Any docs on right now? (1 Viewer)

Just drink water and put a little robotussin on it

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

Any idea how long surgery is? I'm not a fan of going under lol

Sorry, I don't know how long it takes for the surgery.

Don't know if this would work for you, but one of the docs at my hospital couldn't put weight on his foot and used a little scooter looking cart instead of crutches. It had a sort of platform that he rested his knee on with a handle that came up for him to hold on to. He bent his leg at the knee to use it. He could move around really great with it. Much less awkward than using crutches. Good luck!

I believe that device is called a knee scooter.

update:

met with Ortho yesterday- actually have a few options. My rupture was almost middle of tendon ( which apparently is a good thing ) and not detached from heel anchor or calf anchor.

option 1- no surgery- allow tendon to "mend" on its own
option 2- full surgery- 4-5 inch incision, mend the tendon, graph it, close it up
option 3- a lil of both- a 1 inch incision and a 1 mm one about an inch above. In the smaller one, he pulls the top tendon down to the 1 inch "window" - helps the tendon "mend" by 1-2 sutures, closes up and then we follow the "no surgery" regimen.

Recent studies have shown there is no difference in "re-rupture" rate between no surgery option and surgery. Further, because my health insurance isnt really insurance, but a god-awful group plan, surgery will cost me ( out of pocket ) between $5000 ( low end ) up to $10,000 ( high end ). Im supposed to get an indication from him as to what he charges so I can get a better handle on what my end cost would be should I do surgery.

In meantime, he put me in cast with foot "plantar flexed" (sp?) ( pointing downward ) but already cut on both sides for easy removal if I opt for surgery. I check back in two weeks, and if tendon has made "connection" then he thinks no surgery will be needed. If no connection, we will probably do option 3.

Also mentioned PRP therapy - platelet therapy...( he said Gronkowski from Pats did this ) and it supposedly speeds up tendon repair. I can only imagine the cost. And since im not an NFL player with NFL salary, im going to have to pass. lol.

1 year he said. 1 year to get to probably 80%. He was dead serious. Let the fun begin.

update:

met with Ortho yesterday- actually have a few options. My rupture was almost middle of tendon ( which apparently is a good thing ) and not detached from heel anchor or calf anchor.

option 1- no surgery- allow tendon to "mend" on its own
option 2- full surgery- 4-5 inch incision, mend the tendon, graph it, close it up
option 3- a lil of both- a 1 inch incision and a 1 mm one about an inch above. In the smaller one, he pulls the top tendon down to the 1 inch "window" - helps the tendon "mend" by 1-2 sutures, closes up and then we follow the "no surgery" regimen.

Recent studies have shown there is no difference in "re-rupture" rate between no surgery option and surgery. Further, because my health insurance isnt really insurance, but a god-awful group plan, surgery will cost me ( out of pocket ) between $5000 ( low end ) up to $10,000 ( high end ). Im supposed to get an indication from him as to what he charges so I can get a better handle on what my end cost would be should I do surgery.

In meantime, he put me in cast with foot "plantar flexed" (sp?) ( pointing downward ) but already cut on both sides for easy removal if I opt for surgery. I check back in two weeks, and if tendon has made "connection" then he thinks no surgery will be needed. If no connection, we will probably do option 3.

Also mentioned PRP therapy - platelet therapy...( he said Gronkowski from Pats did this ) and it supposedly speeds up tendon repair. I can only imagine the cost. And since im not an NFL player with NFL salary, im going to have to pass. lol.

1 year he said. 1 year to get to probably 80%. He was dead serious. Let the fun begin.

It sucks to have your pro soccer dreams ripped from you like this.

Get well soon, man.

It sucks to have your pro soccer dreams ripped from you like this.

Get well soon, man.

rotflmta

yeah, i was looking for that transfer fee of, ohhhh $10 and a sammich, to my home club, "The Green Team" out of Pelican Park in Mandeville.

sorry to hear that man.

The "scooter" that was mentioned above is called a knee caddy. And it does work great in place of crutches. Until you have some stairs you need to get up or down. Hopefully you don't.

I am recovering from a broken fibula, tibia, and talus(basically the whole ankle joint) and a dislocated ankle. Really nasty break that took a plate and nine screws. Happened in Nov '12 and I am just now getting into Physical Therapy.

I know what you are about to go through, stay strong mentally, it can get to you. Good luck to you!

sorry to hear that man.

The "scooter" that was mentioned above is called a knee caddy. And it does work great in place of crutches. Until you have some stairs you need to get up or down. Hopefully you don't.

I am recovering from a broken fibula, tibia, and talus(basically the whole ankle joint) and a dislocated ankle. Really nasty break that took a plate and nine screws. Happened in Nov '12 and I am just now getting into Physical Therapy.

I know what you are about to go through, stay strong mentally, it can get to you. Good luck to you!

holee crap bro....thats well beyond what I did.

Yeah he didnt even discuss PT w/ me...he said "lets get that tendon healed first". So at the very earliest 3 months before PT starts. Its this cast with my foot pointed down, highly uncomfortable, but they trying to get the ends of tendon to touch to begin mending on own.

Probably why he pre-cut the cast...knowing a couple days of this and i will call back to schedule surgery lol.

knee caddy...gonna check it out

Waiting on results but it appears I ruptured my right achillies playin soccer tonite. What am I looking at as far as recovery?

Unreal. And it's true when they say it's like someone hits u in the back of lower leg with a bat and makes a distinct pop.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to hear about your impending bankruptcy. And your achillies -- that too.

Sorry to hear about your impending bankruptcy. And your achillies -- that too.

Oh i already found out what my lovely heath plan will cover....its absurd.

I have $2000 individual deductible ( so $2000 off the bat )

for Outpatient surgery, I have to meet deductible ( see above ) then only 50% of cost.

Max out of pocket is $10,000. So im looking at $12,000 max...but prolly like $6-8000 min

yay me

Here is a pic of the knee caddy I have. Couldn't imagine going this long with out it.

Just be careful, beers can cause falling over...still better than crutches tho.

Attachments

• turning_leg_caddy_knee_scooter-400-400.jpg
    turning_leg_caddy_knee_scooter-400-400.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 66
Here is a pic of the knee caddy I have. Couldn't imagine going this long with out it.

5 star rims, eh? lol

i'd rock it.

dayumm....$299.00? good lawd. Yeah, may have to break down and get one. Problem is, I cant put ANY weight on foot for first 1-2 months. I may cop one of those once i can at least put my foot down and walk once i arrive at destination.

A Philly Eagle (Jason Peters) who ruptured his Achilles and underwent surgical repair last year fell of his and re-ruptured the tendon.

Then, he filed suit against the manufacturer of the device.

Second Achilles' injury to Eagles' Peters brings lawsuit

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom