Any kickers worth drafting this year? (1 Viewer)

Ok....and Asante Samuel and Mike McKenzie wouldn't even be considered first day picks now....that doesn't mean we should ignore CB in rounds 1 and 2.

All I know is, if we would have had a kicker that could nail 50+ yarders, we wouldn't have had to send Cundiff into the game to kick a lead changing FG in the NFCCG two years ago. A great kicker would have gotten us that lead....we may not have lost all control after that. Martin did great for us last year...but let's try really hard to get that great kicker.

but most good college kickers fail not because of a weak leg or bad accuracy , or miss rate . that would be facts to draft for , but they mostly missed because of nfl-pressure and not can handle clutch moments like mare.

its a BIG gamble for someone with about 5 tries a game. so testing 3-4 kickers in preseason and training camp is way better and more effective in my eyes. just look at oakland , the only reason janikowski didnt get cut is because of his draft status

Ok....and Asante Samuel and Mike McKenzie wouldn't even be considered first day picks now....that doesn't mean we should ignore CB in rounds 1 and 2.

again : 60 snaps > 5-6 snaps

But the fact is that nobody in this GREAT forum would be the least bit happy with 85% from 40 yds in.

Looks like my % was a bit lower than it should have been. We were 82% from 39 yards or under last year while the league average was 96%. If my math is correct, the league was 540 out of 562 from 39 or less.

ESPN - NFL Football Statistics and League Leaders - National Football League

again : 60 snaps > 5-6 snaps

And what do you think the odds of a 7th round CB playing 60 snaps are?

No one is saying to give up a 1st for one...heck I don't even think I'd use a 5th or 6th...but a 7th is not much to ask for.

Colston is so odd that every single time he touches the baller an announcer somewhere says, "and he was a 7th round draft pick." The odds of it happening again are at least 1/300....I'd take my chances and put it on competition for Martin.

And about the % from under 40 thing...yeah...that's great most can do that, but then you have to get it to the 22 or 23 first. If you have someone that can make the 50+ consistently, it takes at least 10-15 yards off of the O's shoulders.

If you have someone that can make the 50+ consistently, it takes at least 10-15 yards off of the O's shoulders.

The league was 47 out of 100 from 50 yards or more, which means very few can consistently hit from 50 or more.

ESPN - NFL Football Statistics and League Leaders - National Football League

Drafting a kicker is like going to a driving range with a $400 driver in your bag but practicing putting instead. That 300 yard drive sure is pretty but it doesn't do a damn bit a good if you can't make the putt.

Same goes for the 60 plays versus 6 plays. You have 11 guys putting their heart into 60 plays in a game. That is 660 plays all for nothing each time a kicker misses a FG.

The reward of a 6th round pick on a kicker is far greater than the odds of striking it rich with a 6th round pick at another position.

NFL Football Player Rankings - CBSSports.com

only 4 of these top 10 kickers were drafted. One in the 3rd, one in the 4th, and two in the 7th. Didn't feel like looking up all listed. Mare is not listed because lack of attempts, I believe.

To go along with this post looking at the bottom 10 from the link, only 4 of these were drafted. So from this little group of kickers, I see no correlation between drafting a kicker and success rate.

Thats a really poor example though, you'd have to look at all time, or at least the last decades ratings.

What about Morten Andersen for example.. drafted in round 4. We would have been set for 3 decades if we kept him.
Jason Elam, round 3.
Gary Anderson, round 7.
Jan Stenerud, round 3.

Adam Vinatieri is the notable exception.

Last edited:
.....and Vinatieri was replaced by a drafted kicker (Gostkowski), who is better than he was but doesn't show up as high in the rankings posted because he hardly ever has to kick. Gostkowski is also way up there in touchbacks.

I agree with rat - Morten was one of the very best 4th round picks we ever made.
As for the original question, I think there's a chance between two and four kickers could get drafted.

Taylor Mehlhaff is probably the highest rated prospect. He had an exceptional final year at college and has the foot strength to appeal. He was 5 of 7 above 40 yards last year, including one over 50. He's also capable of kicking outdoors in any weather so might go earlier than the 6-7 rd estimate placed on him by most pundits since there will be more competition to get him. He also had 123 career touchbacks from 287 kickoffs. he is probably the best fit for the Saints.

Next up is Art Carmody who made 67-79 college FGs and is seen as a guy who can make the pressure kicks. The stats suggest he can handle kicks over 40 yards but for some reason isn't used for kickoffs (anyone know why?). The real knock on him is that he seemed to peak in 2006 and his stats tailed off in 2007, so he maybe on the fall. Someone will probably take a gamble on him in rd 7 though.

Alexis Serna has a strong leg (He has connected from 58 yards) but he's badly on the downslide. Was great in 2005, has tailed off since then. Recent form is horrible, missing five of his last seven kicks. leg strength might be ok for field goal but he doesn't get decent distance on kickoffs. I doubt he'll get drafted, but you never know.

Brandon Coutu is my pick for the best value since he may slip through the draft and be available as a FA. He has good accuracy - 51-64 FGs over career, and leg strength isn't bad either with a long gain of 58. BUT, he has suffered with hamstring injuries and was not allowed to take kickoffs to preserve his leg. If he's fully fit he'd be worth a 7th rounder.

I sure wish we had drafted Mason Crosby that GB got in the 6th. He is a alot better then the K that cost us a 6th last season.

The reason so few kickers get drafted is because you are now down to seven rounds in the draft, as opposed to 12, 15 or 17 as there were years ago.

Steve Weatherford has been a pretty solid punter for us and he went undrafted.

And while some kickers drafted go on to have a soild career, the NFL landscape is littered with drafted ones who were duds (see Kansas City).

But if someone is interested in a potential UDFA kicker who the Saints should look at:

Shane Longest of Saint Xavier (5' 10", 172lbs.) -from The Sporting News Draft Guide

Strengths: Shows big time leg strength to really smash the ball. On field goal attempts, the ball explodes off his foot and gets high quickly. Makes clutch kicks. Consistently drives kickoffs into the end zone and could become a real force in the battle to win field position.

Weaknesses: Must speed up his field goal footwork. It wasn't a problem at Saint Xavier, but NFL athletes would likely block his kicks.

Bottom line: Longest is the best small-school kicking prospect and has the leg strength and explosiveness to become a quality NFL field goal kicker and a big time weapon on kickoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom