• Expiration date

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Smells bad

Votes: 32 69.6%

• Total voters

Saintlady

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you throw the milk out on the expiration date on the carton/jug or do you wait until it smells bad?

I found it interesting in a recent discussion how many of the women(me included) said they throw it out by the expiration date even if it still smells okay; while the men said "naw, you can keep it till it smells bad."
:dunno:

I'm wondering the same thing about eggs, mayonnaise, etc.
Do you have to throw them out by the expiration date?

I keep my fridge really cold & if it is a day or 2 past the date I don't think twice about it.

If it makes it that long, until the smell is so vile that you can no longer stand it. Even with half a bottle of chocolate syrup mixed in.

When my kids pukes from it.

The last time I was out of town and returned home(my kids stayed at home with dad), the milk was 2 days past the expiration date AND it was just starting to smell sour(gross).

I noticed it right away, and asked my kid had he had any milk that day, he said yes. He was okay, thank goodness.

It just really grosses me out when it even starts to smell bad.

Of course his dad probably wouldn't have noticed for a few more days, men......:jpshakehead:

I drink enough milk that 99.5% of the time I am done 3 days before the expiration date (and mostly a week before)... On the rare occasions when I reach the expiration date (e.g. after a 5 day trip)I throw it out the day it expires.

Smelling or tasting bad milk is not worth the $3.50 I could pay for a new gallon.

I have two kids, both of whom would forget their heads if they weren't attached. Milk here never makes it to the expiration date. It's either gone or become cottage cheese.

i am real picky about milk.....i won't drink it unless it's fresh.....as in a few days fresh......but i usually throw it out at the expiration date.....my son often finishes it before then...

Women (and Dre :hihi: )

I wait til it starts to smell bad. Not disgustingly sour, just a hint.
The date really is more of a guaranteed freshness date instead of a expiration date.

(Mod Edit-:nono: you know better!)

Last edited by a moderator:
As sadistic and twisted as I am, I reach for a past that may not be repeated.

As a kid, my dad would take me to a farm outside Big Branch and get fresh milk. I would down one quart before we got back to Mandeville. Having fresh unadulterated fatness was the shnizzle and I wish I understood it then.

Therefor, a good milk a bit past it's freshness date actually seems to me more in it's unadulterated state and I love it that. Cream RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Modern milk is the worst excuse for milk.

When the date gets close, i.e.within a day +/- of the date stamped, I err on the side of caution and pour a glass and then take a whiff. Taking a whiff of the milk while it it is in its container can be misleading. OTOH, I have dumped half a jug down the drain 3 days before the stamped date because it didnt taste right or smell right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom