Any insight into this "law" about it being illegal to mail perfume? (1 Viewer)

Pure Energy

Rethink Everything
Reaction score
So my wife was mailing a small package of perfume to my Mother. Went to the Post Office and the worker asked if there was any liquids or fragile items in the package and I told her there was perfume. She checked with another worker and he indicated it is "against the law" to mail perfume. She returned my package and I left grateful that I wasn't in handcuffs.

What's the story here...why is it "illegal" to mail perfume?:dunno:

Was it the perfume or the dead body it was on that was the problem? I've had the latter happen before.

/seriously though I have no idea.. I figured you could mail it.

Somebody gave me a wine club membership for Christmas and they ship the bottles to me via UPS. I don't know if the rules are different for perfume, though.

DHL, Fed Ex Ground or UPS is your friend.

Not sure if there is current and applies to today, but check out 2.4 :

http://pe.usps.gov/search/jsp/searc...arser=Simple&querytext=(liquids)&dtype=2#hit0

I saw that before posting this. That seems to indicate that it's okay to send liquids in certain packaging.

2.4 Liquids

Mailers must mark the outer container of a mailpiece containing liquid to indicate the nature of the contents. Mailers must package and mail liquids under the following conditions:
a. Use screw-on caps, soldering, clips, or similar means to close mailpieces containing liquids. Do not use only friction-top closures (push-down types).
b. Liquids in steel pails and drums with positive closures, such as locking rings or recessed spouts under screw-cap closures, may be mailed without additional packaging.
c. Package glass and other breakable containers of liquid with a capacity of more than 4 fluid ounces according to the following requirements:
1. Cushion the primary container with material sufficient to absorb all leakage in case of breakage.
2. Place the primary container inside another sealed, leakproof container (secondary container), such as a can or plastic bag.
3. Use an outer mailing container that is strong enough to protect the contents.
d. As an alternative to 2.4c above, mailers may use containers certified by the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) that passed ISTA's Test Procedure 3A. Mailers must provide their ISTA 3A Package-Product Certification Notice at the time of mailing as verification that the mailpieces they are submitting passed the required performance test.

I saw that before posting this. That seems to indicate that it's okay to send liquids in certain packaging.

2.4 Liquids

Mailers must mark the outer container of a mailpiece containing liquid to indicate the nature of the contents. Mailers must package and mail liquids under the following conditions:
a. Use screw-on caps, soldering, clips, or similar means to close mailpieces containing liquids. Do not use only friction-top closures (push-down types).
b. Liquids in steel pails and drums with positive closures, such as locking rings or recessed spouts under screw-cap closures, may be mailed without additional packaging.
c. Package glass and other breakable containers of liquid with a capacity of more than 4 fluid ounces according to the following requirements:
1. Cushion the primary container with material sufficient to absorb all leakage in case of breakage.
2. Place the primary container inside another sealed, leakproof container (secondary container), such as a can or plastic bag.
3. Use an outer mailing container that is strong enough to protect the contents.
d. As an alternative to 2.4c above, mailers may use containers certified by the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) that passed ISTA's Test Procedure 3A. Mailers must provide their ISTA 3A Package-Product Certification Notice at the time of mailing as verification that the mailpieces they are submitting passed the required performance test.

Yep, once again, if this is current regulation, then I don't see the problem with mailing the perfume. :dunno:

IIRC after 9/11 and all the terrorism threats that followed they banned mailing anything containing flammable liquid contents. A few bomb threats were made through the mail and one of the packages found contained a set up with a bottle of household cleaner and a couple of strike anywhere matches and something else but I forgot what the third item was. After that it was banned mailing anything with liquid flammable content.

Maybe its been used to mask the scent of drugs or whatever from drug sniffing dogs? Something along those lines?

Not sure... maybe the Postmaster General is just a curmudgeonly old man.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom