Any underwater welders in here? (1 Viewer)

NCSaint

My son is considering this as an occupation. I like the idea - just wondering if anyone can give any real advice on pros/cons? He is a rising Sr. in Highschool.

Thanks,

NCSaint

so he wants to do diving? Hell he will make a lot of money but doing it hurts your body. I was a project manager for a diving company in houma, I can help u with it.

Hey I really appreciate the quick feedback. I will PM you.

A friend of mine did that for about 10 years in the Cayman Islands. He loved it and made a small fortune.
He lived a great life at the time. I should have done that.

I have a friend who is a underwater commercial diver. He received all his training from the Navy and then spent 15 years working offshore. Now he strictly works inshore because there are women around; he is one crazy guy. Lots of money to be made.

Well, it is an inherently dangerous occupation but there's lots of money to be made. One could argue that the need for underwater welders will diminish as drilling goes farther into the deepwater but I don't know if that's true. There will still be a lot of decommissioning work coming up and there might be a lot more shelf production if they lift the drilling moratorium.

I would not want my son to do it just because it necessarily is in very hazardous conditions. Three things would be an absolute must -- first, working for a top notch company that is committed to safety and is very meticulous about their equipment. And, second, your son personally needs to be a very meticulous person who isn't prone to taking shortcuts. And, finally, your son needs to have a personality where he is comfortable telling someone, "no, I'm not doing that under these conditions".

If any of the above three are missing, it'll be like playing Russian roulette.

one of my customers is an underwater welder. hes a pretty wild guy, but takes the job very seriously. hes always showing me his diving "hats" and other equipment. they are ridiculously heavy, and one of his is solid silver, i think.

id imagine the pay is really high, since one "hat" can cost 10 grand.

I also know someone who does underwater welding.
Along the same lines as what HoustonSaint68 said, it really does take a unique personality.

On one hand, the person is probably a risk-taker if they are seriously interested in a job that carries such high inherent risk. But on the other hand, the person has to be extremely cautious or they will be putting themselves into some very dangerous situations.

An extremely cautious risk-taker sounds like a oxymoron, but that's the personality a guy needs to do a job like that.

Why anyone wants to look at the blue light all day long is beyond me.

Much better to inspect the weld after it is made than to make it.

Incredible feedback guys. I really appreciate it from all of you. He is still young so time will tell if this is truly what he wants to do. The risks are abit concerning for me too but he hasn't taken my advice to be a doctor or a lawer...so learning a solid trade he can count on such as this seems like a great idea to me.

Incredible feedback guys. I really appreciate it from all of you. He is still young so time will tell if this is truly what he wants to do. The risks are abit concerning for me too but he hasn't taken my advice to be a doctor or a lawer...so learning a solid trade he can count on such as this seems like a great idea to me.
'
If he is not going to college and is hellbent on a trade, welding is a pretty solid trade. There will always be a need for welders and fitters.

Let me suggest he look into inspection though. He will start around 15.00/hr as a helper and within a year be over 20.00/hr if he shows promise as a technician. From there he can learn to be American Petroleum Institute (API) certified as an inspector, be a certified welding inspector through American Welding Society (CWI) or go into coating inspection through the National Association of Coating Engineers (NACE).
API inspectors make around 35-60/hr depending on a number of factors. CWI's make about 25-40.00/hr and NACE inspectors make about 30.00/hr.

He doesn't have to work in plants either should he not want to, he can do pipeline, structural or coating inspections. Main drawback is travel though and some safety concerns if he is in the plants regularly.

API and AWS have websites and there are Non-destructive Examination (NDE/NDT) programs you can look into as well

I would still say go to college.

Never the less, good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom