Any docs on right now? (1 Viewer)

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Waiting on results but it appears I ruptured my right achillies playin soccer tonite. What am I looking at as far as recovery?

Unreal. And it's true when they say it's like someone hits u in the back of lower leg with a bat and makes a distinct pop.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

OP
efil4stnias

efil4stnias

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ok well it's ruptured they now waiting to see if disconnected from bone or not. This sux.....surgery will be required. Doggonit.

Humbruh

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this! Hope your surgery and recovery goes well.
After surgery, you'll most likely have very limited if any weight bearing allowed on that ankle (2-4 weeks). You'll be using some form of assistive device (crutches) with a cast boot or ankle boot to protect / immobilize the tendon.
Make sure you get outpatient therapy to work on it. If there's swelling, asks the therapists if they practice kinesiotaping... It works very well for swelling and pain. ( in addition to ice, and elevation). In the mean time, cardiovascular / Upper body exercises will be beneficial.
-Expect limited active range of motion at 4-6 weeks
-normal gait training at 8 weeks, provided you archieve normal range of motion
-more intensive strength training at 12-16 weeks (no sports yet)

Good luck!

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Don't know if this would work for you, but one of the docs at my hospital couldn't put weight on his foot and used a little scooter looking cart instead of crutches. It had a sort of platform that he rested his knee on with a handle that came up for him to hold on to. He bent his leg at the knee to use it. He could move around really great with it. Much less awkward than using crutches. Good luck!

OP
efil4stnias

efil4stnias

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this! Hope your surgery and recovery goes well.
After surgery, you'll most likely have very limited if any weight bearing allowed on that ankle (2-4 weeks). You'll be using some form of assistive device (crutches) with a cast boot or ankle boot to protect / immobilize the tendon.
Make sure you get outpatient therapy to work on it. If there's swelling, asks the therapists if they practice kinesiotaping... It works very well for swelling and pain. ( in addition to ice, and elevation). In the mean time, cardiovascular / Upper body exercises will be beneficial.
-Expect limited active range of motion at 4-6 weeks
-normal gait training at 8 weeks, provided you archieve normal range of motion
-more intensive strength training at 12-16 weeks (no sports yet)

Good luck!
Thanks ....I see ortho Monday. ER doc said that there may be a chance of non-sugical method of repair, but if recovery time is greatly extended I will prolly opt for surgery.

Any idea how long surgery is? I'm not a fan of going under lol

OP
efil4stnias

efil4stnias

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Don't know if this would work for you, but one of the docs at my hospital couldn't put weight on his foot and used a little scooter looking cart instead of crutches. It had a sort of platform that he rested his knee on with a handle that came up for him to hold on to. He bent his leg at the knee to use it. He could move around really great with it. Much less awkward than using crutches. Good luck!
I'm going to ask ortho about it. These crutches are quite awkward ...especially gettin in n out car.

jbourque

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know about recovery time but I've covered a few Achilles tendon repairs and with anchors and fiber wire you'll be as good as new. You can also scaffold the tendon with graft jacket or an Amnio patch for enhanced recovery.

OP
efil4stnias

efil4stnias

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know about recovery time but I've covered a few Achilles tendon repairs and with anchors and fiber wire you'll be as good as new. You can also scaffold the tendon with graft jacket or an Amnio patch for enhanced recovery.
Is that somethin I ask surgeon about? Or is that for post op?

jbourque

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is that somethin I ask surgeon about? Or is that for post op?

No, that part of the implants/biologics in the surgery. Definitely ask your physician, preferably an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot & ankle.

OP
efil4stnias

efil4stnias

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
No, that part of the implants/biologics in the surgery. Definitely ask your physician, preferably an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot & ankle.
Ok I see him Monday. Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DerrickB Vlog: The "Get Right" Game for the Defense this Sunday Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8