Any comments on the latest deliberate stupidity at City Hall? (1 Viewer)

The overwhelming ignorance of some of the citizens of this city never ceases to amaze me.

This was a white person's idea? Must be racist.

Whoever is lying to these people about the intent of this legislation is using their ignorance to further his own personal gain. This is the very person the IG would have ousted. I can understand his panic, but I would have thought ONE of the African Americans on the City Council would have stood up and done the right thing.

But once again, greed, ignorance, and appeasing the race-baiters is more important than solving the problem.

And then these same people wonder why the streets are never fixed, why the RTA can't run enough buses, and why their neighborhood schools don't have textbooks.

But now the answer will be: because you WANTED your leaders to lie, cheat, and steal with no accountability.

Same old New Orleans. Absolutely sickening.

I cannot see the video on my company-issue desktop. Is there a link to what's got everyone riled up? Thank you in advance.

Yep, like religion and ethnicity in Iraq, race in New Orleans trumps all.

New Orleans has had the worst leadership of any major Southern city I know of. And I suspect the reason is that the city has never had a real business establishment, people with real power and real money rather than people who worry about Mardi Gras and the society page, who could get together in private, decide what compromises should be made, and then agree to stay together on what had been decided.

Rather, New Orleans has had for decades this strange power vacuum where the politicians and "community leaders" have competed for power.

It takes extraordinary leadership to ovecome race--especially in a city where blacks have gained political power--and New Orleans doesn't have it.

I just sent an email to all of them linking this thread. I don't know if any will read and certainly don't think it will do any good but..........

I cannot see the video on my company-issue desktop. Is there a link to what's got everyone riled up? Thank you in advance.

Sorry, Sooner Jim. Here's the link to the text article at WWL-TV.com:
http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl110206tpcouncil.fa70040.html

Here'e NOLA.com's article:
http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpa...690.xml&coll=1

And WWL radio:
http://www.wwl.com/Article.asp?id=300145

EDIT: If your work computer lets you listen to audio, here's an audio link from WWL radio:
http://www.wwl.com/Article.asp?id=113214

Last edited:
The overwhelming ignorance of some of the citizens of this city never ceases to amaze me.

Whoever is lying to these people about the intent of this legislation is using their ignorance to further his own personal gain. This is the very person the IG would have ousted. I can understand his panic, but I would have thought ONE of the African Americans on the City Council would have stood up and done the right thing.

But once again, greed, ignorance, and appeasing the race-baiters is more important than solving the problem.

And then these same people wonder why the streets are never fixed, why the RTA can't run enough buses, and why their neighborhood schools don't have textbooks.

But now the answer will be: because you WANTED your leaders to lie, cheat, and steal with no accountability.

The thing that annoys me the most is thinking about a conversation I had with my black neighbors on either side of my house. We were standing in front of my flooded house which was right next to their flooded house having a conversation. Both of the neighbors said that the old days of race separating us in New Orleans was over. They weren't going to let the community leaders and politicians separate us anymore. I thought it was great. For a time I was encouraged, especially when I heard similar stories from people around the City.

But, it looks like it was all bull. Maybe some people do still feel that way, but all that progress appears to be gone now. In fact, it looks like we have regressed. And I don't think the black people are solely or even mostly to blame for it. Equal blame should be assigned to the white people living in Audubon place and elsewhere who dreamed of a white New Orleans where the poor black people would not return and who felt this was their opportunity to seize back control of the city for "their kind." It's sickening coming from both sides. The only difference is that black politicians and "community leaders" say it in public to win votes.

I guess it's my own fault that I feel betrayed and shocked by all this. I'm just too much of an idealist for believing that things really did change.

Nothing will change while the ignorant continue blindly following leaders who do nothing but exploit their fear to remain in power. Black AND white.

I made comments along these lines months ago on this board.

New Orleans called me out like I had killed their mother.

To me it is just business as usual. I made a comment that I thought the city had too much crime for me to consider raising my family here. I also spoke of the schools and neglected infrastructure.

I was chastised big time.

Thank you for saying it for me.

It seems sometimes freedom of speech, or having an opinion does not apply.

Joe

Mama D, is she the same lady from the infamous, "Causeway Concentration Camp" speech?

Why does it always appear in New Orleans that if you fix the "black" people then New Orleans will be okay?

All you ever hear is: All of the black politicians are corrupt. All of the black people are criminals. All of the black people are uneducated or dumb.

I haven't heard hardly anyone say anthing "good or positive" about blacks in New Orleans. Do you honestly believe that if you "fix" the black people New Orleans will be a better city.

Who controls the resources in New Orleans? It's definitely not the black people. If they did then most blacks in New Orleans wouldn't be poor.

Politicians work for the people that contribute financially to their campaigns. Follow the money and you'll find out who the politicians are working for, black and white. An IG might make people feel better, but it won't change that.

True change only comes when resources are shared and exchanged by everyone. Not when one group controls them and then sprinkles a little out to the other group. For those of you who are honest about making a REAL change in New Orleans, then talk to those that have the resources about sharing with those that do not. If this doesn't happen then New Orleans will NEVER change IG or no IG.

True change only comes when resources are shared and exchanged by everyone. Not when one group controls them and then sprinkles a little out to the other group. For those of you who are honest about making a REAL change in New Orleans, then talk to those that have the resources about sharing with those that do not. If this doesn't happen then New Orleans will NEVER change IG or no IG.

Explain resources please.

True change only comes when resources are shared and exchanged by everyone. Not when one group controls them and then sprinkles a little out to the other group. For those of you who are honest about making a REAL change in New Orleans, then talk to those that have the resources about sharing with those that do not. If this doesn't happen then New Orleans will NEVER change IG or no IG.[/QUOTE]

This, in a nutshell, is the problem with New Orleans.

People that work harder than others, and become more sucessful and wealthier than others should not have to give the fruits of their labor to
those not willing to do the same.

And don't talk to me about opportunity. My family was not poor, but we were REAL close.

One reason why I can be considered sucessful is that I worked two jobs for eleven years to put myself through colleges.

If I had control of any resources, they would only be given to those that
earned them, unless (of course) you were elderly or handicapped. Then you would be well cared for.

All free housing should be eliminated. There should never be a free lunch.

Just my opinion.

Joe

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom