the history of New Orleans politics. I'm sure worse things have gone on behind closed doors, but IMO, this is even worse than Mayor Wonka's Chocolate City Comment. At least Nagin had the excuse of being crazy and his comment was not made to protect political patronage and corruption, it was made for him to win the election.

I'd love to write them Sparkle, but after hearing Oliver Thomas this morning and reading that article, I'm not sure I could write anything that would not cause them to immediately close my email. I can think of nothing tactful to say. This has got to be one of the sadest public moments in the history of New Orleans politics. I'm sure worse things have gone on behind closed doors, but IMO, this is even worse than Mayor Wonka's Chocolate City Comment. At least Nagin had the excuse of being crazy and his comment was not made to protect political patronage and corruption, it was made for him to win the election.

I hear you.

Then at least write Midura, Head and Fielkow and tell them not to give in or give up.

smidura@cityofno.com
shead@cityofno.com
afielkow@cityofno.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom