Any love for a Casey Hampton Signing? (1 Viewer)

cajungiant40

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I know he's 35. But he's still one of the best interior stuffers available and would most likely come at the veteran minimum to play our NT spot. Thoughts?

Hey just need a plugger in there. Bunk isn't going to clog up too much at barely over 300

Shaking my head vigorously.......

Im still trying to figure out why people are trying to plug 2gap NT's into the 1Gap scheme we will be running.

We are basically running a 4-3 under with the ROLB being the Hybrid DE

Meaning the same two guys that played NT Bunkley/Hicks will probably play NT in this scheme

No reason to sign a NT

And once again....SP in th elast interview he did said our Needs heading into the draft were OLB/DE/TE.......obviously Corner was 1 so we addressed that during FA. Wouldn't surprise me if we grabbed another OLB and our top pick was a LT or DE and we find an OLB and TE in the 3rd-6th.

Of course i could be wrong and we just might sign a NT...tihs is all my opinion but its entrenched with logic/what ive read. And the saints were said to feel as though they had their two NT candidates in house.

they can only be talking about Bunk/Hicks.

Shaking my head vigorously.......

Im still trying to figure out why people are trying to plug 2gap NT's into the 1Gap scheme we will be running.

We are basically running a 4-3 under with the ROLB being the Hybrid DE

Meaning the same two guys that played NT Bunkley/Hicks will probably play NT in this scheme

No reason to sign a NT

And once again....SP in th elast interview he did said our Needs heading into the draft were OLB/DE/TE.......obviously Corner was 1 so we addressed that during FA. Wouldn't surprise me if we grabbed another OLB and our top pick was a LT or DE and we find an OLB and TE in the 3rd-6th.

Of course i could be wrong and we just might sign a NT...tihs is all my opinion but its entrenched with logic/what ive read. And the saints were said to feel as though they had their two NT candidates in house.

they can only be talking about Bunk/Hicks.

For the most part I agree but I see Hicks playing the 3 or 4 technique and being on the field with Brinkley.

For the most part I agree but I see Hicks playing the 3 or 4 technique and being on the field with Brinkley.

All im saying is go and look@ Georgia Bulldogs who run a 3-4 1gap with some 2gapping@ times

Those guys are about 10-15lbs heavier than hicks.

Hicks is THE PROTOTYPE 3-4 UNDER 1 GAP NT.

Think about it.....he can two gap when he wants but hes a better athlete than most 2 gap NT's like Hampton.

Same debate i had with Cali..but the Triangle of your defense is really important. The two MLB's and the NT.

Well id rather Vilma/Lofton/Bunkley or Vilma/Lofton/Hicks anyday over hicks being@ RDE in a 1gap. ITs just me.....if we were moving to a Baltimore style Defense then yes id be all over it

but HIcks is the perfect 1gap NT and even if he only backs up Bunk hes capable of playing anywhere on the line. No one is guaranteed to Stay healthy all season so u just may see him@ RDE or LDE in some games or 3tech or wherever everyone sees his best fit being.

Me i see a 1 gap NT that can play 3tech/1tech/5tech in nickel/base@ any time in any game...but i see a backup to bunkley first becasue the second NT is just as important as the starter

Kwame Geathers/Jon Jenkins had similar stats

both had 40+ tackloes, Geathers had 5 sacks to Jenkins 1 but Jenkins had more TFL i think. Basically they had nearly 80 tackles between them. Thats showing how important that rotaton is.

and no....... i didn't red thumb u :D...i never thumb debates.

All im saying is go and look@ Georgia Bulldogs who run a 3-4 1gap with some 2gapping@ times

Those guys are about 10-15lbs heavier than hicks.

Hicks is THE PROTOTYPE 3-4 UNDER 1 GAP NT.

Think about it.....he can two gap when he wants but hes a better athlete than most 2 gap NT's like Hampton.

Same debate i had with Cali..but the Triangle of your defense is really important. The two MLB's and the NT.

Well id rather Vilma/Lofton/Bunkley or Vilma/Lofton/Hicks anyday over hicks being@ RDE in a 1gap. ITs just me.....if we were moving to a Baltimore style Defense then yes id be all over it

but HIcks is the perfect 1gap NT and even if he only backs up Bunk hes capable of playing anywhere on the line. No one is guaranteed to Stay healthy all season so u just may see him@ RDE or LDE in some games or 3tech or wherever everyone sees his best fit being.

Me i see a 1 gap NT that can play 3tech/1tech/5tech in nickel/base@ any time in any game...but i see a backup to bunkley first becasue the second NT is just as important as the starter

Kwame Geathers/Jon Jenkins had similar stats

both had 40+ tackloes, Geathers had 5 sacks to Jenkins 1 but Jenkins had more TFL i think. Basically they had nearly 80 tackles between them. Thats showing how important that rotaton is.

and no....... i didn't red thumb u :D...i never thumb debates.

I appreciate the feedback. I like some of the ideas, but I feel like we need to get bigger up front. Jordan and hicks, in my eyes at least, will fit well at the end spots. Bunkley has been a hot topic of debate since the hiring of Ryan, so we'll see what he has in store for him. I brought up Hampton as an option, but I think we could find a big man in the later part of the draft.

These two things: they do not go together.

It actually does. He's 35 and NT aren't a high priced position. If you look at the True NT available you'll see what I mean. According to ESPN, there are only 4? It's either 4 or 5 I can't remember. Anyway, he's too old and in an undervalued position to demand much more than the minimum.

It's hard for me to say no to a proven commodity like Casey Hampton. Like most of us I have high hopes for Hicks but the truth is none of us know how he'll fit in a 3-4. I just can't say pass on one of the best NTs in the league because Hicks or Bunkley might be the answer.

It's just funny to me how these "should we sign this guy" threads come up and people say no we already have the guys we need. IMHO we need help and I'm not going to turn my nose up to anything at this point.

It's hard for me to say no to a proven commodity like Casey Hampton. Like most of us I have high hopes for Hicks but the truth is none of us know how he'll fit in a 3-4. I just can't say pass on one of the best NTs in the league because Hicks or Bunkley might be the answer.

It's just funny to me how these "should we sign this guy" threads come up and people say no we already have the guys we need. IMHO we need help and I'm not going to turn my nose up to anything at this point.

Agreed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom