Any dentists in house? Question about temporary crown (1 Viewer)

Brennan77

Dubious
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I had a root canal a few weeks ago and had the temporary crown put on today. The tooth is very low so there was some trouble with adhesion. Sure enough, after dinner while sipping some water, the water got under the crown and lifted it up. I pressed it back down and it stayed down...until I had some more water. At this point I went with it and pulled the crown all the way up before pushing it back in. It is staying put as long as I don't mess with it or flood the area with water

It is the very back bottom molar. My concern is that it would come loose over night and I might swallow or choke on it. But I don't want to damage it by having it outside my mouth. I'm hoping the dentist can try to adhere it again tomorrow morning before I start work.

Thoughts or experiences?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Leave it out of your mouth for tonight and go see your dentist first thing tomorrow. He should be able to re-cement it in the morning.

He may need to do some crown lengthening to help with retention.

I had a root canal a few weeks ago and had the temporary crown put on today. The tooth is very low so there was some trouble with adhesion. Sure enough, after dinner while sipping some water, the water got under the crown and lifted it up. I pressed it back down and it stayed down...until I had some more water. At this point I went with it and pulled the crown all the way up before pushing it back in. It is staying put as long as I don't mess with it or flood the area with water

It is the very back bottom molar. My concern is that it would come loose over night and I might swallow or choke on it. But I don't want to damage it by having it outside my mouth. I'm hoping the dentist can try to adhere it again tomorrow morning before I start work.

Thoughts or experiences?

Brennan. Dentist here. The temporary crown on a root canal tooth is meant to protect it from breaking. Just be careful from eating hard things and you should be fine. You have two options. Go to the drug store and get an over the counter temporary dental cement (like dentemp) or be careful on eating hard stuff until you can see your dentist. If you are really worried about swallowing it, just take it off.

castaway-5tooth-e1320434813237.jpg

Leave it out of your mouth for tonight and go see your dentist first thing tomorrow. He should be able to re-cement it in the morning.

He may need to do some crown lengthening to help with retention.

Thanks. Should I try to brush the area and the crown free of the access adhesive?

Thanks guys. I thinking I may pull it back out for a bit and see how uncomfortable it is. The gums are a bit tender as this was placed just this morning. I think I will wait on the self cementing. I'm going to try to meet the dentist there first thing in the morning. If she can't see me before I have to get to work I may try it.

To complicate matters I am leaving for Europe next week. She did tell me that it was likely to come loose during my trip but to just leave it off and keep the tooth as clean as possible. The timing of these things is never convenient.

On another note, the crown placement and creation was worse than the root canal, IMO.

As a dental student, I will defer to the experienced dentist. However, I wouldn't mess with the crown too much. You can brush the preparation (your tooth) if you'd like.

BTW, this is why Saintsreport is the bomb diggity bomb. I really appreciate the help.

As a dental student, I will defer to the experienced dentist. However, I wouldn't mess with the crown too much. You can brush the preparation (your tooth) if you'd like.
Next year I will be a dentist 30 years. Where did the time go? The function of a temporary on a root canal tooth is to give cuspal coverage (protect from fracture) and maintain the position of the teeth until the permanent crown can be placed. Even if it is off for two weeks, it just means a little more work for the dentist to place the permanent crown, (adjusting contacts). Just be careful of what you eat and you will be fine. I once heard of a home temporary cement of Vaseline and flour. Never tried it but if you want try it, give it a go. But you really should be fine without it. I give my patients individual packets of temporary cements just to cover them. I think it is a nice thing to do.

Next year I will be a dentist 30 years. Where did the time go? The function of a temporary on a root canal tooth is to give cuspal coverage (protect from fracture) and maintain the position of the teeth until the permanent crown can be placed. Even if it is off for two weeks, it just means a little more work for the dentist to place the permanent crown, (adjusting contacts). Just be careful of what you eat and you will be fine. I once heard of a home temporary cement of Vaseline and flour. Never tried it but if you want try it, give it a go. But you really should be fine without it. I give my patients individual packets of temporary cements just to cover them. I think it is a nice thing to do.

I'll definitely be bringing something with me to France.

Brennan, Call your dentist. They can pop it back on in 5 minutes. The problem is it will probably come off again. Low preps are famous for it. Again. No problem if it does. Where in France are you going? I am so jealous!

Brennan, Call your dentist. They can pop it back on in 5 minutes. The problem is it will probably come off again. Low preps are famous for it. Again. No problem if it does. Where in France are you going? I am so jealous!

I'll call first thing in the morning. Thanks.

My wife and I are celebrating 10 years. We are spending a long weekend in Paris, a couple of days in burgundy visiting a couple of wineries I represent here in Nola and then a couple of days in Alsace before heading back to Paris for one last night. Good grief has this trip turned into something expensive! But it needs to be epic for an epic anniversary.

I'll call first thing in the morning. Thanks.

My wife and I are celebrating 10 years. We are spending a long weekend in Paris, a couple of days in burgundy visiting a couple of wineries I represent here in Nola and then a couple of days in Alsace before heading back to Paris for one last night. Good grief has this trip turned into something expensive! But it needs to be epic for an epic anniversary.

Enjoy every second! It is a trip of a lifetime that will give you wonderful memories the rest of your life! Do you know any French? This is what an American in France told me that helped me a lot. I know "high school" French and was hesitant to speak it. He told me to go for it! This is what the French want. You are 1.) giving honor to their culture and 2.) you look ignorant that feeds into their superiority. It worked for me. LOL! The phrase that helped me the most was" Je voudrais s il vous plait". It got me what I wanted. They immediately speak English after that, at least in Paris. I know you will both have a magical trip!

I just got a crown put in. I had the temporary crown in for 2 weeks. Didn't have a problem with it.. but my dentist said if it came off, just call and she would put it back on. I knew as guy who's permanent crown came off, and he superglued it back on.. worked pretty good.. he said it would happen every now and then.. that's crazy..lol..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom