Any kickers worth drafting this year? (1 Viewer)

ratfusion

optimist-someone has to
Reaction score
Seems like a clear need to me, and the most likely way our 7th rounder will be a starter. I could be missing something though, I do realize most kickers don't get drafted.

I have never understood the lack of respect for the PK position. Other than the QB or RB what position is going to win or lose three or four games for you a year by individual performance. I'm not saying draft one in the first round but if an excellent kicker is available in a round where the value adds up then take him. After all the leading scorer in the league is a PK every year. What's more valuable a fourth string OL or a PK who kicks the 56 yarder to beat the Bucs and win the division?

Last edited:
I have never had understood the lack of respect for the PK position. Other than the QB or RB what position is going to win or lose three or four games for you a year by individual performance. I'm not saying draft one in the first round but if an excellent kicker is available in a round where the value adds up then take him. After all the leading scorer in the league is a PK every year. What's more valuable a fourth string OL or a PK who kicks the 56 yarder to beat the Bucs and win the division?

Thats my line of thinking. I'd rather "waste" a pick on kicker and get the best of the crop. I want a kid that'll come kick for us on game one and stay 10 years. I'd rather have the sure thing, than worry about grammatica.

I have never had understood the lack of respect for the PK position. Other than the QB or RB what position is going to win or lose three or four games for you a year by individual performance. I'm not saying draft one in the first round but if an excellent kicker is available in a round where the value adds up then take him. After all the leading scorer in the league is a PK every year. What's more valuable a fourth string OL or a PK who kicks the 56 yarder to be the Bucs and seal the division?

Well, the reason I wouldn't draft a placekicker is because there is only 32 jobs in the NFL. And there are more than 32 kickers that can kick a football through the uprights within 40 yds 85% of the time. So there are always kickers available.

There are indeed always kickers available who can kick FG's within 40 yds 85% of the time. But the fact is that nobody in this GREAT forum would be the least bit happy with 85% from 40 yds in. Like it or not a great little guy that can hit from 50+ 60% of the time and 50 and under 90 to 95% of the time is as valuable as anybody but a QB or RB.

Late in the draft I would prefer we take a shot at a kicker, I feel like its a better gamble than most of the other positions because you can still take a top kicker where as any other position is a guy you really dont know. Im not saying that right but I hope Im getting the point across. I dont really feel like Gramatica is the answer, maybe he can make the kicks but his kickoff skills are definitely lacking

Besides we are talking about a 5, 6, or 7th round pick. The occasional Colston aside these picks usually are not on the team in three or four years.

every year there are kickers "worth" getting drafted before : lets say , the 40th Linebacker or 50th WR .... and there will be one or two getting drafted , but i cant remember we ever had a big history of drafting kickers or punters . as a fan i would completely dislike the gamble the packers made 3-4 years ago for example ,they tradet up to pick a punter in round 4 who dont even start any more.( getting beat out by an UFA a season later , after doing really bad one year )

Late in the draft I would prefer we take a shot at a kicker, I feel like its a better gamble than most of the other positions because you can still take a top kicker where as any other position is a guy you really dont know. Im not saying that right but I hope Im getting the point across. I dont really feel like Gramatica is the answer, maybe he can make the kicks but his kickoff skills are definitely lacking

but since there is only one rosterplace for a kicker ( or should be ) its double hard when he gets beat out by an undraftet rookie . in this round we maybe had the chance for a good backup TE or LB ( to name something ) to develop. the kicker, after getting beat out , normally gets cut.

And there are more than 32 kickers that can kick a football through the uprights within 40 yds 85% of the time. So there are always kickers available.

Link? :ezbill:

In all seriousness, though...there are 32 teams and about half of them lose games because they have a bad kicker. There is a HUGE difference between the top 10 kickers in the league and the bottome 10. Let's not be on the bottom 10 anymore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom