Any thoughts on the activation of QB Sean Canfield? (1 Viewer)

max

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
LB Stanley Arnoux placed on IR for achilles.
QB Sean Canfield activated from practice squad to take Arnoux's place on the 53 man roster.

Long snapper Jake Ingram cut.
LS Justin Drescher replaces Ingram on the 53 man roster.

RB Chris Taylor takes Canfield's place on the practice squad.

I am wondering what the the thinking is from Payton on activating Canfield. He has said in the past how it makes things tougher to have 3 quarterbacks on the active roster, and he usually has not done it. I'm sure there is a reason Canfield was added. I am just wondering what it is. Perhaps another team was thinking about activating him off of our practice squad. With Pierre and Betts out and Bush questionable, I'm kind of surprised they didn't add a RB like Herb or Minor or some other for this week, in case Bush can't go. It would be tough to go into the game with only two running backs if Bush can't go. I wonder if they brought Chris Taylor to Dallas and will activate him if Bush can't go.

Anywho, for a guy who has been cut from the practice squad more than once this season, I think, in Canfield, it is interesting that they decided to add him to the active roster now. If nothing else, it must mean that he is progressing nicely over the last few months.

Anyone have any more info on the situation?

It's probably just the case of the Saints not wanting to go through the expense of bringing someone in on a very short week so they activate someone who they can get on the gameday roster without taking up a spot (emergency QB is exempt) and they know will pass through waivers. It also gives the kid a little bonus $$$$ wise.

His special teams tackling has been amazing.

Doubt he will be on the game day roster....I just think it was to prevent losing him in light of all the qb injuries around the league.

Wonder if he will share holding duty with CD?
nope b/c he'll be the inactive 3rd QB... though he'll still be in uniform on the sidelines. If he comes in the game... someone is automatically forbidden from coming back into the game... and that would generally be a QB since Canfield is a QB. If Canfield comes into the game... it only means something horrible has happened to both Drew and Chase (a la the Dolphins a couple weeks ago when they lost Henne and Pennington in the same game). I'm perfectly fine seeing Canfield on the sideline the whole game holding his helmet to his ear to hear the plays getting called into Drew.

Doubt he will be on the game day roster....I just think it was to prevent losing him in light of all the qb injuries around the league.

Possibly this. The thought also crosses my mind that SP, a former QB himself, just likes to throw these young QB's a bone. I imagine he will be back on the PS when the need for a roster spot arises.

Just giving the kid a reward for what he's done so far.
With all the injuried players returning we have an extra spot
And he gets a game check

I think that Canfield has plenty of upside, he is very accurate with decent arm strength, he is bright and also 6'4 so he's more of the prototypical QB in todays game.

A little known QB named Brady was drafted in the 6th round, he turned out to be a pretty good QB.

I think they did it to keep him away from the Panthers. They wanted to keep Fox away from the Canfield.

I think they did it to keep him away from the Panthers. They wanted to keep Fox away from the Canfield.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Canfield as the number 2 next season, depending on training camp of course.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom