Any news or updates on contract extension? (1 Viewer)

JPSaints87

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Any idea about what's going up on, regarding the contract extension for Lattimore, Ramczyk & Marcus Williams? As of right now, we have approximately less than $1M in cap space and we need to sign our draft picks and POSSIBLY a few veteran free agents. I really hope that with those 3 extensions, will potentially give us at least $10M+ of cap space to play with.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any info. Maybe they are waiting on a Rodgers deal to get done or some other trade to take place. Maybe they are waiting on Lattimores legal stuff to get finalized. Hopefully they are in the same ballpark money wise with the players.

Of all of them, the Ram deal SHOULD be the easiest. When it’s done, he’ll be the highest-paid RT in the league. He knows it. The team knows it. So they should know the rough dollar amount and structure. The tougher ones will be Williams and Lattimore. Do they get top 10 money? Top 5? Are they angling for #1?

Personally I think if Landon pans out one of our tackles won't be back. Likely Terron.

We are thin at corner already and Marshon is really good so I hope we extend him. I think he will learn from his recent troubles.

I'm surprised we haven't extended Marcus yet and that it seems like he will play under the tag.

AT LEAST one of the big three extensions need to get done soon! ...otherwise the Saints are too strapped against the cap, and we are only going to see practice squad journeyman like Huggy Bear and Easop’s Fables getting added.

The plan is to save the extension till next year, because we'll really need the cap saving next year badly. If try to do them this year. We will be forced to do a rebuild.

The Lattimore deal is likely on hold until his legal issues and league punishment becomes known. The Ramcyck deal surprises me that it hasn't been done yet but he might have an agent that is playing hardball, Williams is likely another with an agent that wants to be difficult and I believe they only have until June 1st to get something done because of the franchise tag to lower the cap hit (after June 1, he is locked into a guaranteed salary for 2021 and a signi9ng bonus if they later agree on a contract.)

I'm starting to wonder if they aren't planning for an uncertain year in 2022. We haven't extended any player I can think of. We only restructured guys already under contract or made cuts. We have quite a few significant contract decisions that are being pushed to next year.

Winston
Hill
Armstead
Ramczyk
TQS
Harris
M.Williams
Lattimore

You also have contract years for:

Onyemata
Davenport
CGJ
McCoy

I think they may just wait to see how this year plays out. I'm guessing QB may be a big part of it. Allow themselves room to make a big move.

Or they might extend them tomorrow and sign a CB. Who knows.

Just so far I'm getting the feeling they want to see how 2021 goes first. If they don't have a viable QB again in 2022 it might be a few years before they get back on track and all this talent is wasted. I know Payton thinks in the terms of 3-4 year stints. If you go that long without success people are going to start getting fired.

So if they buy into everyone now and QB isn't good enough and they can't make room for a legit move again in 2022 you start getting very desperate by 2023.

Just spitballing

I'm starting to wonder if they aren't planning for an uncertain year in 2022. We haven't extended any player I can think of. We only restructured guys already under contract or made cuts. We have quite a few significant contract decisions that are being pushed to next year.

Winston
Hill
Armstead
Ramczyk
TQS
Harris
M.Williams
Lattimore

You also have contract years for:

Onyemata
Davenport
CGJ
McCoy

I think they may just wait to see how this year plays out. I'm guessing QB may be a big part of it. Allow themselves room to make a big move.

Or they might extend them tomorrow and sign a CB. Who knows.

Just so far I'm getting the feeling they want to see how 2021 goes first. If they don't have a viable QB again in 2022 it might be a few years before they get back on track and all this talent is wasted. I know Payton thinks in the terms of 3-4 year stints. If you go that long without success people are going to start getting fired.

So if they buy into everyone now and QB isn't good enough and they can't make room for a legit move again in 2022 you start getting very desperate by 2023.

Just spitballing
Probably something to do with having $200 million cap holds with only 34 players on the roster in 2022.

Creating cap space for this year actually is the worst move we can make...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom