Saints Anybody else still in a funk? ) (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Well... I’m there!

I haven’t watched or listened to one postgame interview, nor seen any of the talking heads :blabla: segments.

Two turning points really deflated me:

1) losing Deonte, and

2) that fumble by Jared Cook. When I saw him carrying the ball loosely after the catch, I said “Oh no... tuck the ball away!!!” I guess he couldn’t hear me! :rant:

:gosaints:

Yep still bummed. Of course there are more important things in life but the Saints are a great distraction. Something to look forward to each week. It stinks when the season ends, especially the way it did

I’ve been in a real funk since I saw the Brady Brees video after the game. It’s just hard to think that’s probably it for him and as this saints team as we know it. Hasn’t really sunk in or hit me yet. There is a finality to it which ultimately I am fine with its time. But still hasn’t fully sunk in I’m not readily over it yet.

it will take a few days that’s forsure. I can’t turn on a podcast of sports radio or anything it’s been a little too much for me still

I'm actually looking forward to see what Sean cooks up after Brees. This loss didn't really affect me that much. It got to a point where Tampa flipped a switch in intensity and the Saints offense couldn't match it. It played out just like the last few years so I knew how the movie ended. I'll watch these coming up games but something is missing without the fans in the stands

It's always a slow burn for me. It usually takes me till right after the Super Bowl to get over a season because by then I tell myself that 31 other fanbases are watching and wishing and feeling a bit incomplete just like us. So that weirdly eases the pain.

I'm glad we didn't lose in some heartbreaking fashion this time at least, but that came at the expense of Brees going out with an extreme dud of a final game. So that's disappointing.

And ultimately, you just instantly miss the feeling of hope. Football's playoffs are so sudden and the end is so definitive. The planning, the preparation, and the excitement which permeates over the entire city and fanbase and team with the hope of a championship-and boom-it's over.

100%. I reckon I'll be this way for a few weeks to come, too.

2006 was a year for optimism because a young, hungry team led by a newly-appointed head coach came from the clouds to make the NFCCG. Of course, it is disappointing to lose, but the team over-achieved. You could finish a season like that proud of the accomplishment and with a sense of optimism toward the future. Plus, we weren't at the Bears' level then.

2011 was what it was, but again, not knowing what was in store for Payton that following year, we still had the pieces in place to bounce back as at the final whistle. On one view we did two years later (to a point) before losing to the eventual champions, the Seahawks.

2017 hurt but it felt good to be back in the mix after several years in the wilderness and as cruel as 2018 was (and it may have been the worst exit of the lot given the surrounding circumstances), there was an ever-present sense of "we've got the young guys under contract to make another run or two for sure". And we did. I think taking some comfort from that knowledge mitigated the terrible sense of anguish that came with that loss.

These last two years have been terrible though. This year in particular just feels like it is the end of the road with this group. The thing that hurts most is that we didn't win a Super Bowl with all of the talent we have had. Frankly, it's a travesty.

I do believe we can get back into playoff contention in 2021 - we might even do enough to win the NFC South again - but I just don't see us being an upper-echelon team with our cap situation. This loss feels more final, to be honest.

Definitely in a funk. I’ve mentally prepared for life after Drew, but it’s just sad how he went out. I think that might have been one of his worst games even in the Super Dome.

It also sucks not having football to look forward to. Especially in Ontario where we are in a stay at home order with curfews. Not much going on.

Sorta. I think this one hurt so much for me because I really don’t think the Bucs are a better team and I really don’t even think they were better on the day. The Saints gave the game away, and despite some early miscues, I really felt completely comfortable up until Cook fumbled. Then instead of responding to that we just completely capitulated. Defense was demoralized, offense couldn’t get out of its own way. That’s what is so irritating for me about the game itself. Also the fact that if Drew does retire as expected he’s going out without a real send off from the fans, having played relatively poorly by his standards, it’s just not the way I want to see it end.

Overall though there’s plenty to look forward too. I’m not as worried about the cap situation as others mainly because I have faith in Loomis and I’m not convinced the cap is going to be as low as projected. We have pieces that with the right decisions and a bit of luck can allow us to reload rather than have to completely rebuild. Payton seems excited to stick around for a post-Brees project so we should be a fun team to watch for a while yet.

I never thought we'd do much this year so I can't say they let me down. But I'm not ready to think about Drew leaving. So yeah, I guess I am in a funk about that.

It's this pit in my stomach. Like when something's coming up on the calendar that you really don't want to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom