Any docs on right now? (1 Viewer)

well, i did fall once on mine. had it kind of shoot out in front of me as i was putting my knee on it. Instinctively, I caught myself on the bad leg. Talk about a new kinda hurt. Had swelling under control and just about to start PT. That set me back about two weeks. But still, I fell way more times using crutches. You just have to careful getting on it. keep the brake engaged until you're ready to move and go slow when turning.

But yeah, I could def see where you could injure yourself with one, but to me, not as easily as I could with crutches.

As far as the expense, that is a good dent. Mine was covered partially by insurance. I think it was $100.00 deposit and $28 bucks a month rent from a Medical Equipment place.

So I started PT today.

whew. ..just some massage ( to get fluid/swelling down ) and some rudy poot exercises. Will be like this for first few sessions.

My goodness i have no strength in my foot at all. sad really. Atrophy took toll on calf and thigh. Lost 9 lbs over 45 days and that was mostly muscle. PT did say it will not take too long to get back but dont expect to be walking without assistance til mid/late June

Real stuff will not start til im 4+ weeks post op. So i will enjoy the 20 min foot massage.

Maybe i can catch a ride w/ Kobe to Germany for treatment? :mwink:

Sorry to hear about your impending bankruptcy. And your achillies -- that too.

Well damn you.

I was just notified yesterday by my Health insurer that the procedure, while done by an orthopedic surgeon IN NETWORK, was preformed at a center that is OUT OF NETWORK.

What does that mean, you ask?

Well, the first bill just arrived $2782 for anesthesia. Now just waiting on the room/center bill ( but if its what I saw back in April 2013 - it was just shy of $12,000 )

I am speechless. I specifically addressed the doc on 2 occasions that my having surgery decision was going to be in part how much i would owe out of pocket. They concluded, after reviewing my health coverage ( that they had from DAY 1) around $4000. Which we paid day of surgery.

Now im out $4000 and waiting to be billed an additional $12,000 on top of the $2782 i just got.

im not layin down on this one. Im seeking out attorney. This is insane and the system is completely broken.

Well damn you.

I was just notified yesterday by my Health insurer that the procedure, while done by an orthopedic surgeon IN NETWORK, was preformed at a center that is OUT OF NETWORK.

Well, the first bill just arrived $2782 for anesthesia. Now just waiting on the room/center bill ( but if its what I saw back in April 2013 - it was just shy of $12,000 )

I am speechless. I specifically addressed the doc on 2 occasions that my having surgery decision was going to be in part how much i would owe out of pocket. They concluded, after reviewing my health coverage ( that they had from DAY 1) around $4000. Which we paid day of surgery.

Now im out $4000 and waiting to be billed an additional $12,000 on top of the $2782 i just got.

im not layin down on this one. Im seeking out attorney. This is insane and the system is completely broken.

That sucks and all........but are you back on the pitch yet?

Ok well it's ruptured they now waiting to see if disconnected from bone or not. This sux.....surgery will be required. Doggonit.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Is now a good time to shop for the best prices on doctors, surgeries, medicines and MRI type stuff? If not, at least keep it in mind. Be careful and good luck with your recovery.

Well damn you.

We learned this years ago. Do not rely on one party to accurately tell you if one of the other parties is actually in your network. First, they do not know and they probably do not care. Verify with your insurance company FIRST.

We learned this years ago. Do not rely on one party to accurately tell you if one of the other parties is actually in your network. First, they do not know and they probably do not care. Verify with your insurance company FIRST.

Well seeing as this was my first ever injury requiring any medical intervention I had no clue nor was I instructed by anyone to do this. The ortho, once he determined I would need the surgery, got his scheduler to do it asap. We spoke to her twice and my wife has all the notes from their multiple conversations.

We were SPECIFICALLY told that while the center was not in network, they are treated as IN NETWORK because my surgeon is. So we went off that info that came direct from surgeons office. We were told this happens frequently and not an issue. Well then...

I have been misled and the issue I have is that there is a certain level of trust you are giving to the surgeon and staff regarding not only my well being but the insurance aspect. If the former goes wrong, due to a mistake, you have recourse. But if they screw up on the insurance aspect it's "oh my bad?"

Yeah....not sitting well with me.

I had a 31 min procedure that is now costing me close to $18000.

Nah I'm not accepting that

Well damn you.

Sorry for sarcasming. :covri:

Sucks that the joke became reality -- well not quite yet anyways.

Well seeing as this was my first ever injury requiring any medical intervention I had no clue nor was I instructed by anyone to do this. The ortho, once he determined I would need the surgery, got his scheduler to do it asap. We spoke to her twice and my wife has all the notes from their multiple conversations.

We were SPECIFICALLY told that while the center was not in network, they are treated as IN NETWORK because my surgeon is. So we went off that info that came direct from surgeons office. We were told this happens frequently and not an issue. Well then...

I have been misled and the issue I have is that there is a certain level of trust you are giving to the surgeon and staff regarding not only my well being but the insurance aspect. If the former goes wrong, due to a mistake, you have recourse. But if they screw up on the insurance aspect it's "oh my bad?"

Yeah....not sitting well with me.

I had a 31 min procedure that is now costing me close to $18000.

Nah I'm not accepting that

Yeah, well get a lawyer and come to the understanding that you are accepting it. There's nothing you can do about it. They can screw up your treatments and screw up your surgery and they can lie to you or mislead you about your surgery. They can charge you a million dollars and tell you its in network and when it isn't they can sue you and ruin your credit.

Worst of all you probably thought you were doing your due diligence and had good insurance. Heck, might even have thought you could trust the folks selling you the service.

Not.

Well damn you.

Call your state's insurance commissioner's office. I'm not sure if they can help, but you have nothing to lose either. I think you may have a good case at least for arbitration.

I hope your recovery is proceeding well.

Yeah, well get a lawyer and come to the understanding that you are accepting it. There's nothing you can do about it. They can screw up your treatments and screw up your surgery and they can lie to you or mislead you about your surgery. They can charge you a million dollars and tell you its in network and when it isn't they can sue you and ruin your credit.

Worst of all you probably thought you were doing your due diligence and had good insurance. Heck, might even have thought you could trust the folks selling you the service.

Not.

of course i did ( the due diligence part ) . I KNEW my insurance was not the best ( crap group plan at work ) which is why we kept asking for bottom line figures to determine if I would even have the surgery due to out of pocket expenses.

My injury was such that it was beginning to heal on its own. I tore it mid-line, which was the best possible place to tear. The ONLY reason i elected to have the surgery was 1) the total out of pocket cost was under $6000 2) and doc said there was a slight defect...a depression where part of the tendon did not "meet" and while it was ok, he said to do surgery to make sure its connected at 100% and not 80% to avoid re-rupture.

I know you are saying there is nothing i can do about it. And you are probably right.

But im going to find out on my own. I am speaking to attorney today ( friend of mine - ) and will go from there. I also have a friend in the health care industry who also said he can "guide" me as to how to approach United Healthcare ( my insurer ). He manages the billing dept for large managed care group in La.

So im hopeful with both that i can come to some sort of amicable resolution to this.

Oh and i also know the anesthisiologist. So im speaking with him as well.

So i consider myself lucky in that I have access to some folks that normally I wouldnt have. I may owe some favors once this is all done, but so be it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom