Saints Anybody else still in a funk? ) (1 Viewer)

Nope!!!! More important things in life my friend. It sucked to lose but I was done the next day. Life continues
I'm with you, but it took a couple devistating losses in th elast couple playoffs for me to not care that much anymore. Life is about perspective. My life does not change in any way, shape, or form if we win or lose, so I let myself get excited for the wins but don't let myself get destroyed anymore if we lose.

Still in a funk. Let me be clear, I was not and am not surprised because this is what the Saints do, deliver heartbreak with machine-like regularity. But I am still disgusted. Brees should easily have 2-4 more SB's, and the fact that he doesn't is really a travesty. Seriously. We have had way too much talent for the final outcome. SMH.

You can't be a really big fan of a team and invest this much emotion and NOT feel the sting of a loss like this, 4th straight year losing to an inferior team, 3 at home. SMH.
THIS 100%. I know you can’t think about the “what if’s”, but it’s so hard not to when we’ve been superior to our opponents and have gotten so close on numerous occasions.

We always seem to fall short and the handful of disastrous playoff plays (Vernon Davis last second TD, Minn Miracle, Rams No Call, Cooks fumble, etc) will always be ingrained in my memory and drive the what if’s. I guess it makes it worse because in my mind, in an alternate reality, those plays don’t happen and we have 2-3 more SBs.

Yup...still in a funk. No shame in going down firing on all cylinders-but to choke....sheesh.

Not me. I was in a funk for a long time after the Rams no-call fiasco, but since then I no longer have the same intensity for the Saints or the NFL. A big part of the NFL died inside me that day. It has never come back and probably never will.

I'm with you, but it took a couple devistating losses in th elast couple playoffs for me to not care that much anymore. Life is about perspective. My life does not change in any way, shape, or form if we win or lose, so I let myself get excited for the wins but don't let myself get destroyed anymore if we lose.
Same here. I used to be in a funk for days when they loss and I’d feel ill. Now, especially after the no call, I can’t see myself getting that involved when someone other than the players control the outcome of the game. I still watch and pull for my team, but emotionally invested no longer. I fell back in love with baseball. That rules in the game haven’t changed much at all in a hundred years and that’s why I love it. Added replay and I haven’t seen one time when the umpire blatantly went against the replay and it actually helps the game in terms of fair officiating. Not the NFL, they refs went AGAINST fair officiating when they “tested” PI replays. They got all childlike and said “wah wah, well show you how powerful we are, we will make it fail no matter how obvious the calls are”. Stupid NFL

I'm in a funk, but it doesn't have to do with the Saints. My fiancee left me last Thursday.

I honestly watched the game Sunday hoping they won, but I was and still am numb to the whole thing.

Sorry to read that mate. I hope everything works out in due course.

for me in order of funk-ness:

1. 2011 sf playoff loss (was pretty distraught for months b/c I knew sf was the biggest obstacle and if they had managed to get past them, they would have crushed all the remaining teams and won a 2nd superbowl)

2. refs no call screwing the team (not as confident as above, but felt they probably would have won the superbowl). By this point I had become pretty bitter about the playoffs so it didn't upset me for as long as 2011. At the same time I took a huge step back in following the team and getting as involved as I used to be. it just was too heartbreaking otherwise.

3. losing vs minnesota in the final 12 seconds. I remember my mom calling me when they had just scored to pull head. I told her "just wait, these are the saints" unfortunately I was right. It could have been one of the greatest comebacks in Drew's career.

4. losing to a 7-9 seattle team in the playoffs. I know there were some injuries, but they really had no business losing to an inferior team.

5. losing at home vs Minnesota. The team just looked and played flat, uninspired football. The myth of dome field advantage really wore off by this point.

6. losing vs tampa. considering all we know now about all those injuries, I don't think they would have beaten GB, but it would have been really nice for Drew to go out winning hist last playoff game at home

Nope, I stopped getting hopes up after the Minny Miracle. We had a good shot at winning a title that year, but came to terms that snake bitten luck, will prevail 99% of the times against us (I was at 75% before that). I then, stopped emotionally investing after the “no flag”. That was truly our last best shot to win a title. We get in and we beat The Patriots. Simple, it was a tailor made victory. Once officials take something of that magnitude from me (as a fan) and that blatant, I tend to look at things through a different lens. I’m just a fan now, who has a favorite team. I will not let losses get me down ever again. Made that promise to myself awhile ago.

Last edited:
Not me. I was in a funk for a long time after the Rams no-call fiasco, but since then I no longer have the same intensity for the Saints or the NFL. A big part of the NFL died inside me that day. It has never come back and probably never will.

Part died for me during the Bountygate sham. Whatever was left died after the No-Call.

for me in order of funk-ness:

1. 2011 sf playoff loss (was pretty distraught for months b/c I knew sf was the biggest obstacle and if they had managed to get past them, they would have crushed all the remaining teams and won a 2nd superbowl)

2. refs no call screwing the team (not as confident as above, but felt they probably would have won the superbowl). By this point I had become pretty bitter about the playoffs so it didn't upset me for as long as 2011. At the same time I took a huge step back in following the team and getting as involved as I used to be. it just was too heartbreaking otherwise.

3. losing vs minnesota in the final 12 seconds. I remember my mom calling me when they had just scored to pull head. I told her "just wait, these are the saints" unfortunately I was right. It could have been one of the greatest comebacks in Drew's career.

4. losing to a 7-9 seattle team in the playoffs. I know there were some injuries, but they really had no business losing to an inferior team.

5. losing at home vs Minnesota. The team just looked and played flat, uninspired football. The myth of dome field advantage really wore off by this point.

6. losing vs tampa. considering all we know now about all those injuries, I don't think they would have beaten GB, but it would have been really nice for Drew to go out winning hist last playoff game at home

This is how I saw it:

1. 2011 sf playoff loss (was pretty distraught for months b/c I knew sf was the biggest obstacle and if they had managed to get past them, they would have crushed all the remaining teams and won a 2nd superbowl) - I was 90% confident on this one. Just because we destroyed the Giants a few weeks before wasn't a guarantee we would do it again (see Bucs this year.) Seemed like the Giants were destined to meet Brady and take him down for the first time.

2. refs no call screwing the team (not as confident as above, but felt they probably would have won the superbowl). By this point I had become pretty bitter about the playoffs so it didn't upset me for as long as 2011. At the same time I took a huge step back in following the team and getting as involved as I used to be. it just was too heartbreaking otherwise. - On this one I was 99.99999% sure we would've won it all. Everything lined up that year...similarities to 2009 season, luck, injuries...not to mention the weakest Bellichick/Brady Patriots team to ever make the Superbowl.

3. losing vs minnesota in the final 12 seconds. I remember my mom calling me when they had just scored to pull head. I told her "just wait, these are the saints" unfortunately I was right. It could have been one of the greatest comebacks in Drew's career. This was one was both gut-wrenching and stunning. I just sat there for a long time with my jaw stuck open. Continued the 2011 trend of choking in the final moments in a big game. Love seeing this highlight every year....

4. losing to a 7-9 seattle team in the playoffs. I know there were some injuries, but they really had no business losing to an inferior team. - I had no faith at all that we would win this one. We were on our 8th running back and for an offense that Payton had finally designed to run...we were out of ammo. Friend of mine called me before this game and asked how bad I thought we would win. I told him I thought we would lose. I was at a bar for my brother-in-laws 50th birthday when I had to watch this. There was a Seahawks fan (nice guy) who was so excited. Was running through the bar screaming and high-fiving everyone.

5. losing at home vs Minnesota. The team just looked and played flat, uninspired football. The myth of dome field advantage really wore off by this point. The Saints have 2 or 3 games a year where they come out and just look...flat (Raiders, Eagles this season.) However this was the first time I witnessed it in the playoffs. Was mostly just sad to watch.

6. losing vs tampa. considering all we know now about all those injuries, I don't think they would have beaten GB, but it would have been really nice for Drew to go out winning hist last playoff game at home - I honestly thought we would beat Tampa Bay. But there was this tiny voice in the back of my mind...created by all of the losses above....that kept trying to tell me otherwise. I should've listened. This was the saddest loss of all for me because I know it was Drew's last hurrah...and an era had ended. Along with my desire to watch anything NFL.

Well... I’m there!

I haven’t watched or listened to one postgame interview, nor seen any of the talking heads :blabla: segments.

Two turning points really deflated me:

1) losing Deonte, and

2) that fumble by Jared Cook. When I saw him carrying the ball loosely after the catch, I said “Oh no... tuck the ball away!!!” I guess he couldn’t hear me! :rant:

:gosaints:

Football is dead to me. Until this weekend. And the draft. And camp. If Goodell forces the same stupid COVID rules next year, I'm done with football.

I'm not in a funk, i'm excited to see how this roster is reshaped for next year.

If they had actually beaten us, I might have felt differently, but we gave it to them on a silver platter, so it really didn't affect me that much, on to the future...

Nah, no funk.

Maybe this weekend when the games are on or Super Bowl week. Doubt I'll watch 'em with much interest, but they'll be on .

Anyways, it's hockey season. Unfortunately, COVID seems to be taking its toll now that teams are playing outside of the "bubble".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom