Any kickers worth drafting this year? (1 Viewer)

Taylor Mehlhaff

I agree with rat - Morten was one of the very best 4th round picks we ever made.
As for the original question, I think there's a chance between two and four kickers could get drafted.

Taylor Mehlhaff is probably the highest rated prospect. He had an exceptional final year at college and has the foot strength to appeal. He was 5 of 7 above 40 yards last year, including one over 50. He's also capable of kicking outdoors in any weather so might go earlier than the 6-7 rd estimate placed on him by most pundits since there will be more competition to get him. He also had 123 career touchbacks from 287 kickoffs. he is probably the best fit for the Saints.

Next up is Art Carmody who made 67-79 college FGs and is seen as a guy who can make the pressure kicks. The stats suggest he can handle kicks over 40 yards but for some reason isn't used for kickoffs (anyone know why?). The real knock on him is that he seemed to peak in 2006 and his stats tailed off in 2007, so he maybe on the fall. Someone will probably take a gamble on him in rd 7 though.

Alexis Serna has a strong leg (He has connected from 58 yards) but he's badly on the downslide. Was great in 2005, has tailed off since then. Recent form is horrible, missing five of his last seven kicks. leg strength might be ok for field goal but he doesn't get decent distance on kickoffs. I doubt he'll get drafted, but you never know.

Brandon Coutu is my pick for the best value since he may slip through the draft and be available as a FA. He has good accuracy - 51-64 FGs over career, and leg strength isn't bad either with a long gain of 58. BUT, he has suffered with hamstring injuries and was not allowed to take kickoffs to preserve his leg. If he's fully fit he'd be worth a 7th rounder.

The Saints are interested in Taylor Mehlhaff; it might have something to do with the fact that he can consistently send kickoffs through the uprights! He is predicted to go in the 7th round.

I don't have trouble drafting a kicker if he is a quality player and is better then the one you have. Locking a good kicker is great value for many years to come.

Now after saying that, I think last year was the one to draft a kicker, I think the talent was better. I am not sure this year is worthy to draft one, and I am not happy with starting the season with Gramatica as our kicker.

Looking back at the last 5 yrs worth of Pro Bowl kickers, 7 out of 10 were UDFA.

if Art Carmody is still there in the 4th we should take him, best most clutch kicker in the draft, he is also from louisiana. (Shreveport)

Drafting a kicker is like going to a driving range with a $400 driver in your bag but practicing putting instead. That 300 yard drive sure is pretty but it doesn't do a damn bit a good if you can't make the putt.

Same goes for the 60 plays versus 6 plays. You have 11 guys putting their heart into 60 plays in a game. That is 660 plays all for nothing each time a kicker misses a FG.

The reward of a 6th round pick on a kicker is far greater than the odds of striking it rich with a 6th round pick at another position.

I agree. I think it was Bill Simmons who wrote that the scariest positions to be weak at in sports are Kicker, Closer for baseball, and the keeper for soccer/hockey. Your always going to have that sinking feeling about the end of a game with a shaky kicker.

That punter out of GT might be worth a look as a UFA

Is drafting a kicker a good idea? Well if the Pats and San Deigo, two of the best run teams in the NFL, think it is...then yeah, its a good idea if you have the right prospect lined up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom