Any update on Voice of the Saints (1 Viewer)

Figured Hoss would get the job, he's been with WWL for a long time and seems to be a favorite.
Wait. When did he start working for WWL radio? I missed that. He retired from the TV station (completely different companies) years ago.

Wait. When did he start working for WWL radio? I missed that. He retired from the TV station (completely different companies) years ago.
I don't believe he was on radio but I see that he's now the communications coordinator for ASM global.

I think keeping Deuce onboard will be the key to a smooth transition. I really had no idea how he would do in the booth considering he was more of a leader-by-example type rather than a locker-room spokesman. I think he's just gotten better over the years and I think he offers just enough Xs and Os analysis along with enough homerism commentary that makes local-radio broadcasts unique. He's also shown he can work with anybody, having transitioned from the icon Henderson to Strief being new to the job. I liked Strief okay, but he had some rough spots before settling into doing a solid job.

I think whomever they hire should have some sort of rapport and work well with Deuce.

I think keeping Deuce onboard will be the key to a smooth transition. I really had no idea how he would do in the booth considering he was more of a leader-by-example type rather than a locker-room spokesman. I think he's just gotten better over the years and I think he offers just enough Xs and Os analysis along with enough homerism commentary that makes local-radio broadcasts unique. He's also shown he can work with anybody, having transitioned from the icon Henderson to Strief being new to the job. I liked Strief okay, but he had some rough spots before settling into doing a solid job.

I think whomever they hire should have some sort of rapport and work well with Deuce.
Let me start with this: Deuce McAllister is literally my all-time favorite Saint. His signed jersey is on my wall, along with a photo of me and him right after he signed it. That is also the ONLY jersey on my wall. I love Deuce.
While I agree he's gotten better in the booth (as all commentators do), and he's actually a pretty good color guy, there is one thing that once you notice it, it's hard not to un-hear. And that is, he repeats himself constantly. If you took out all the repeat sentences from one of his broadcasts, he'd have about 2 minutes of talk left, LOL.

Example:
Deuce: "Zach, that ball's coming out. You can see after he got hit, the ball's coming out. I saw once he kind of spun around, that ball was coming out. You can see Coach Payton wants to challenge this because the ball's coming out."
Zach: "Yeah, with another view, it does appear to be a fumble..."
Deuce: "Yeah, it's coming out. The ball's definitely coming out."

:LOL: Still gotta love him though.

I was "Voice of the Wildcats" (Meridian high school - MS) in the stadium for 15 years but that is totally different than radio. Still, I was in the same press box as the radio guys and knew the difficulties they sometimes faced during a broadcast. I will be good with whomever they choose to do the play by play but I truly hope they keep Deuce as the color guy.

Mike Hoss. Announcement soon.

Detiller was asked this a few days ago on "After Further Review". He did mention Mike Hoss, but also said that the names interested in this job would surprise all of us. Said there are some very very BIG names in the mix.

Said he's been asked about him and Bobby doing it.. He said, "I think NO!!!" Said it would be late 3rd quarter and him and the Cannon would still be talking about a play from before halftime. lol

Detiller was asked this a few days ago on "After Further Review". He did mention Mike Hoss, but also said that the names interested in this job would surprise all of us. Said there are some very very BIG names in the mix.

Said he's been asked about him and Bobby doing it.. He said, "I think NO!!!" Said it would be late 3rd quarter and him and the Cannon would still be talking about a play from before halftime. lol
I heard this Detillier interview as well, and if I remember correctly he mentioned that the Saints had been contacted by some recognizable national names about the position. As he said, if you want a job as an NFL play-by-play radio announcer "there's only 32 around".

But Mike Hoss is going to beat out all of the big names. There is no competition. We knew it was Zach last time. We know itā€™s Hoss this time. Itā€™s not about finding the best pbp announcer.
Itā€™s about who will take the lowest salary.

Not surprised that some big names have shown an interest. But they probably want more than WWL is willing to pay. No inside information at all. But Hoss is technically capable, has local name recognition and a connection to the organization, and will not command the dollars other would want.

I heard this Detillier interview as well, and if I remember correctly he mentioned that the Saints had been contacted by some recognizable national names about the position. As he said, if you want a job as an NFL play-by-play radio announcer "there's only 32 around".
My concerns with big names? They're only here until the next big thing comes up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom