Any other health care workers on this site? (1 Viewer)

So far, my staff has been affected more by seasonal flu than COVID-19, with every person missing time. For comparison's sake here are the figures for seasonal flu from the CDC as of today. Bear in mind this is for the US only:

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 38 million flu illnesses, 390,000 hospitalizations and 23,000 deaths from flu.

I was thinking about this and I think for some reason people testing positive for flu are not being tested for covid. I am not sure about it but it seems like people are assuming that having the flu somehow prevents them from also having covid at the same time. My point is that if this ends up looking like an extremely bad "flu" season and especially earlier in the year, how many of the people that have died of pneumonia related to the flu also had covid as well?

Basically, are we sure all of those 23,000 flu deaths this year were only the flu and not also a covid infection at the same time?

Respiratory therapist mostly in the ER in a major hospital in the capital region of LA. At least here, a positive flu swab is rule out criteria for a covid-19 test.

I was thinking about this and I think for some reason people testing positive for flu are not being tested for covid. I am not sure about it but it seems like people are assuming that having the flu somehow prevents them from also having covid at the same time. My point is that if this ends up looking like an extremely bad "flu" season and especially earlier in the year, how many of the people that have died of pneumonia related to the flu also had covid as well?

Basically, are we sure all of those 23,000 flu deaths this year were only the flu and not also a covid infection at the same time?
Seasonal flu still takes a horrible toll in the US alone. In 2018 there were 45,000,00 infections and approximately 61,000 deaths per CDC figures

Respiratory therapist mostly in the ER in a major hospital in the capital region of LA. At least here, a positive flu swab is rule out criteria for a covid-19 test.
You're on the front line, please stay safe and be well!

Seasonal flu still takes a horrible toll in the US alone. In 2018 there were 45,000,00 infections and approximately 61,000 deaths per CDC figures

I get that. But most of what I've heard was that if you test positive for flu it appears to be assumed you do not have covid. I could be wrong here. Other than the few people I know that were tested. The protocol that was being used as of last week was a flu test first. If negative then a battery of other tests. If all negative then the covid test. This is for those that have no travel history of any contact with travelers.

Is appears that there is assumption that if it's something else it isnt covid. I think that's a pretty dangerous assumption if true.

I get that. But most of what I've heard was that if you test positive for flu it appears to be assumed you do not have covid. I could be wrong here. Other than the few people I know that were tested. The protocol that was being used as of last week was a flu test first. If negative then a battery of other tests. If all negative then the covid test. This is for those that have no travel history of any contact with travelers.

Is appears that there is assumption that if it's something else it isnt covid. I think that's a pretty dangerous assumption if true.
Yeah I’m not sure what the overlap is on seasonal flu vs COVID-19. I don’t think that having the flu precludes getting COVID.

I no longer work there, but I have heard secondhand stories from reliable sources of nurses in New Orleans becoming overwhelmed and just putting their badges on the counter and walking out on the job.

We have to do better, from healthcare administration to government, to give frontline workers the proper PPE needed to do their jobs.

I no longer work there, but I have heard secondhand stories from reliable sources of nurses in New Orleans becoming overwhelmed and just putting their badges on the counter and walking out on the job.

We have to do better, from healthcare administration to government, to give frontline workers the proper PPE needed to do their jobs.

I told my niece to consider quitting after the clinic she works for told them they were ordering PPE for everyone except masks. They actually told them masks do not work. We are going to be in a world of hurt when half the healthcare workers walk out.

I told my niece to consider quitting after the clinic she works for told them they were ordering PPE for everyone except masks. They actually told them masks do not work. We are going to be in a world of hurt when half the healthcare workers walk out.

I don't know where the idea masks don't work started, but whoever started it didn't stop to think that might be an incorrect assumption. They don't work if people either don't wear them correctly, or contaminate the masks by sticking their fingers in there or contaminate them before putting them on.

If a good mask is properly worn and proper avoidance is practiced, the masks will do their job. There is no reason for any hospital or doctors office to not have masks available for their employees.

My wife told me she has PTSD with all of this coverage and waiting for the shoe to drop - Pre Traumatic Stress Disorder. The PPE protocols for her hospital are concerning in the work up to them getting cases. She has been having crazy dreams and such.

Yeah, I am concerned too. Wife and I are both in early 60's. She is a breast cancer survivor, a year cancer free. She is also a Labor and Delivery RN and going back to work next week. I am retired, but have high blood pressure and RA.

I'm a healthcare worker and I strongly suggest not wearing scrubs out in the community. Two reasons: 1) if you are coming from work in scrubs you wore to work, you are creating another avenue of infecting people, and 2) even if you didn't wear the scrubs to work, some will NOT be appreciative that you are wearing medical attire out into the community...and there have been reports of assaults or near assaults taking place.

I'm a healthcare worker and I strongly suggest not wearing scrubs out in the community. Two reasons: 1) if you are coming from work in scrubs you wore to work, you are creating another avenue of infecting people, and 2) even if you didn't wear the scrubs to work, some will NOT be appreciative that you are wearing medical attire out into the community...and there have been reports of assaults or near assaults taking place.

Why the hell would anyone assault a healthcare worker? That makes no sense. I mean, if they're not appreciative, then they must know they could get infected during an assault. At least that would seem to be the line of thinking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom